(e32) Custom Sidebar Blocks

(e) Eric

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have installed the 1.0.5 Topic Hover.
When I change the style, get the following error message

Fatal error: Method custom sidebar block does not exist in mt_boardIndexTopicHover in

board admin sources classes output publicOutput.php on line 3997

If I disable the hack topic hover, then the error message is gone.

Hi,

I'm a complete and utter noob when it comes to any kind of mod or template editing. However...

I've been trying CSB on a test installation (3.4.2) and everything was working perfectly as long as I used the default (custom) board theme. As soon as I tried changing to any other theme, I received the following error:

Fatal error: Method customSidebarBlock does not exist in dp33_gsidebars_boardIndexTemplateSkinOverloader

I then remembered that another app I installed required an edit to the the templates Board Index>boardIndexTemplate and Forum View>forumIndexTemplate. So, I decided to copy these modifications over to the other themes, which fixed the problem for me. I'm not familiar with Topic Hover, but perhaps the problem you have is similar?

It's just a thought...

Craig.

PS. Thanks to the author for this great mod :smile:

This is a great addon

I have also installed Topic View Sidebar 1.0.1

in order to have sidebars in the topic view but I cannot figure out how to get the blocks to show up

It seems the Topic View Sidebar is using different name for the blocks?

Anyone have a solution for how to get Topic View Sidebar to load the custom sidebar blocks ?

Topic View Sidebar uses hook ID "scrolltoPost" which enables it to add the sidebar to topic views, I think this is why its not showing the blocks because custom sidebar blocks uses hook ID "side_block"

any help is appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

hello all

i have installed the custom sidebar hook and portal on my ip board forum

have added three portal blocks and everything is ok

when i try and add one block through the custom sidebar blocks hook

i get the block shown correctly and all the other three are shown at the end of the page..either portal or forum page..weird...can someone help?site can be found here

thanks

I'd love to be able to use the php, but I have a problem.

Bit of a PHP amateur - other than using open and closing php tags and echo and print - how do you get php to return HTML? These are the only methods I know to show return HTML to the browser and those options aren't available.

Is it possible to just use IP.Content blocks or is there some additional code you need to use to get it to work? Mikey released a hook that allows this, but it's only good for one block only. It would be great if you could just put many IP.Content blocks.

If this is already done, can somone point me to how to do it. Tried searching, and there are 42 pages... lol

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Eric,

I would like to make it so that a custom sidebar block isn't visible to users in a specific secondary group (Even though their primary group may be in the permissions as being able to view it)

Any chance you could you give me a pointer as to how to do this?

That isn't possible without some sort of code moficication to the source files, plus extra settings, etc.

This is a great addon

I have also installed Topic View Sidebar 1.0.1

in order to have sidebars in the topic view but I cannot figure out how to get the blocks to show up

It seems the Topic View Sidebar is using different name for the blocks?

Anyone have a solution for how to get Topic View Sidebar to load the custom sidebar blocks ?

Topic View Sidebar uses hook ID "scrolltoPost" which enables it to add the sidebar to topic views, I think this is why its not showing the blocks because custom sidebar blocks uses hook ID "side_block"

any help is appreciated

This app only works on the default index sidebar. So it doesn't integrate with 3rd-party things like sidebars on every page or in your case sidebars for topics. You would need some custom work done for that to work probably.

hello all

i have installed the custom sidebar hook and portal on my ip board forum

have added three portal blocks and everything is ok

when i try and add one block through the custom sidebar blocks hook

i get the block shown correctly and all the other three are shown at the end of the page..either portal or forum page..weird...can someone help?site can be found here

thanks

Here are 3 different ways to sort custom blocks, perhaps that will help: http://emoneycodes.com/forums/topic/344-ways-to-sort-custom-sidebar-blocks/?hl=sort

The portal page is different from the main index, and so it is more rigid with block placement.

I'd love to be able to use the php, but I have a problem.

Bit of a PHP amateur - other than using open and closing php tags and echo and print - how do you get php to return HTML? These are the only methods I know to show return HTML to the browser and those options aren't available.

When I say "return" I am being technical and am referring to how a function "returns" a value. I believe you are using "return" in a more colloquial way, as in, you'll send (return) html to the browser.

The way it's setup, it already is in php mode so no opening and closing tags are required (and actually it errors if you do use them).

The way you return the html, is by pretending the box is simply the inside of a function, and so you use the bulk of the function to build some html object and then return it at the end of the function. Echoing or printing a value doesn't return anything, and instead perform "side-effects".

So imagine that my implementation of PHP is that the custom sidebar php box that you fill in is a function called "getHTML()" and Custom Sidebar Blocks calls "echo( getHTML() )". So it wouldn't make sense to echo it twice, once in the call to the function and once in the function itself.

So instead of typing:

echo "Hello World!";

You need to write:

$someHTML = "Hello World!";

return $someHTML;

Let me know if that doesn't make sense. I think I go into more detail on my site if you want to browse the FAQ/tutorials.

Is it possible to just use IP.Content blocks or is there some additional code you need to use to get it to work? Mikey released a hook that allows this, but it's only good for one block only. It would be great if you could just put many IP.Content blocks.

If this is already done, can somone point me to how to do it. Tried searching, and there are 42 pages... lol

I believe you can do that with these steps: http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/documentation/index.html/_/tutorials/content/embedding-blocks-within-other-php-blocks-r300

• 3 weeks later...

This app simply extends the frontpage index (and the portal) and doesn't have the mechanisms to inject itself elsewhere. You would need another third-party app to show sidebars on other pages, then figure out a way to integrate CSB with it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

For some reason when I resize the Twitch custom block it does not resize. Please help.

http://www.iflysimx.com

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="151" width="250" id="live_embed_player_flash" data="http://www.twitch.tv/widgets/live_embed_player.swf?channel=MyUsername" bgcolor="#000000"><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><br />
<br />
<param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.twitch.tv/widgets/live_embed_player.swf" /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<param name="flashvars" value="hostname=www.twitch.tv&channel=iflysimx&auto_play=true&start_volume=25" /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
</object><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<ahref="http://www.twitch.tv/iFlysimX" class="" style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width:250px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px; text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from iFlysimX on www.twitch.tv</a>

hmm, I made a test block on my site and I was able to resize the width of the video.

Its currently set to 150:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="151" width="150" id="live_embed_player_flash" data="http://www.twitch.tv...nnel=MyUsername" bgcolor="#000000"><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
    <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><br />
<br />
    <param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.twitch.tv...mbed_player.swf" /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
    <param name="flashvars" value="hostname=www.twitch.tv&channel=iflysimx&auto_play=true&start_volume=25" /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
</object><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<ahref="http://www.twitch.tv/iFlysimX"  class="" style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width:250px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px; text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from iFlysimX on www.twitch.tv</a>

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using it, it works fine as far as I can tell. I did notice that the option to place the Custom Blocks below the exisiting default blocks doesn't seem to work. Whether I set it to "yes" or "no", it still shows up on top. I'm using 3.4.5.

Update: Ok, I saw Eric's post on how to sort them, so it's fine with that too. I can move it wherever pretty easily.