Auto-resize lightbox images in posts

KiteLife

I love the addition of Lightbox with the last major version upgrade, however, a lot of my users are complaining because some of the images are too big for their monitors and they aren't able to view the whole picture at once because lightbox doesn't resize for the resolution like most browsers do when the image opens in it's own page... It'd be WAY better if lightbox would auto-resize to the viewer's screen size, and I understand that technology is available.

Also, when I have lightbox turned off so images open full-browser, they open in the same window, so you have to hit "back" and some of my users are closing the forum by accident... Any chance they could be forced to open in a new window instead like they used to?

Both of these would make major improvements to the current IPB, please! :)

Add vote for both suggestions. Opening in a new window as it was in version 2 was far superior to how it is now. One reason is that it allowed image comparisons to be done with several images open at once.

We need more options and control over image attachments.

3DKiwi

• 3 months later...

For us in the forum is the same problem.
Would best be solved this way, control the uploaded pictures and possible shrink him straight to a given size. For example, 800x600 and the original image is erased. It will save disk space and users will also be satisfied.

I love the addition of Lightbox with the last major version upgrade, however, a lot of my users are complaining because some of the images are too big for their monitors and they aren't able to view the whole picture at once because lightbox doesn't resize for the resolution like most browsers do when the image opens in it's own page... It'd be WAY better if lightbox would auto-resize to the viewer's screen size, and I understand that technology is available.

My vote is implement it, but make it a user-toggleable choice. I constantly use a notebook without a mouse and this thing has bothered me too, but from user feedback I hear some users are enjoying the "100%" view. A lot of people use mice with horizontal and vertical scrollwheels so for them it is more of a feature than a bug, and I think they would miss it. Alternative would be to use screensized lightbox for display by default and have a button to expand the lytebox to full image resolution at user choice.

Also, when I have lightbox turned off so images open full-browser, they open in the same window, so you have to hit "back" and some of my users are closing the forum by accident... Any chance they could be forced to open in a new window instead like they used to?

Although many sites still do that, it is considered "bad web authoring" and is not compliant to W3 standards. I have had a heated debate over that when I switched from phpbb to IPB a few months back (phpbb was set to open any link in a new tab). I decided to leave it at the "open in same window" option for links. Every user has the option of using STRG + click to open a window in a new tab. A website should not take too much control on the browser behavior and opening popups and new tabs is just that.

Third vote here. I would love to see a slideshow implementation of images on the current topics page. Maybe an option to view 2, 4 or 8 at a time.. etc.

That is a nice idea.

Again, I'd like to say I much prefer the lightbox option, especially being able to flip through any other attached images in the same post.

On a side note, I have only noted by accident that you can flip through multiple pictures in posts by using the left and right arrow keys in the lightbox. I feel that there should be a short instruction / reminder in the lightbox bottom line telling users that this is possible. Or maybe I am backward and every one knows anyways.

Although many sites still do that, it is considered "bad web authoring" and is not compliant to W3 standards. I have had a heated debate over that when I switched from phpbb to IPB a few months back (phpbb was set to open any link in a new tab). I decided to leave it at the "open in same window" option for links. Every user has the option of using STRG + click to open a window in a new tab. A website should not take too much control on the browser behavior and opening popups and new tabs is just that.

You should have seen the debates on the preview site before 3.0 was ever released. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Both of these would make major improvements to the current IPB, please! :)

Oh dear!

I was looking for solution whole day. Finaly found this post here.

Lightbox is great. But without auto reszie option it is not that good.

one more vote here!

I'll add to this. Even with the gallery people will still generally attach photos and at the minute it seems there is no way of resizing a photo when it is attached other than a filesize which is hit and miss. Im another that is unfortunatly considering removing the lightbox option simply so that people can view the images as resized by their browser for viewing. Not an answer to the problem though.

Late to the party here I know but I just re-installed IPB for the 1st time in yeeears (been doing other scripts tho - wordpress, drupal, phpbb, etc). Hell I was pleasantly surprised that IPB even includes lightbox. Having said that I'd have even rather seen them take it further and include a script that would do modal windows for all types of media esp. video. I usually opt for shadowbox on wordpress sites and try to use thumbnails with popups for all images and video. I just think its way more visually attractive.

Back to the topic at hand tho - lightbox resizing... It's doable. I just found this link regarding resizable lightboxes in WP plugins which may hold the info needed for someone to hack the IPB lightbox js file to get a similiar result.

• 3 months later...

has there been any solution for this? its a bit disappointing for many of users..

I'm guessing that the developers arent too interested in this :blink:....
I'm going to look at the possibility of swapping out the lightbox functionality of IPB with something more up to date but it's way down on my priority list and since I'm trying to get a site "live" on a schedule if its too much trouble I'll probably just forget about it.

Still, I can't for the life of me understand why the IPB devel team went with what amounts to an antique in regards to modal (lightbox) functionality when there are a dozen more evolved solutions available now ie. lightbox2, shadowbox, colorbox, prettyphoto etc.. etc.. etc.. that I'd think woud have been just as easy to implement for php programmers and that not only resize images automatically but also work for video's, html, and more.

We use lightbox2, fyi.

Colorbox is jquery. Prettyphoto is for jquery. IPB uses prototype, not jquery. So shadowbox is the only suggested one that we could use, and whether that's better or worse than lightbox2 is personal opinion.

We will likely look at image resizing in IPB 3.2. I'm not really sure what there is for us devs to say until that point, however. :) Feature requests are noted, and we also take note of the frequency of the requests, their support and the value they add to the product. Just because we don't reply doesn't mean we don't notice. ;)

Preciate ur reply bfarber.
Duly noted as far as the javascript used/needed for different "lightbox's".....Regarding lightbox (or lightbox2) vs. shadowbox I guess it is a personal preference but IMHO theres no contest.....shadowbox will do html, images, youtube vides etc. etc. and it's always been "smoother" for me on various computer setup's and all browsers.

While I appreciate that u guys may look at alternatives for 3.2.....Well, that's good news for some but I imagine I'll have so much customization done to the site I'm using IPB for that it's far from a given that I'll do any upgrades other than security patches but who know's.

I just wish some php/javascript wiz would take a little time and draw up a guide for a drop in replacement - shadowbox for lightbox. I've actually got shadowbox working on mine now (still in build/testing process) but not perfectly. Using html posting I can do vids and pics, and I reckon I can do some custom html to bbcode to make it easier but thumbnail attachments aren't acting right, at least yet. Thumb attachments are launching shadowbox, height resizes but width ain't right. It looks like shadowbox is seeing attachments as something other than links to images and launching in the SB iframe "player".

Archived