Mysql Slave servers

mbhmirc

Not if you just have simple replication enabled... I think what the OP is requesting is the ability to set one mysql server to write to, and one (or more) mysql servers to read from. :)

[quote name='Dan C' date='22 September 2009 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1253651481' post='1860373']
Not if you just have simple replication enabled... I think what the OP is requesting is the ability to set one mysql server to write to, and one (or more) mysql servers to read from. :)

Yes, slightly different. From my memory (which is spotty, so forgive me if I get something wrong) you can approach this in a couple different manners. The two most common are

Master/slave setup - mostly handled at the mysql end. Application just calls to mysql, which then determines which server to pawn the request off to.

Replication - application has to specifically separate select and update/insert/delete/etc queries to ensure that the "parent" is updated properly.

As Charles said, we've experimented with that second approach, but haven't done large-scale tests, and given the nature of such functionality, it's not something we can just roll out without good testing first. :P

Archived