vBulletin Refugees

Morsolo

I know there will probably be a whole bunch of people wondering over here from vB in the coming days/weeks, so instead of the threads in Pre-Sales that are moderated, I figure I should start this one as just a general discussion of IPS. Please do not use this thread to 'bash' vBS or IPS, this is serious talk only...

I have to say though, in the short time I've spent browsing these wonderful forums, I have to say... WOW! Everything is so simple, beautifully laid out and the effects flow perfectly. I'm awestruck. Seriously.

Alas, my problem is not with the frontend...

I keep coming back here in the vague hope that I might work up the courage to convert. I've spent so long custom coding so many things on my vB website that I don't want to loose my work. I am not a great coder, so my code is messy in the sense that it will probably be difficult to just "convert" it over to IPB.

A question I would like answered though, can anyone give me a list of alternatives of all the popular vB Addons? For example, the Alternative for vBAdvanced would be the IP.Portal, etc.

A suggestion I have for the IPS Team though is to have a sale. Right now there's a lot of vB guys throwing tantrums and if IPS came down even further in price, I'm sure it would push A LOT of people over the edge. (Just a suggestion though, I have no idea what laws/rules/ethics apply).

Anyway, I hope I've got this in the right section; and that it is ok for me to do so.
- Morsolo

• Management

We are happy to keep a topic like this open if it does not turn into a bashing thread. We are out to offer a great community solution here and we appreciate our customers being quite happy with our products but don't want things to turn dark in the process :)

As for alternatives to addons perhaps you can post a list of which ones you are looking for alternatives? I am sure the community can give you pointers.

We are seriously considering a sale either in the license or the conversion services. In the last 24 hours between posts on the forums and in our sales email people are clamoring for something of the sort.

[quote name='.Ian' date='14 October 2009 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1255523361' post='1866394']
I would also like to see such a deal - not only for all those considering moving - but for existing users who still have VB licences.

Even better! Nice idea Ian! But the only problem is, how does IPS gauge who actually has vBulletin?

[quote name='Charles' date='14 October 2009 - 10:33 PM' timestamp='1255523592' post='1866397']As for alternatives to addons perhaps you can post a list of which ones you are looking for alternatives? I am sure the community can give you pointers.

We are seriously considering a sale either in the license or the conversion services. In the last 24 hours between posts on the forums and in our sales email people are clamoring for something of the sort.

Hmmm, there's too many modifications to list, here's a few off the top of my head:
- vBAdvanced (I know I've already said it)
- Cyb - PayPal Donate (i.e. PayPal integration for payments)
- Affiliates Sidebar (i.e. Something with a list of affiliates that scrolls on the left/right side of the forum home)
- vBShout (i.e. A Chatbox)
- TCattd Image Resizer (i.e. A fancy image resizer)
- vBExperience (i.e. A points system. You get 1 point per post and 10 points per thread, it adds up and produces a better gauge of the quality of users rather than just post count, or just reputation)

That's all I can think of right now...

:)

Any ideas how to substitute this:

[*]bounced email handling [*]wiki [*]cyb advanced forum rules [*]GARS (reviews) [*]Invitation system [*]reputation system [*]reputation comments in posts [*]reputation moderation [*]multiple account detection and handling [*]post report system [*]vb's infraction system [*]member help / support / ticket system [*]real IP detection (see trough proxies) [*]reciprocal links directory [*]verify email before registration [*]facebook like chat [*]full featured chat room [*]canned replies [*]vb's thread prefixes [*]donation system [*]vbexperience

[quote name='Morsolo' date='14 October 2009 - 05:56 AM' timestamp='1255525005' post='1866412']
Even better! Nice idea Ian! But the only problem is, how does IPS gauge who actually has vBulletin?

Hmmm, there's too many modifications to list, here's a few off the top of my head:
- Affiliates Sidebar (i.e. Something with a list of affiliates that scrolls on the left/right side of the forum home)
- vBExperience (i.e. A points system. You get 1 point per post and 10 points per thread, it adds up and produces a better gauge of the quality of users rather than just post count, or just reputation)

That's all I can think of right now...

:)

IP.Content
http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=2475 or IP.Subscriptions
http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=2335 is the closest there is at the moment.
IP.Shoutbox
Built-in, can probably be modded
http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=2670

[quote name='Alfa1' date='14 October 2009 - 05:56 AM' timestamp='1255525015' post='1866413']

[*]bounced email handling - Not sure. [*]wiki - IP.Content [*]cyb advanced forum rules - Not sure. [*]GARS (reviews) - I'm pretty sure there's one but I can't find it right now. [*]Invitation system - Not sure. [*]reputation system - Integrated. [*]reputation comments in posts - http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=2308 [*]reputation moderation - Can be done through admin CP. [*]multiple account detection and handling - Not sure. [*]post report system - Integrated. [*]vb's infraction system - Integrated. [*]member help / support / ticket system - Under development. [*]real IP detection (see trough proxies) - Not possible afaik. [*]reciprocal links directory - Mentioned above. [*]verify email before registration - Integrated. [*]facebook like chat - Not possible. [*]full featured chat room - IP.Shoutbox [*]canned replies - Integrated. [*]vb's thread prefixes - Not possible currently. [*]donation system - Mentioned above. [*]vbexperience - Mentioned above.

[quote name='Morsolo' date='14 October 2009 - 01:56 PM' timestamp='1255525005' post='1866412']

Simple - supply a copy of the receipt from IB to get the discount code.

I had to do this to get a discount when buying some software for selling domains/hosting.

• Management

I would also suggest you try out our demo. It's free for 8 hours and we can extend it if you need more time: http://www.invisionpower.com/products/demo.php

Please keep in mind that it's a hosted demo with many demo accounts on a single server. If it's busy, it may appear to be a little slower but that doesn't reflect the speed you can expect on your own server or on our hosting network. Also, file uploads are disabled in PHP so you may get the odd PHP warning when attempting to upload.

That aside, it's a fully loaded IP.Board including Blog, Gallery, Downloads and IP.Content.

Not every feature will be available in IPB and vice-versa. People need to have a balanced picture when choosing forum software.

You need to not only look at the annual cost (always work on permanent membership), but you need to look at phone support (if required), features that your members already use and can't live without, features which are new in the forum software you are looking at (that might compensate them for any lost features). Look at conversion costs, installation costs.

IPB will not be right for everybody - but it will be for many.

Look at the responses of staff - are they reasonable, do they appear pationate about the company they represent? Are fellow members quick to help and recommend? Do you get the truth even if that means 'sorry we are not the best option for you'?

Look at all options and then decide.

Some costs will be zero at IPB and others will cost - some costs maybe higher or lower than your current product - but weigh everything up. And if IPB can offer a refugee discount take this into account.

I am not going to bash any other product here, as I hold licences for UBB, VB, FusionBB & IPB. and would gladly move some of those sites here - so for me it is not just a VB issue, but if I can move more sites towards IPB then great - and I know I am not alone. I recognise several posts in the members section of different forum software.

Worth also mentioning that IPB have a business version - same product but comes with phone support and installation of not only the first install, but also upgrades plus a faster guaranteed response time on tickets. This might be suitable for busy sites, that perhaps require a greater link between you and Invision and are run as a business rather than a hobby.

I have been involved in forums for over a decade, so speak from experience - if I am not happy I say so and would not recommend s product that I was not prepared to sue myself.

Make your decision and if it is right for you and your members go for it.

[quote name='Alfa1' date='14 October 2009 - 01:56 PM' timestamp='1255525015' post='1866413']

I am currently working on a application/hook/module (Not too sure what the end version will look like) but whatever it is with applications/hooks/modules all you would have to do is upload the completed files and install it from the ACP and you will have it installed. To see the full features and how it is going once you have brought a license and become a customer go to this thread.

I will give you a brief outline of what this modification will do in Version 1.0:-

Detect multiple accounts by setting a cookie, if the user logs out and logs back in or try to register for another account Reaper Of Death will detect the cookie if it's not been deleted and will do what ever actions you decided. Depending on what stage it can be auto ban, move to user group, take no action. If the user is registering then it will put the account on to admin validated.

It will also detect multiple people using the same IP (Depending on what strength) and where you want to check. I.E against IP's that as been used to register on the forums for the first time, IP's from all the posts ever made etc. If it's is detected you can set similar actions like cookies.

I have also got a cookie ban system included within the reaper of death, that when a member is banned it gets sets and if the user try to register another account or log in with somebody elses you can decided what action to take that is similar.

There will also be proxy detection included in the reaper of death that trys to detect people using proxies and take whatever action you would like, just like before.

With each option you can also be notified of any detections and what actions is taken through PM's, a message being posted on a forum, or a email.

With Version 2, I am looking to included flash cookies. This is harder to delete, if you do not know that it is being set and also can hold a lot more data with it.

Please do not ask when will this be released, because I am working on it as fast as I can and due to the complexly of the coding required within the ACP and even on the main board to make it so that you do not need to edit any files. So that when the board gets up graded this feature should carry on running without any problems.

Reaper Of Death is only going to be available for 3.0.

cap

[*]multiple account detection and handling

I think the loss of many of the vBulletin plugins is a very valid concern for many communities, but just keep in mind that when vBulletin 4.0 is released you're not guaranteed that those products will be updated for the new version anyway.

If you're going to continue running vB 3.8 then you may want to wait a while before making a new purchase and then weigh vB 4 versus the competition. For me, the vB announcement was a good motivator to get me to look at IPB again and I was impressed enough to purchase the IP suite today.

[quote name='Alfa1' date='14 October 2009 - 05:56 AM' timestamp='1255525015' post='1866413']

[*]bounced email handling [*]wiki [*]cyb advanced forum rules [*]GARS (reviews) [*]Invitation system [*]reputation system [*]reputation comments in posts [*]reputation moderation [*]multiple account detection and handling [*]post report system [*]vb's infraction system [*]member help / support / ticket system [*]real IP detection (see trough proxies) [*]reciprocal links directory [*]verify email before registration [*]facebook like chat [*]full featured chat room [*]canned replies [*]vb's thread prefixes [*]donation system [*]vbexperience

You have too much crap.... most of that is built in from what I can see.... loose the rest lol

[quote name='Morsolo' date='14 October 2009 - 12:56 PM' timestamp='1255525005' post='1866412']

vba = IP.Content not Portal!
donate = a free light system or a full paid system is available
shout - shoutbox here fully supported!
image resize - built in
experience = couple of points systems around, check ou wheich one suits you.

the affilliates sidebar can be maide really easity and hooked or used in IP.Content.

Hope this helps, as you will see from my sig I am a vb convert. You wont be disappointed!

[quote name='Alfa1' date='14 October 2009 - 12:56 PM' timestamp='1255525015' post='1866413']

[*]bounced email handling - not sure [*]wiki - IP.Content or mediawiki plugin available [*]cyb advanced forum rules - built in and another version by member mod [*]GARS (reviews) - IP.Content/Forum software [*]Invitation system - mod available [*]reputation system - built in [*]reputation comments in posts - not seen this [*]reputation moderation - available [*]multiple account detection and handling - mod been requested for port from 2.3 [*]post report system - built in [*]vb's infraction system - built in warning system [*]member help / support / ticket system - IP.tracker (its excellent!) [*]real IP detection (see trough proxies) - requested port from previous version [*]reciprocal links directory - ip.content [*]verify email before registration - built in [*]facebook like chat - yes built in [*]full featured chat room - built in [*]canned replies - not sure what you mean [*]vb's thread prefixes - I have requested this as a feature in next release [*]donation system - free and paid mods available [*]vbexperience - see above

hope this helps

[quote name='Charles' date='14 October 2009 - 05:33 AM' timestamp='1255523592' post='1866397']We are seriously considering a sale either in the license or the conversion services. In the last 24 hours between posts on the forums and in our sales email people are clamoring for something of the sort.

If your Community Suite goes on sale, I'll probably jump off the vb ship. ;)

[quote name='Alfa1' date='15 October 2009 - 08:29 PM' timestamp='1255649358' post='1867208']
With canned replies, I mean standard reply texts, that you can insert into posts, PM, etc.

Regarding wiki; I currently use a native wiki system: i.e. wiki articles in posts. Its an important part of my site.

IPB WIKI can do the job. It´s compatible with 2.3.x, but they are updating it to work with 3.0:
http://www.ipbwiki.com/Ipb_Wiki:Integration_Of_Invision_Power_Board_with_MediaWiki

Thanks for all the replies, you guys truly are quite helpful here :)

So much better than the crap you get (or just being ignored) over at vB.com and vB.org.

I just have to ask one other question. vBulletin states that you are only allowed 1 forum per license; that is fair enough, but it also states that that forum cannot extent beyond that one directory. So, now that vBulletin has it's own CMS, you MUST have the CMS in the forum directory.

I usually have my CMS on the home directory; and my forum in /forums/. This is not allowed under the new license agreement by vBulletin. Is it allowed with IP.Content and IP.Board?

[quote name='Morsolo' date='15 October 2009 - 07:36 PM' timestamp='1255649785' post='1867211']
I just have to ask one other question. vBulletin states that you are only allowed 1 forum per license; that is fair enough, but it also states that that forum cannot extent beyond that one directory. So, now that vBulletin has it's own CMS, you MUST have the CMS in the forum directory.

I usually have my CMS on the home directory; and my forum in /forums/. This is not allowed under the new license agreement by vBulletin. Is it allowed with IP.Content and IP.Board?

Yes, That is allowed. They actually encourage it and use that ability as a selling point.

[quote name='CalendarOfUpdates' date='16 October 2009 - 09:44 AM' timestamp='1255650260' post='1867215']
Yes, That is allowed. They actually encourage it and use that ability as a selling point.

Damn you IPS! You're so enticing...

The problem us vB users have; is vBS is committing us to a "deal" if we purchase before the end of October. We get a huge discount, or be faced with paying $280 later on. And vB 4.0 isn't even in beta yet!!!

I know you guys are discussing having a sale; but I highly suggest you do it soon; otherwise us vB users will have an EXTREMELY hard choice. Having the sale earlier will make it an easy choice in my opinion. And my opinion is hard to make choices with ;)

Archived