vBulletin Refugees

Morsolo

Ya know, I know all forums are different but I never had good luck with the arcade mod. It just ended up sitting there after the initial hype. At first it would be busy. But as time wore on it usually just sat there and would go days and weeks with no activity. Eventually I would yank it and even then it many times took just as long for most people to realize I yanked it. Some forums may have better luck that that. But mine never did. So I just concentrate on the content to keep people happy and occupied.

[quote name='whitetigergrowl' date='17 October 2009 - 06:48 PM' timestamp='1255798115' post='1867987']
Ya know, I know all forums are different but I never had good luck with the arcade mod. It just ended up sitting there after the initial hype. At first it would be busy. But as time wore on it usually just sat there and would go days and weeks with no activity. Eventually I would yank it and even then it many times took just as long for most people to realize I yanked it. Some forums may have better luck that that. But mine never did. So I just concentrate on the content to keep people happy and occupied.

The arcade mod is very popular on my site. I mentioned that we might be moving software and the first thing everyone asked was about the arcade!

[quote name='Dave Legg' date='17 October 2009 - 10:51 AM' timestamp='1255798272' post='1867990']
The arcade mod is very popular on my site. I mentioned that we might be moving software and the first thing everyone asked was about the arcade!

LOL Nice. Yeah on my site it just never took off. But that's ok. More people were adding content, so it was all good. I always hated when people would be more active in the arcade than on the forums anyways. So when they re-focused back to the forums, it helped the site. It didn't help when they were more active playing games rather than helping keep the forum busy. For awhile it was a ghost town. But like I said, every forum is different. Some it works on, some it doesn't.

As for the mod, I would think they would be working on it. And who knows, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an improvement. Anyways I found a post made in July (yeah, a few months back) from one of the staff on their official forums. It states:

the only coders that are going to have quick major mod conversions done are ones that have been working with IPB v3 whether it was on a community project or actually helping with coding because they are the only ones who have had the access to non-encoded files for IPB v3 and have experience with how the new system works but unlike those lucky few for most of us we are having to not only learn the new site software but how code our mods to work with it, converting our mods over for v3 will be pretty much the same as if we decided to convert em over to VB or SMF that's how big a difference there is between IPB v2.3.x and v3

So it appears it could be a short bit yet. Or who knows, maybe even soon from when this was written in July. Vbulletin 4 will run into many of the same issues when it's released because much of it is a re-write as well. The difference being, that mod makers for VB4 likely won't be able to start work on re-writing their mods until it goes final, as that is (as I understand it) when the public will have access to it. And not prior.

http://www.ibparcade.com/index.php?

You can always ask there too. It may help. ;)

it will be AT LEAST A MONTH AT BEST, we have 3 major mods that have to be pretty much rewritten from scratch because of the major changes in IPB v3 which made it basically a totally new and different piece of software from IPB v2.3.x

hahah i had already purchased by product..I just need the time to start converting one of the site over to this product.But I'm currently playing around with admin control panel its way different...soon enough my other two site will follow...oh well let me submit my vacation request...lol

vb lost one of there long time member...

Let me try my best to clear up certain things that people are still unsure of regarding the following:
* bounced email handling - integrated
* wiki - IP.Content/CCS does the job
* cyb advanced forum rules - IPS has a BoardRules function built in See the Forum Rules here (Alternatively, you can make a page using IP.Content)
* GARS (reviews) - There is a tutorials mod available that i'm sure can be altered to suit reviews.
* Invitation system - Here
* reputation system - Built in
* reputation comments in posts - Mod - This may suit you or This
* reputation moderation - built in
* multiple account detection and handling
* post report system - built in
* vb's infraction system - built in
* member help / support / ticket system - Mod, and there are quite a few available, look aroud, can't find a link :)
* real IP detection (see trough proxies)
* reciprocal links directory - Not sure if this is what you're looking for....
* verify email before registration - Built in
* facebook like chat - Not sure
* full featured chat room - IRC
* canned replies - built in
* vb's thread prefixes - Not sure if this is possible yet, there may be a mod :)
* donation system - Here
* vbexperience - iPoints system

Hope I was able to help clear that up for a few users!

Also IPS naturally has equivilant add-ons to some vB add-ons:
IP.Gallery (vBGallery)
IP.Blog (vBlog)
IP.Downloads (Full featured Download System)
IP.Tracker (equivilent to Project Tools)
IP.Content - Fully functional and powerful CMS/Portal system (better than vBACMPS)

[quote name='Matt' date='20 October 2009 - 10:57 PM' timestamp='1256101074' post='1869567']
Thanks DG! Very helpful. A lot of people from vB instinctively look at modifications without realizing IP.Board can do a lot of what they need already.

Which is why I made my 'helpful' post a few posts back. When I had looked at converting from VB to IPB, many members were concerned. But like you said, many didn't realize that IPB already had much of what they wanted (and more) built-in already and mods were not needed. I promoted the strong points of IPB over VB. At a minimum many of the members became intrigued and decided to go with the change. The nice thing is, it also set my forum at the time apart from the others since they were running VB. Which means mine had something different and unique to bring to the table. This was on a forum that had over 10,000 members. I eventually moved on from that forum but many want me to use IPB when I re-launch my new one soon.

I'm in the process of starting a new one. And the one thing people wanted me to do is use IPB. Which tells me quite a bit. The problem is so many people are accustomed to VB, they don't understand what IPB 3 has to offer. But once they do, most don't seem to want to go back. (Although you will always have your stalwarts.)

[quote name='DarkGizmo' date='21 October 2009 - 04:09 AM' timestamp='1256090990' post='1869499']
* cyb advanced forum rules - IPS has a BoardRules function built in See the Forum Rules here (Alternatively, you can make a page using IP.Content)

That's not the same.
With the advanced forum rules, you can change the rules and all the users must read and confirm then (if the admins want).
If they don't confirm, they will be banned i think
[quote name='DarkGizmo' date='21 October 2009 - 04:09 AM' timestamp='1256090990' post='1869499']
* multiple account detection and handling

Here's the link missing to the mod^^

[quote name='ragtek' date='21 October 2009 - 05:06 PM' timestamp='1256137605' post='1869713']
That's not the same.
With the advanced forum rules, you can change the rules and all the users must read and confirm then (if the admins want).
If they don't confirm, they will be banned i think

Here's the link missing to the mod^^

This kind of mod is actually under development by capbiker. He is doing a great job!
It's still in development stage, but gonna rock when it's out!

Hi,

I want to leave vBulletin also, the problem is that I´am very happy with the software since 2001 and I never thought that I have to switch.
We spent sooo much time in coding own add-ons and bridges to third parts software and no we have a lot of trouble.

My problem (and I guess the problem of a lot of vB customers) is that we have to compare the versions in detail, learn a lot of new stuff and have to modify a lot.
OK, we are not in hurry but I have to spent soo much time :(
I don't have the time and a good mind to do all that. Is there a official service for coding some extras?

I also would like to have a demo access for a long time, a offline version or a online demo version for a own test installation to check if we can recode some own add ons.

The pricing of the vB4 is not my problem. I want to switch because I don't want throw my money to companies with such business practises and with the new versions of vB we also have to modify a lot.

I would like to see some very large community sites with more than 20.000 registered Users and 10.000 active users. Can you post some links?
I also would like to see a large Drupal/IPB community, is a installation out there?

And I have also some additional questions:
Is it possible to use the my-sql search engine with IPBoard?
In a old compare list I found that "unread topics/new posts" are not database tracked. I we change to IPB and we don't have this feature we will become a lot of trouble with the community ;)
Do you have a comparsion-overview of Drupal - IP.CMS? Is it a little bit comparable? Especially in user group handling?
I also have licence for a non-public club community, maybe IP.CMS is good enough for this if we also can give access to some public pages.

[quote name='Hosh' date='22 October 2009 - 08:34 AM' timestamp='1256214866' post='1870111']

I don't have the time and a good mind to do all that. Is there a official service for coding some extras?

You can contact sales if you have a custom services inquiry. Generally speaking, we will refer you to third parties, but it never hurts to send in your inquiry and see what kind of availability there is.

[quote name='Hosh' date='22 October 2009 - 08:34 AM' timestamp='1256214866' post='1870111']
I also would like to have a demo access for a long time, a offline version or a online demo version for a own test installation to check if we can recode some own add ons.

I'm afraid we do not have a downloadable demo at this time. We have a 24-hour hosted demo you can use, which can be extended upon request.

I would like to see some very large community sites with more than 20.000 registered Users and 10.000 active users. Can you post some links?
I also would like to see a large Drupal/IPB community, is a installation out there?

http://boards.nbc.com/nbc/
Our members have made a total of 3,711,983 posts
We have 265,847 registered members
1200 members online at the moment

I am not aware of any specific IPB community using Drupal as a front end. Would need to wait to see if anyone replies with a link.

And I have also some additional questions:
Is it possible to use the my-sql search engine with IPBoard?

Yes, of course. We use MySQL fulltext searching on this board.

In a old compare list I found that "unread topics/new posts" are not database tracked. I we change to IPB and we don't have this feature we will become a lot of trouble with the community ;)

Topic markers are indeed database tracked, and have been since the 2.x days. I'm not sure what compare list you looked at, but it's out of date. :)

Do you have a comparsion-overview of Drupal - IP.CMS? Is it a little bit comparable? Especially in user group handling?

I don't think you can really compare Drupal to IP.Content. IP.Content does not aim to be a full-fledged CMS, and isn't going to work in the same way a true CMS would.

Archived