4.8MB global storage?

Collin1000

• 2 weeks later...

At the end of the day, this is our company forum and not a site meant to do file and image hosting from. I think having a limit is quite reasonable. If you need to host larger files, you can use 3rd party services and link to the file. You can also of course remove old attachments no longer needed if you need to free up some space here.

At the end of the day, this is our company forum and not a site meant to do file and image hosting from. I think having a limit is quite reasonable. If you need to host larger files, you can use 3rd party services and link to the file. You can also of course remove old attachments no longer needed if you need to free up some space here.

Yeah, but I just think it detracts me from posting helpful screenshots to users. If I removed an attachment, it would be gone, breaking the old topic.

Post it in the gallery in that case. That's what I usually do, especially for tracker.

If your against image storage, that totally defeats the purpose.

The post uploader is right there, in the reply. I dont have to load up the gallery and upload it there.

My 2 cents. :whistle:

It's not image storage specifically. Our site simply isn't a file hosting site. 5MB for forums x 100,000 users is 50GB space. Then there's Gallery space. And IP.Downloads space.

If you want to host many files, link to them. If you have a small image to upload, fine, but you've only got 5MB (in the forums, at present at least) to play with. :P

It's not image storage specifically. Our site simply isn't a file hosting site. 5MB for forums x 100,000 users is 50GB space. Then there's Gallery space. And IP.Downloads space.

Im gonna host my images (thats all ive ever uploaded, really) on IPS anyway. Gallery or post, makes no difference to me. So its kinda moot.
Not all those 100,000 users use any of that space, either. So its not fair to say that.

but you've only got 5MB (in the forums, at present at least)

At least its possible to make it bigger :whistle:

I give my regular members 30mb storage space and new members 1mb of storage space. The reality is that only a handful are going to use the maximum.

My suggestion here on these forums would be to auto promote members with over 1000 posts to a senior member group and give them say 10mb of space. My guess is that would be at most a thousand or so members.

3DKiwi

I say, give non active customers like a floppy disk worth of space and then give active customers about 16mb.

My suggestion here on these forums would be to auto promote members with over 1000 posts to a senior member group and give them say 10mb of space. My guess is that would be at most a thousand or so members.3DKiwi

More than a thousand or so. Also, some members might then try to reach that limit faster just to get the extra storage, which would increase the number of posts that are just "I agree" and "hi everyone!"

Mine's limited to the same as yours. I don't see it as a huge problem myself to be honest. :)

I just delete the older attachments (typically screenshots) as the topic they were used in will have long been seen and resolved.

For bug reports, I always just upload to the Gallery and then link them.

I can see the logic in suggesting a higher limit for +Active Customers though compared to the member group, even if (assuming the standard member group has the same 4.8mb space) if involves reducing their space slightly to do this.

Archived