Download: (caps) Automated Link Moderation

capbiker

File Name: (caps) Automated Link Moderation
File Submitter: capbiker
File Submitted: 19 Oct 2009
File Updated: 21 Nov 2009
File Category: Applications

This application/hook allows you automatically add any posts from new users that contains any types of links to the moderation queue for your approval. If a new user posts something that do not contains any links at all, then this application/hook will allow them through without adding them to the moderation queue.

You can set the number of posts required before the user can actually post the links without your approval from within the member group options.

This application/hook is good for admin who gets a lot of spam being posted with links within the posts, and allowing normal members to carry on posting without the requirement for you to approve all posts before hand.

Note:-

There was a problem with version 1.0.0 not working correctly, hopefully this as now been fixed in 1.0.1 and all links detection is working as required.

Click here to download this file

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Century242

Mod sounds really useful. Installed on a test system on the server and other than generating a slew of server errors because of a missing image file for the Admin area, nothing happens when a supposedly restricted member makes a post with a link. The post appears the same as any other post.

Nice try, but no cigar.

What happens if you have that group of force mod preview, will this hook bypass it, and still automatically approve the topic/post if there is not link?

No it should not effect the force mod preview option. All it does is look to see if the user requires the post to be checked to see if there is links. If it does, then it will check to see if any links are present in it and then just sets the mod review option if it does. Otherwise it will do nothing else and let the board continue as normal.

Mod sounds really useful. Installed on a test system on the server and other than generating a slew of server errors because of a missing image file for the Admin area, nothing happens when a supposedly restricted member makes a post with a link. The post appears the same as any other post.

Nice try, but no cigar.

Century242, can you please give me the admin errors you are getting and how you are getting it? Because missing images should not course too much of a problem with my hook/application.

Also can you please give me an example of the actually links that are showing up to check to see if there is any problems with my hook that needs to be corrected. For admins and moderators it will appear just like any normal post. But the only different is that it will be pink, and will not be shown to any normal members.

Also can you please check within the ACP, Member groups to make sure that Can avoid moderation queues is set to No. Because if it is set to Yes, then it will bypass my hook and post the links without moderation view.

But if there is any problems, can you let me know so that I can get it working correctly so that no other users in the future get the same type of thing.

Can you please PM with the details, because it will be easier for me to see and hopefully with your help able to fix whatever is wrong. Because as far as I can see on my test board everything is working correctly.

cap
Guest Century242

No it should not effect the force mod preview option. All it does is look to see if the user requires the post to be checked to see if there is links. If it does, then it will check to see if any links are present in it and then just sets the mod review option if it does. Otherwise it will do nothing else and let the board continue as normal.

Century242, can you please give me the admin errors you are getting and how you are getting it? Because missing images should not course too much of a problem with my hook/application.

Also can you please give me an example of the actually links that are showing up to check to see if there is any problems with my hook that needs to be corrected. For admins and moderators it will appear just like any normal post. But the only different is that it will be pink, and will not be shown to any normal members.

Also can you please check within the ACP, Member groups to make sure that Can avoid moderation queues is set to No. Because if it is set to Yes, then it will bypass my hook and post the links without moderation view.

But if there is any problems, can you let me know so that I can get it working correctly so that no other users in the future get the same type of thing.

Can you please PM with the details, because it will be easier for me to see and hopefully with your help able to fix whatever is wrong. Because as far as I can see on my test board everything is working correctly.

cap

Here is a sample of the server error log entries seen... There are over 100 similar entries in the server's error log.

Minor error corrected by adding an image with the name caps_link_moderation.png to the path indicated. The image is not included in the distribution package I downloaded from the Resources area here. It apparently only appears in the Manage Applications & Modules section and is not necessary for the mod to function.

A test post made with an BB Code inserted link (like this) made by a test account in the targeted group set to be monitored by this mod was made. The post was not affected and appears as a normal post, with no moderation required. The post did not show in the moderation queue.

Been through the coding and fixed a couple of bugs that meant it wasn't working correctly in the final version.

Done more testing with all different options and it detects links anywhere within the post now and not just at the very start due to a mistake in preg_match coding.

I still need to sort out the image error, but felt it was best to release a mod that worked.

cap

Guest Century242

Been through the coding and fixed a couple of bugs that meant it wasn't working correctly in the final version.

Done more testing with all different options and it detects links anywhere within the post now and not just at the very start due to a mistake in preg_match coding.

I still need to sort out the image error, but felt it was best to release a mod that worked.

cap

I am happy to report that everything works as advertised now.

Thanks for this contribution to the community. post-129954-125889332597_thumb.gif
Guest Century242

One last thought and question.

This mod works well when there is a link in the body of a post for whatever group(s) has been selected for monitoring. It does not however check if there is a link in the signature of the post's author. For out relatively small system this is not really a problem, but for others who have mega systems, this could be an issue. We are using this to monitor the first couple of posts made by new members to weed out those who register for the sole purpose of FREE advertising. A new member can easily add a link to their signature which could defeat the use of this mod.

I don't know if the capability to also monitor the signature could be incorporated into this mod or if it would require a completely different mod.

One last thought and question.

This mod works well when there is a link in the body of a post for whatever group(s) has been selected for monitoring. It does not however check if there is a link in the signature of the post's author. For out relatively small system this is not really a problem, but for others who have mega systems, this could be an issue. We are using this to monitor the first couple of posts made by new members to weed out those who register for the sole purpose of FREE advertising. A new member can easily add a link to their signature which could defeat the use of this mod.

I don't know if the capability to also monitor the signature could be incorporated into this mod or if it would require a completely different mod.

I have got a few ideas on how to do this. But without looking in to the actually coding for signatures I cannot 100% for sure tell you if I can incorporate it in to the existing hook/application or if I need to write something up separately.

I will keep this post updated once I have looked in to the coding to let you know how it will be done.

Because one of the major problems that there will be, is if a user posts a message without links in post and signature. It will bypass my hook/application, so the user can actually then add links to the signature and it will appear without any moderation.

cap
Guest Century242

I have got a few ideas on how to do this. But without looking in to the actually coding for signatures I cannot 100% for sure tell you if I can incorporate it in to the existing hook/application or if I need to write something up separately.

I will keep this post updated once I have looked in to the coding to let you know how it will be done.

Because one of the major problems that there will be, is if a user posts a message without links in post and signature. It will bypass my hook/application, so the user can actually then add links to the signature and it will appear without any moderation.

cap

Granted, changes to signatures after the fact are something that cannot be controlled, at least with this mod. I think anyone using this mod is only concerned with initial posts made by new members, at least that is my concern and why I think this is a very useful mod.

Thanks again for sharing this with the community

How to remove this MOD

I cant remove it as it give s me DRIVE ERROR

I will PM you a edited version of the uninstall script that hopefully will uninstall the application/hook for you with instructions.

Granted, changes to signatures after the fact are something that cannot be controlled, at least with this mod. I think anyone using this mod is only concerned with initial posts made by new members, at least that is my concern and why I think this is a very useful mod.

Thanks again for sharing this with the community

If it is just checking the signature at the same time as posting, then it can be easily added to this hook/application. It will take me a couple of days to sort out because I will need to sit down and add the coding and include an upgrade procedure to make it work correctly.

cap
Guest Century242

I will PM you a edited version of the uninstall script that hopefully will uninstall the application/hook for you with instructions.

If it is just checking the signature at the same time as posting, then it can be easily added to this hook/application. It will take me a couple of days to sort out because I will need to sit down and add the coding and include an upgrade procedure to make it work correctly.

cap

The initial posts are all that we are concerned about. We have had many new members sign up and immediately post advertisements to services and products that are totally unrelated to the topics and subjects discussed in our forums. These are the people we want to discourage using this mod.

Thanks again;
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived