UCP Suggestions

Wolf

I have some suggestions that I would love to see implemented in the UCP in the future; these suggestions are both original and derived from other forum software. I hope to see some added in the future!

UCP Layout
I don't think the tabbed layout works that well with the UCP. I like the fact that there are tabs, but I don't like the fact the layout revolves around them. I like the old style of the left-hand-side options. Possibly some AJAX for expanding and contracting them, and maybe still use tabs a bit? It's sometimes complex to understand which tab something is on (profile & settings get confused alot) etc; also, make common features accessable easily (possibly an optional dashboard?)

Profile Field Privacy/Private Profiles
I've noticed this feature in vB, and I fell in-love with it. I know that IPB is trying to stay away from becoming a massive scattered social network platform, but this is a feature I see as very useful; especially in the area of hiding contact details for only friends to see; and for preventing ignored users from viewing areas of the profile/posting messages. I strongly support implimenting this into IPB3

Those are my main concerns, also, there are some posted on this thread (CUSTOMER/STAFF ACCESS ONLY, SORRY).

I hope to see these added soon!

I like the fact that the UCP got some attention in IP.Board 3.x and has a new structure to it, but I too sometimes find it hard to locate the setting I need. Someone in the other topic mentioned a live search system similar to the ACP, I think that would be great. It's not like live-searching the whole board, there is a much smaller set of data that would need to be searched and that data set would only expand with the addition of new areas in the UCP through the installation of new apps/modules, not through simply having more posts/members on a site.

This suggestion gets a +1 from me :)

Have to agree with my fellow IPB3 users here. The UCP could use some work. Takes me a bit, even now, to find settings to change. The last UCP was easy right out of the box.

Also, the comments section of the Profile/UCP. It could a reply-to link when someone leaves a comment that takes you directly to it's own discussion thread of sorts. If I'm not mistaken, vB has this. It's one of the few things I like about vB software.

Regards,

Wilford Tibbetts

I actually adore the new UCP. I'm still going to be redesigning my profiles because, well I always re-design my profiles. It's pretty self explanatory really and far more user friendly. I can see everything and I'm not scrolling for lengths to find something for the blog because there is now a blog tab etc.

As for the Privacy thing I don't care either way. I'm sure there is a pretty easy way to add a field to the members table in the database and add a verifier for the profile. There are a few innate problems with this though:
This information gets called all over the site.
You would have to make a lot of file edits if you want it to honor such a setting all over the site.

I do believe that Socializer will be updating with this release and I believe that it will give you the features you want but I do not believe that it is a free mod.

I would like to add one more thing. When ever I click on watch this topic it links to me Please choose your notification method in UCP. Can't I just select it once? I personally don't like moving back and forth. I would like to remain on same page after clicking on "watch this topic".

More or less if anyone likes to change anytime they can go to Manage Watched Topics in UCP and always change it.

[quote name='AlexJ' date='02 November 2009 - 06:52 PM' timestamp='1257205945' post='1874793']
I would like to add one more thing. When ever I click on watch this topic it links to me Please choose your notification method in UCP. Can't I just select it once? I personally don't like moving back and forth. I would like to remain on same page after click on "watch this topic".

More or less if anyone likes to change anytime they can go to Manage Watched Topics in UCP and always change it.

That's actually a sensible use of AJAX which we can look into :) I would still give people the option, it won't necessarily be the same every time, but the options can be presented inline, without leaving the topic.

[quote name='Rikki' date='02 November 2009 - 11:54 PM' timestamp='1257206094' post='1874794']
That's actually a sensible use of AJAX which we can look into :) I would still give people the option, it won't necessarily be the same every time, but the options can be presented inline, without leaving the topic.

If you can do that it would be awesome. :) Most of my forum members will love it including me. 80% time people prefer to stick with one notification which they normally use. Like in my case I always use instant notifications. I am not sure what others choose. I just don't want to leave the topic page. :)

Thanks.

Archived