(e32) Custom Sidebar Blocks

(e) Eric

not on default, I missed that initially.

that is messed up.

that sucks cause its a really nice enhancement.

short of another hook interfering I am out of ideas.

as far as I know browser or o/s used to export/import would not matter.

cannot think of any reason it would as the xml file isn't being opened and saved.

if you want access to a test board where it does work to try stuff I could help there, just hate to see it not working for you since it is so useful.

Well, I have a test board set up on my website that I use for testing out advanced edits, installs and mods (registration disabled, of course). But, I ended up just modifying the boardindextemplate on my forum skins to manually place the custom blocks:

<!-- SIDEBAR BLOCK MANUAL BEGIN -->
<div class='ipsSideBlock clearfix'>
<h3>TITLE</h3>
<div class='_sbcollapsable'>
MESSAGGIO HTML MESSAGGIO HTML MESSAGGIO HTML
</div>
</div>
<!-- SIDEBAR BLOCK MANUAL END -->

I realize that there's going to be difficulties in installing some hooks and applications but after spending several hours today tryign to figure out the CSB, I'm not messing around with it any further. Until IPS adds functionality to create custom blocks in IPB, much as how it works in IP.Content, I'm just sticking with the manual edit option. It's tedious to do it this way. Here's hoping that IPS corrects this oversight.

Dmacleo, thanks for trying to help.

After messing around with it on a test board I had set up, I went back and had to uninstall the program, delete every file that CSB blocks had uploaded and installed on my site, go through the admin panel and recache everything, reupload the application and reinstalled it. It was not my idea of fun ... after it reinstalled, after all of that, it's finally working right ... pain in my arse is more like it. tongue.png

I don't know. The way I work it, and I rarely have a problem with this method, is that I will extract the files on my harddrive and simply just upload the original file structure that's contained in the upload directory and then just unzip it. See, I use cpanel and I've been using this method for quite some time. I just don't know why I would have had to delete all of the original files that pertained to this particular application installation and then go into my board's admin panel, recache everything, and then go through the re-upload process all over again. Unless the previous installation "saved" the last install in the cache.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand it all but it seems to have been a fluke of the IPB software ... I think the last time I had a problem was when I upgraded from IPB 2.3.6 to IPB 3.0.0. I had problems trying to install the Shoutbox and ran into installation problems with it. It wasn't until IPB 3.1 came around that the problem fixed itself ...

use cpanel and I've been using this method for quite some time

using that method for file extraction causes this stuff.

extract, upload using filezilla and choose overwrite.

cpanel extractor does not overwrite always.

not to mention the file manager can (this REALLY screwed me restoring a backup) change hook ownerships to apache.

Hm. I wondered why IPS uses that method for upgrading my software. But, the thing with CSB was that I removed the files the first time by deleting the directory they were uploaded to. Thing is, that I never recached the forum software and this most recent time I did and now it works ... it was just odd that I had to recache the software before it allowed me to use the exported hooks in hook management.

Ah well, it's a moot now but it does seem like a slight hiccup.

• 2 weeks later...

Upgraded from a very old version, I have run HTML code in it for a while now, that is HTML code for youtube and twitter feeds, but I have an advertisement that works for a few page loads then the HTML seems to stop functioning. If I re-edit it in the ACP and refresh the page, it works again for a few more reloads and then bam, it ceases working. Any idea on what could be going on?

I caught an odd one

item is not showing in acp-other apps .

I have verified it installed fine and had no errors.

I tried using older version then upgrading (to force upgrader to run) and that fails too.

I tried ftp using both auto and binary and made sure all files were uploaded too.

still confused on this one.

going to compare php settings between working server and this server

edit: was a permission issue set by another admin, we figured it out and got it running :)

Hello I have a problem using this Custom Sidebar Blocks v2.0.1. I did everything as it is stated in html help file in the download folder. However my sideblock dont show up. I wonder if, Custom Sidebar Blocks v2.0.1 is not my IPB version. I used IPB v3.3.4. Please clarify me what can be wrong ?

Thanks in advance,

Hi,

Has anyone successfully created the following.

Hi IPB,

I was hoping somebody with the right knowledge could create a "Recent Likes" hook.

The hook would display the member who gave the like and also the topic the like was given in.

I appreciate your help. :smile:

Thanks

TheWelshOne

If not can it be achieved using Custom Sidebar Blocks?

Thanks

The Welh One

This seems to have stopped working on Chrome. I am hooking in youtube videos. Anyone else seen this? It literally just stopped working by hanging my forums while it tried to pull in the videos. Just started today.

<div style="text-align:center;"><iframe width="260" height="220" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YKlUDB1RwTM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe></div>

This is the code.

Hmmm...not it is back. Must have been a hiccup.

Edited by jucs

I was able to eventually get this to work but it involved me completely removing the application, recaching and repairing the application and then reuploading and re-installing it. When 3.4 gets released, is it going to be adaptable to the new version of IPB or is this being updated for 3.4?