Executable Install Upload File

NWIcleaning

I just purchased all the applications for IP.Board 3.0.4. This is my first install, and I just uploaded all the files for Board, Blog, Gallery, Downloads, & Content. - Wow, this took a while to upload all directories & files. Plus, I can see where human error can come in and someone can accidentally upload files into the wrong directory. - You have to pay attention to what you are doing! I believe this will also be the case on future upgrades.

My thought is: Why not eliminate the human error factor. Invision should create an executable file that automatically ftp's the files into the proper directories. This little program can ask you for the directory your files are stored on your computer and gather your ftp username & password stuff and quickly and easily upload all the proper files into the proper directories.

This would be great for installing additional applications (ie. blog, etc.) and for any future upgrades!!

Thoughts ???

That sounds complex, to have something running client side that then has to upload things to the server. For a start, there would need to be Windows, Mac and Lnux clients for example.

But I thing there are improvements that could be made in this area. For example, providing the uploads as tarballs with all the folders and files having the correct permisions would be great. That way instead of download (from InVision), unzip, upload, change permissions we could just download (from InVision), upload, unzip.

Another improvement could be that if we do have to unzip on our PCs, there are fewer files to upload, and the installer then decompresses/xml parses them on the server.

Or people could learn that for every download, there is the admin folder. Once you realize you have found the admin folder, extract all the folders/files that are displayed to the web-root of your forum.

It's not rocket science. lol

Actually from the IP.Board download it's everything in the upload folder you need, not just the admin folder. So slightly more 'science' needed. :lol:

It could be simpler. Almost 2300 files in IP.Board to upload is a nuisance, especially (if like me) you have a FileZilla/proftpd interoperability problem at the moment so that the client randomly gets timeouts and disconnects.

[quote name='rct2·com' date='18 October 2009 - 05:31 PM' timestamp='1255843916' post='1868262']
But I thing there are improvements that could be made in this area. For example, providing the uploads as tarballs with all the folders and files having the correct permisions would be great. That way instead of download (from InVision), unzip, upload, change permissions we could just download (from InVision), upload, unzip.

Tarballs? What a pain in the ass for us Windows users. You know there's no utility on Windows to decompress TAR right? And every utility I've seen to deal with it is horrible. No, ZIP is fine.

A friend of mine is making me some server side script which will download latest IPB on the server, extract it and then move and overwrite everything within upload folder to public_html of my site. :) Hope this will work, because using filezilla is giving me some random drop/disc/timeouts... I remember that some .xml file just couldnt be uploaded...

Sure, I didn't want to suggest that a tarball should be the ONLY distribution of the code. (A gzipped tarball would be better ;) )

But it would be nice if there were some extra ways that the code could be provided as a download, for those of us who are not [quote name='Mat (FDNZ)']pain in the ass Windows users

It's not uncommon for suppliers of scripts to provide more than one distribution version, each version being friendly to the target server operating system.

Indeed. :)

As I said before, I don't think the OP's idea will work because there are too many clients to think about for a client executable to be feasible. But a few differnt distributions, that were a bit more server side savvy would be good IMO, and more feasible.

I think they've really got this type of request covered with the free installation of the software. If you aren't comfortable doing it, they will. It is a pity that they'll only upgrade one minor version for you (so they'll install 3.0 and 3.1, but not 3.0 and 3.0.4) but it does make sense. Security fixes are generally very easy to install though, and other revision versions (3.0.3, 3.0.4) generally don't have major sweeping changes that they absolutely have to be installed.

Archived