<Suggestion> Craigslist style community moderation

TackleUnderground

One of the few things I enjoy about Craigslist is the community "flagging" feature used there. (most either love it or hate it)

For example on IPB, permitted usergroups can "flag" a topic or post,
after X amount of flags the topic/post is automatically set into moderation que and report issued to all applicable mods.
An extra setting to control amount of flags issued per group, similar to rep system would be even better.

Doesn't seem to be a huge implementation, seems it would bolt nicely to the IPB moderation logic.

I have 2 mods that handle a relatively well behaved community of 11,000, but when a spammer gets on board, we usually recieve multiple reports before a mod can act.
a community moderation feature like above would be very effective in this scenario.

comments?

Thanks.

it kinda makes sense i'm not sure if this is a feature at the moment but would be cool to have a feature where if a post/topic is reported it is automatically hidden etc. Another thing i was thinking about was that if a topic/post were to drop below a certain amount on reputation points it could go through a similar process.

I wouldn't be against adding a setting to report manager that if something is flagged x times it goes into mod queue. I wouldn't want it at 1 (some people could report something for no reason, or just because they dislike the member, or don't know what they are doing), but maybe 2 or 3 (admin-configurable is best option).

[quote name='bfarber' date='09 November 2009 - 03:25 PM' timestamp='1257780321' post='1877397']
I wouldn't be against adding a setting to report manager that if something is flagged x times it goes into mod queue. I wouldn't want it at 1 (some people could report something for no reason, or just because they dislike the member, or don't know what they are doing), but maybe 2 or 3 (admin-configurable is best option).

exactly!

[quote name='bfarber' date='09 November 2009 - 10:25 AM' timestamp='1257780321' post='1877397']

Yep, most often, our members are quick to reply to spam posts, expressing their disapproval. With a flagging system, the post/topic would be pulled for review without immediate moderator participation.

Don't mean to appear lazy or lax in our moderation, myself and our 2 mods are in the USA and if a spammer hits overnight, usually our overseas members are already giving the spammer an earfull before we can wake up and pull the ad. :lol:

Archived