Suggestion: Make Facebook Connect More Visible!

Phillyman

The only place that a guest is shown a Facebook Connect option, is on the registration page. This is great for people who already are planning on registering, but what about the people who are reading a topic, looking at a blog, looking in the Gallery......and have no plans on being hassled with creating an account to post a comment? Many sites I go to, I just lurk and have no time to be bothered with signing up.....but if I see a Facebook Connect button.....I am willing to spend the 3 seconds to hit it.....and then post my reply.

Take a look at how these sites show off Facebook Connect.....

http://digg.com/

Digg posts it right at the top, plain as day!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

Again at the top of the page, although a bit hidden

http://www.tripadvisor.com/

Right at the top, one of the most recent places I used it.

Now where to put that pesky button? I think somewhere in the template of the site would be great....so that its displayed across the site. We could also show Facebook Connect buttons for Guests when they view a topic. Right now when a guest views a topic....they see two grayed out buttons that say....

You cannot reply to this topic
You cannot start a new topic

We could simply have them show up as....

Login with Facebook to Reply to this Topic
Login with Facebook to Start a New Topic

Now with Twitter integration coming into play, it may be a bit too much to fit on buttons, but never the less.....we need more exposure for these methods. If I am missing a simple way to add the button to my templates myself....please let me know %7Boption%7D

I tend to agree, it would be nice to have Facebook Connect (and Twitter) more prominent if enabled. I know exactly what you're saying, because I'm the same way. I might read something and want to reply, but won't bother registering to do so...but if there's a Facebook Connect button it might change my mind.

If I could give you +100,000 rep points......I would do it!

It only needs to show up for guests, maybe right under the Sign In / Register buttons? [img]

[/img]

Your missing the point of this thread - they are talking about making it more visible on a per thread basis. :)

Your missing the point of this thread - they are talking about making it more visible on a per thread basis. :)

How could I miss the point of this thread, I created it :lol:

Facebook Connect, if enabled on the global template.....would display everywhere. This includes topics, gallery, download manager, blog, ccs, links, tracker......you get the point.

• 2 months later...

The sign in bar on each was changed to show the Facebook Connect icon, which should make it more visible to everyone.

Could have done a lot better.

Right now 'Facebook Connect' icon will direct to normal Sign In page.. it should have direct to Facebook Connect sign in page.

It would be good to include Facebook Connect button at the bottom of each topic so guest can reply right away.

• Management

There is no Facebook Connect log in page. To have it show the FB JS pop-up, it would mean adding all the FB JS to each page which would slow things down a fair bit.

We do plan on improving visibility over future releases, though.

There is no Facebook Connect log in page. To have it show the FB JS pop-up, it would mean adding all the FB JS to each page which would slow things down a fair bit.

We do plan on improving visibility over future releases, though.

Sorry that is what I meant,

click on 'Facebook Connect' icon should show FB JS pop-up instead directing to IPB login page.

I see what you mean about FB JS to each page would slow things down but would be nice to option ON/OFF option in ACP...

Archived