Extending the Facebook Integration

Andy Millne

I have just set up the Facebook Connect integration but I think the Facebook side of the application is underutilised. It would be good if we could extend the functionality of this to update people's news feeds when they make a new post on the forums/gallery/tracker etc. (optional of course). Is this even possible?

What other things could the Facebook side of things be used for?

I would actually like if they allow to choose display name different. I think i tried to login using Facebook and their was no option to change display name for me.

Most of the people on our forums have started using Facebook connect and it does have increased traffic.

On my IP.Board set up, I was able to login and change my display name shortly after I logged in with FB. But the option is pretty hidden and should be part of the 'Facebook Connect Options" but instead had to be accessed on the regular name change section:

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=displayname

Only problem here in the Invison forum, you need your password to change your display name and if you logged in with FB, there is no password or one is assinged based on the FB session so you probably cannot retrive it. On my installation, it didn't ask me for a pass since I had just signed in but when I look at the option after I logged off and back on, it needs my pass. I can, of course, over ride this in the ACP but you definitely don't want to do that for everyone that registers. I posted about this a while back but never got an answer so I guess untl they revise the FB options, we are probably going to have to find work arounds..

As for sharing a post, that feature is already on the Blogs so it shouldn't be all that hard to add to the forums. but for the mean time you can use something like 'Add This' button and edit the posting template.

Okay, i see how it works. You have to log off and log back in with facebook connect and right after go to the change name screen and no password will be required. If however you have closed your browser and return to the forum, you'll still be logged in but have to use the password to change your display name. So I'm thinking the sesssion is actually expired when it comes to name changes but not expired to post upon reconnect.

To effect your name change it has to be done on the same session as your initial login.

[quote name='ΑndyF' date='16 November 2009 - 01:18 PM' timestamp='1258377516' post='1879673']
I think there might be a limit regarding what data can be exchanged from Facebook to your IP.Board installation, possibly as some kind of data protection / privacy on Facebook's side of it. :)

I've not looked into it though.

I meant the other way. updating peoples facebook with new topics, posts etc and links back

[quote name='AndyMillne' date='16 November 2009 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1258378273' post='1879677']
I meant the other way. updating peoples facebook with new topics, posts etc and links back

yes I've been looking for the exact same thing, i'm gonna have a look trough a few apps if I find anything i'll post it here, but it would be nice to have one straight from Invision.

• 8 months later...

Archived