IP.Chat Service Testing

Charles

Another feature idea:

1. Block users: There are two settings. You can block users from private messaging you during chat (should you implement my idea of creating a private chat between two members) and/or you can block them in the chat so you cannot see any messages they post. In addition to that, any users you have on your ignore users list on the boards carries over in the chat.

2. If you get a PM during the chat in your inbox, a special message shows in the chat notifying you of the message. This notification is only visible by the user.

3. Allow users to view logs of the chat if the admin wants. Starting from the time the chat opens to the time it closes.

4. Speaking of closing times, admins can set opening and closing times for the chat room(s). They can do it in the AJAX admin panel in chat (a previous feature suggestion) or in the ACP. Once chat closes it displays a closing message and automatically kicks everyone from the room. If an admin is in the room at closing time, the admin will get a message asking to close the room or extend the time. Also, admins can close the chat room off preventing any new members from joining in.

5. The user profile should record how many seconds, minutes, hours, days a user has spent in the chat room in total time.

6. There should be an option allowing guests to view the chat and participate or not post, just view. Also, a cool feature would be to allow people to view the chat using an iframe. The chat could be posted using a similar code you would use to embed Google Calendar or Youtube videos.

IPS, if you want to offer a chat room, IMHO, you should create one that has tons of useful and dynamic features. Your other add ons are feature rich and dynamic. IP. Chat should be no different.

Bare in mind what you're looking at is beta of a 1.0 version of a product ;)
Most of your suggestions have been discussed and are definitely on the table - but of course we need to make sure the basic functionality works before we go loading it will tons of goodies :)

[quote name='Mark' date='21 October 2009 - 09:27 AM' timestamp='1256113632' post='1869596']
Bare in mind what you're looking at is beta of a 1.0 version of a product ;)
Most of your suggestions have been discussed and are definitely on the table - but of course we need to make sure the basic functionality works before we go loading it will tons of goodies :)

Oh of course. Those ideas are for when you guys are ready to bring it out of beta.

[quote name='Alex' date='17 October 2009 - 01:03 PM' timestamp='1255781003' post='1867908']
No, it's not comparable to the Shoutbox, the Shoutbox will still be actively developed as they are two different products.

not to mention the shoutbox is free whereas the chat will have limitations and pricings, the shoutbox has no such thing.

[quote name='Charles' date='20 October 2009 - 06:49 PM' timestamp='1256060976' post='1869295']
I originally said the same thing about chat running in new window I must admit :)

I then realized that I could just open a new window myself.

True - but not as good as a window with no header/footer etc. ;)

Could also do with a collapsible Online Chat Users

When we had a chat room before - our biggest request/complaint was that people could not run it in a narrow floating window.

Would happily pay for this in the enhanced version.

Few things.

[*]URLs should automatically link like they do on the forum. If I just paste an http link, it doesn't turn into a clickable link. [*]The swear filter doesn't work. The rude word beginning with S that's another word for "crap" on here is filtered, yet on the chat, it's not. Maybe setting it as a user-selectable option in the Admin CP would be a nice idea, since some sites might want the forum to be clean, but allow some leeway in the chatroom. [*]This might be quite hard to do, but I'd like to see the possibility to make it run off an existing IRC channel in place of...whatever it's running off now. The IRC option might have to bypass some things (eg, no bbcode), but overall I think it would be quite useful, especially for sites run on restrictive shared hosting. Since, after all, anyone can make their own channel on a network like, say, Rizon.
I realise the first two points aren't critical though, since, after all, it is a beta. :P

[quote name='TWF' date='21 October 2009 - 04:58 PM' timestamp='1256140688' post='1869738']
[*]This might be quite hard to do, but I'd like to see the possibility to make it run off an existing IRC channel in place of...whatever it's running off now. The IRC option might have to bypass some things (eg, no bbcode), but overall I think it would be quite useful, especially for sites run on restrictive shared hosting. Since, after all, anyone can make their own channel on a network like, say, Rizon.

It runs off our servers so that won't be an issue :) There's no way anyone could run this on a shared server :P

[quote name='Charles' date='16 October 2009 - 05:31 PM' timestamp='1255728707' post='1867725']
The high volume of transactions needed for a chat room would probably get you banned from most web hosting providers and, even if you have high-end hosting, it requires a specially tuned server to perform well.

I wouldn't say *banned*, just politely asked to upgrade their hosting account :)

I'm suprised the chat isn't in flash. Are you guys using ajax or a comet form of communication? The reason why I ask is because ajax is highly ineficient for a chat service. It requires you to poll constantly with the server to get replies. Multiply that by all the users connected, and you have a bunch of connections opening and closing. The "comet" method, which I'm not entirely sure how to implement, keeps a persistent connection between the browser and the server. It's like downloading a file forever in a stream, but reading the data as it comes in. When you want to send a message, you just use ajax. In this situation there are only two connections made at one time rather than polling ever second or so. Meeboo does this method quite well.

[quote name='Charles' date='16 October 2009 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1255728707' post='1867725']
The pricing of the chat service is yet to be announced and will be based on how many people you have in your chat room at one time. Details of the package levels and pricing will be made available at a later date. The good news is that the first chat package level will be free for active IPB license holders. We hope you enjoy that extra benefit to being a license holder.

I am interested in IP.Chat for the community hosted on my own server. Is this solution only for hosted Communities? Can you tell, what is the timeline for the first release?

[quote name='.Ian' date='21 October 2009 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1256136576' post='1869702']
True - but not as good as a window with no header/footer etc. ;)

Could also do with a collapsible Online Chat Users

When we had a chat room before - our biggest request/complaint was that people could not run it in a narrow floating window.

Would happily pay for this in the enhanced version.

that is just basically the shoutbox then, i think ips want to keep these two things seperate in their true form.

[quote name='Luke' date='22 October 2009 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1256228789' post='1870186']
I'm suprised the chat isn't in flash. Are you guys using ajax or a comet form of communication? The reason why I ask is because ajax is highly ineficient for a chat service. It requires you to poll constantly with the server to get replies. Multiply that by all the users connected, and you have a bunch of connections opening and closing. The "comet" method, which I'm not entirely sure how to implement, keeps a persistent connection between the browser and the server. It's like downloading a file forever in a stream, but reading the data as it comes in. When you want to send a message, you just use ajax. In this situation there are only two connections made at one time rather than polling ever second or so. Meeboo does this method quite well.

i would kinda agree with you there as it does do alot of requests. i'm not too sure about the comet technology or how easy it is to implement but might be worth a look.

Archived