January 23, 2010 in Feedback
Looking through the resources, there's a Spanish language pack that has been flagged as being broken because when you import it, it will overwrite the English language.
Just thinking it would be nice if there was a way to go to import a language file but then have the option of overriding what it would normally do by selecting to have it overwrite an existing language pack or create a new/separate pack.
Either that or if it's supposed to overwrite an existing language, have it prompt you for confirmation, so you can prevent a tragedy from happening.
That resource should not be getting flagged, it is an IP.Board bug causing that issue, not something with that file. When you import a language pack like this, it should simply be added as a new language option.
When you import a language pack like this, it should simply be added as a new language option.
Then if the existing language already exists, it should be considered that by importing a file with new/edited strings for that language, that you are intending to update that existing language.
Should still be allowed to decide though. Warning that it's going to overwrite, along with an option of what to do.
A language pack should be updated if you already have it installed. This is determined by the locale setting, as I recall. If the spanish pack uses en_US then IPB thinks it's an en_US pack and updates the English pack. If you use sp_SP or whatever Spanish is, then a new language pack is created the first time you import. The second time, the pack should be updated.
Miscellaneous bugs with importing language packs have been reported over the life of IPB3, so it's probable any issues with this pack are related to IPB as Michael said.
Still would be nice to have control over where it goes. If nothing else, the ability to "lock" or "protect" a language set from imported language sets would be nice, where you will get notified of attempts to modify an existing set, so if you meant for it to happen, you can allow it, but would protect someone from doing it by accident and regretting it.
I had the same issues. The following workaround helped me out of the mess:
[*]I installed IP Board on a separate additional location (sandbox) and exported the original language.
[*]I made any secondary language (in my case German) to the default language.
[*]Then I deleted the English version and
[*]imported the exported (under 1) ) original English language pack
[*]Then I deleted the German Language Pack (as it contained Spanish words too)
[*]And last but not least I imported again the German Language Pack.
Based on Auron's work I created a working Spanish Language Pack, which you're invited to download http://www.ramgad.com/board/files/file/5-spanish-language-pack-305/.
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.
Started 20 hours ago
Started Wednesday at 11:08 PM
Started 14 hours ago