[suggestion] Identify "New Content" across tabs?

KiteLife

When I bring up "View New Content", there are the various tabs (forum, gallery, etc), each of which can have new content...

As it's set up now, if you brought up the forum tab and saw new content there, it'd be very easy to overlook new content on any of the other tabs unless you specifically looked at each one.

I wonder if someone could add a feature or hook that puts the # of new items on each tab that has content?

Essentially, a "2" or whatever number of new items, right on the relevant tab.

At the moment I miss stuff on the calendar, blogs and gallery, getting lost in forum posts. :(

Anyway, I think this would be a nice addition, 2 cents delivered. :)

This has been suggested before. It's not feasible, however, because it would mean on every view new content page you would have to run the search query for every OTHER tab that you AREN'T viewing to get the count.

That means instead of one search query per search page (which is bad enough), you'd be running 5 or more. From a resources point of view we simply can't do that.

Fair enough, I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at however. :)

Right now, forum users must remember to manually flip through the tabs for new content...

Knowing human nature, there is a fair % of content that simply won't get seen by those who don't flip through everything.

Any alternatives, to the same effect?

Thanks for the reply Brandon, you guys ROCK, no matter what.

Fair enough, I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at however. :)

Right now, forum users must remember to manually flip through the tabs for new content...

Knowing human nature, there is a fair % of content that simply won't get seen by those who don't flip through everything.

Any alternatives, to the same effect?

Thanks for the reply Brandon, you guys ROCK, no matter what.

With a few modifications, you might be able to do this if you can use Sphinx on your server, since it's much more resource friendly.

I'd really like to see the combined search index that was originally planned (and implemented, but removed) for 3.0.

..Al

Well.....in our test bed (the preview site) it didn't work out so hot with resources. Part of the problem was indexing members, I suppose. Anytime someone registered, updated their name, etc. it had to update the index. Anytime someone posted or edited a post it had to update the index. Then anytime someone searched it had to update the index. So, in reality something that was supposed to save from table locking on critical tables actually *caused* critical functions to get locked up while trying to update/insert into the search index.

That's not to say we'll never see something like it. But the code originally used wouldn't have worked out too well unfortunately.

That's not to say we'll never see something like it. But the code originally used wouldn't have worked out too well unfortunately.

Would be nice to see this re-engineered and come back eventually. It really opens the door for some nice features, aside from the combined "View New Content" results (such as the "Recent Updates" tab on the member profile page).

..Al

Archived