IPS Add-Ons (Blog, IDM, IP.G)

Nuclear General

Hello,

Will there be an option to use the 2.0.x, 3.0.x style of the Blogs, IDM, IP.G? TBH, I really don't like the new looks of IP.B, IP.D and IP.G. They just look retarded. Kinda like a 4 year old would make... The blog has no color to it anymore and these "sidebars" get annoying all the time... It's just a stupid way of putting the stats in a sidebar... The main blog view just looks like... well, you know... crap. The entry view looks even worse, when I first installed the beta, I couldn't find my around to find the edit, feature ect links. The IP.D sidebar is not needed IMO. It just takes up too much room and leaves a big whitespace on the side. The big green "Download Now" button looks stupid. If some can't find the regular "Download" link in 2.0.x, then they must not be looking hard enough if you put a bigger button in.... And all the stats were pretty much changed/altered drastically in 2.1.x. The gallery looks alot worse now... the main view is plain now, and has weird colors. The image view should have stayed the same. It looked better. I'd would rather like to use the first 2.0.x, 3.0.x style of IP.B, IP.D & IP.G. They look better... And don't take offense to this... I'm just stating my honest opinions on the new x.1.x versions of the IPS Apps. All I am asking is that there be option to use the previous version style. They looked sooo much better and was easier to access. And this whole post may sound rude in some way, but part of it is just my very honest opinion on the updated versions...

Donald

No, we will not have legacy skin options. Gallery does retain the legacy "forum" view, and Blog has both the block and table listing views, but there won't be legacy skin options.

You are free to reskin the applications, or not upgrade, if you don't like the new versions naturally.

What about the stupid new sidebar? :lol: That thing just takes up too much space and leaves a big gap beneath it.

That would entirely depend on how many categories you have which are linked to. If you only have 2 categories, then go and delete the sidebar from the skin templates. If you have 30 categories, it'll most likely fill that 'big gap' you mention.

(and I'm sure the designer will see this thread, so your feedback is heard, even if we don't change anything).

True, but I still think there should be an option to use the legacy styles. I seriously don't want to try and skin all three apps to the legacy style myself. That would take forever and it's a pain in the arse to skin that much!

would it not look better all round if all the "teaser" style extracts on the blog index had html styling removed
either as a option or as default
all looks a bit messy when have a few blogs that use a lot of styling

also the styling of
Hello! We have 2,253 blogs, with a total of 2,684 entries and 6,017 comments.
seems out of place ?

fit in better in a sidebar block maybe ?

The Blog Stats section at the bottom of the page should have stayed there. Putting it in a sidebar block was just stupid. It looks like crap if you ask me. I'd like to use the new versions, one; because of the new features, and two; because of the new downloads FURL option and gallery friend feature. But I can't cuz they look like crap. :lol:

One man's crap is another man's treasure. :)

Anytime there is change, there are some that like it and some that don't. You can't please everyone. There was the same discussion when the IPB2.0 skin was released about how horrible it was compared to 1.x and that people were going to switch because of it. Then again when 3.0 was released with people being upset about their 2.x being changed. People naturally are resistant to change, however once they get used to it, they appreciate it more. I've actually got a 1.x board I still occasionally play around with. It's fun to look back and see the differences between then and now.

Regarding being able to select between "legacy" and current.... it's not much of a long term solution.

a) It's more work to maintain as you go forward as upgrades
b) The more "options" you add (for example a toggle between modes), the more you confuse new users
c) What happens when the look is ever changed again? Do we have the Legacy-Legacy version?

Why add all that work? If someone really hates it that much, they would be applying a skin to it anyway. The idea with the redesign is to have something that is consistent with the rest of the product's look and feel. The idea is to have a generic base that is easy for people to take and make their own. The current designs do that pretty well with neutral colors and an easy to use skinning system.

One man's crap is another man's treasure. :)

True. :D

Anytime there is change, there are some that like it and some that don't. You can't please everyone. There was the same discussion when the IPB2.0 skin was released about how horrible it was compared to 1.x and that people were going to switch because of it. Then again when 3.0 was released with people being upset about their 2.x being changed. People naturally are resistant to change, however once they get used to it, they appreciate it more. I've actually got a 1.x board I still occasionally play around with. It's fun to look back and see the differences between then and now.

Yeah, I can see that, 1.x was still pretty kewl. I go back and forth every now and then. Just to look back on the old days! :D

Regarding being able to select between "legacy" and current.... it's not much of a long term solution.

a) It's more work to maintain as you go forward as upgrades

b) The more "options" you add (for example a toggle between modes), the more you confuse new users

c) What happens when the look is ever changed again? Do we have the Legacy-Legacy version?

Why add all that work? If someone really hates it that much, they would be applying a skin to it anyway. The idea with the redesign is to have something that is consistent with the rest of the product's look and feel. The idea is to have a generic base that is easy for people to take and make their own. The current designs do that pretty well with neutral colors and an easy to use skinning system.

I can understand that part. I can come to like change every now and then, but the way the new blog looks, I don't even think I can like it at all. It doesn't even LOOK LIKE a blog IMHO. It really don't. The blog sidebar is just.... I won't even say it! :lol: And the new downloads sidebar is totally un-needed. I can probably stand the new gallery though, but the other two.... YUCK!! :lol:

True, but I still think there should be an option to use the legacy styles. I seriously don't want to try and skin all three apps to the legacy style myself. That would take forever and it's a pain in the arse to skin that much!

You just admitted it would take forever and be a "pain in the arse to skin that much" but you want US to do it? :P We have too much going on to indefinitely support legacy styles. We get this same topic every time anything in the skin changes. It's the nature of web applications - the style will change over time to match more current conventions.

I can understand that part. I can come to like change every now and then, but the way the new blog looks, I don't even think I can like it at all. It doesn't even LOOK LIKE a blog IMHO. It really don't. The blog sidebar is just.... I won't even say it! :lol: And the new downloads sidebar is totally un-needed. I can probably stand the new gallery though, but the other two.... YUCK!! :lol:

ACTUALLY, the new blog MUCH more resembles a blog than the old layout. Just look at virtually any blog on the internet. You have a sidebar with these things and the rest of the content fills a column (entry + comments). I would disagree with your statement.

The homepage is harder to compare, because there aren't many products that do the same thing IP.Blog does (allow multiple members to create a blog on a single site). Most blogs are owned by one person and that's that.

To add my two cents; I was previously disappointed with the overall look and usability of the blog/gallery/download apps that were available with IPB 3.0. But the new releases are definitely a huge improvement and step in the right direction. The only thing I can't get my head around is all the shouting going on in IP.Blog, "IMPORTANT BLOGS", "RECENT ENTRIES", etc, it just comes off as unprofessional to me, but then as this can be quite easily changed when re-skinning its not really much of a problem.

Archived