VBULLETIN USERS WORRIED ABOUT SKINNING

Nityananda

OK guys,
I am currently running a vbulletin forum with a professional design set. My first and foremost worry about moving over to invision was the design of my forum. My thought behind this is that it is going to be a big enough move over to invision as it stands without the fact that the forum will look completely different.

NOW, bare in mind I only purchased invision less than 24 hours ago. I have almost managed to duplicate the look of my forum with only a very very basic knowledge of CSS and some knowledge of photoshop. How have I done this? I would seriously urge you to have a good read through the topic on this forum http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/index.php?showtopic=37422

This tutorial, I would print out and have at the side of you throughout your transition. Its simple, and it works...... Dont worry about your skinning guys. IMO its easier than vbulletin 3.8 and at the end of the day, you would have to learn 4.0 anyways.

[quote name='soniceffect' date='24 October 2009 - 02:28 PM' timestamp='1256394490' post='1870922']
OK guys,
I am currently running a vbulletin forum with a professional design set. My first and foremost worry about moving over to invision was the design of my forum. My thought behind this is that it is going to be a big enough move over to invision as it stands without the fact that the forum will look completely different.

NOW, bare in mind I only purchased invision less than 24 hours ago. I have almost managed to duplicate the look of my forum with only a very very basic knowledge of CSS and some knowledge of photoshop. How have I done this? I would seriously urge you to have a good read through the topic on this forum http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/index.php?showtopic=37422

This tutorial, I would print out and have at the side of you throughout your transition. Its simple, and it works...... Dont worry about your skinning guys. IMO its easier than vbulletin 3.8 and at the end of the day, you would have to learn 4.0 anyways.

This is really a great source to lower the "switch-barrier"!

Thanks for the tip!

[quote name='Charles' date='24 October 2009 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1256394679' post='1870923']
Wow... great guide :)

Indeed it is ..... In fact I would be tempted to urge you to get one of these forefront on the forum here as it would cure many peoples fears of moving ;)

Thanks. Pretty handy for us IPB long time users as well. I have saved the 2 pages as a pdf so that i can easily refer to them.

One tool that I found indispensible for tweaking skins is the Firefox plugin called "Firebug". This shows you the css element of wherever you click. You can note that down then edit the appropriate style sheet. The best part is you can test making changes of the css but without having to go into the ACP and physically changing the css file.

Cheers
Nigel / 3DKiwi

I'm really glad, I've been of some help :)

This should be done in couple more days.
I need to edit a whole thread, first, so there is one post for every section.

Could you be more specific. What exact images?

Would it be possible to link the index to all the individual posts?

Might be nice to have a follow up one on images too tho.

So far, I've been able to edit a whole thread, so every entry has its own post.
Now, I'm in progress of creating clickable entries (those underlined are clickable already), but I need to get some sleep, so I'll continue tomorrow...:)

Hey broni... first of all your tutorial has helped me no end, so thankyou.

One thing missing from your basic tutorial which I struggled on is the location of css items for the sidebar. Managed to go through practically the whole forum with your tut however this was the one thing missing. Other than that it goddam perfect for anyone new to this. :)

[quote name='broni' date='25 October 2009 - 06:42 AM' timestamp='1256452936' post='1871149']
I'm really glad, I've been of some help :)

This should be done in couple more days.
I need to edit a whole thread, first, so there is one post for every section.

Could you be more specific. What exact images?

by images i meant a guide outlining all the images used on the board and how to replace them. Its a important part of the skinning process.

[quote name='R1Lover' date='25 October 2009 - 01:10 AM' timestamp='1256458246' post='1871157']
Does anyone know why every time I save the css file in the admicp it deletes it rather then saving my changes?

This is driving me nuts lol

This may be a problem with the PHP extension 'suhosin', you might want to ask your host about it.

[quote name='BacTalan' date='25 October 2009 - 12:05 PM' timestamp='1256497551' post='1871368']
This may be a problem with the PHP extension 'suhosin', you might want to ask your host about it.

Thanks, I did some searching and found the issue was in fact suhosin, I adjusted the configuration of suhosin and all is well.

Archived