Recent Activity for 3.1?

Brett B

Is there any likelihood that the Recent Activity feature that was originally in the preview version of 3.0 might resurface in 3.1? I recall the issue being with the search index that was used to find a user's activity across all apps. What if, at least to begin with, it just pulls activity from IP.Board?

I mean just showing activity from IP.Board. I may be wrong, but I thought one of the hurdles you were facing with the Recent Activity was efficiently pulling activity from all apps. If that is indeed the case, my suggestion was to implement the feature just using a user's activity from IP.Board, at least for the time being. It was a nice feature.

I mean just showing activity from IP.Board. I may be wrong, but I thought one of the hurdles you were facing with the Recent Activity was efficiently pulling activity from all apps. If that is indeed the case, my suggestion was to implement the feature just using a user's activity from IP.Board, at least for the time being. It was a nice feature.

That's effectively what the Topics and Posts tabs that are already there do, though. What benefit would adding another tab give, over the two that are already in place?

I was under the impression that a Recent Activity feed would show things like giving reputation, adding friends, posting comments on profiles, status updates, etc. You could also show starting/replying to topics.

Something like that would be really cool.

• 2 months later...

I agree with Brett. A user recent activity feed is different. When looking at a user activity feed you should see an overview of all the activity that using has been doing. A global activity would also be very beneficial.

As I remember the activity feed within 3.0 beta was very resource intensive and should be reintroduced at a later point of time (version 3.1?). It would be nice to know if there are still plans on bringing back the activity feed?

Example Activity Feed Screenshot (from a different site)
%7Boption%7D

As I remember the activity feed within 3.0 beta was very resource intensive and should be reintroduced at a later point of time (version 3.1?). It would be nice to know if there are still plans on bringing back the activity feed?

We would love to bring this back, if it's feasible, but it's not in the works at this moment.

• 7 months later...

I was under the impression that a Recent Activity feed would show things like giving reputation, adding friends, posting comments on profiles, status updates, etc. You could also show starting/replying to topics.

Something like that would be really cool.

Please bring this back, it is a big plus for community websites.

• 1 month later...

This would be proper implementation of the whole status updates feature. It's complex, but this is something that would definitely add value and set IPB apart from other software. Anything less than a complete implementation is useless. Make sure we have the ability to add this feed anywhere. I got rid of all the board index hooks in my forum, because I don't like dynamic user-controlled elements that make it so different users get a different experience.

Bob>Jeff Wow, your profile is really neat!
Jeff I added some info in my profile!
Rachel posted a new image: My trip to 7-11
Igor posted a new file: Slurpee Song
Rachel is now friends with Frank

This would be proper implementation of the whole status updates feature. It's complex, but this is something that would definitely add value and set IPB apart from other software. Anything less than a complete implementation is useless. Make sure we have the ability to add this feed anywhere. I got rid of all the board index hooks in my forum, because I don't like dynamic user-controlled elements that make it so different users get a different experience.

Bob>Jeff Wow, your profile is really neat!

Jeff I added some info in my profile!

Rachel posted a new image: [u]My trip to 7-11[/u]

Igor posted a new file: [u]Slurpee Song[/u]

Rachel is now friends with Frank

Have a look at a site using my application: http://www.fansfocus.com/spy

It supports Downloads, Blog and Forums, with more integration to be added in future. Purchase link is in my sig.

p.s. There's also a sidebar hook to display this information (both display pages are updated within seconds of the action taking place.)

• 5 months later...

Archived