(e32) Custom Sidebar Blocks

(e) Eric

I missed the export function, darn sorry to have spewed incorrect info.

I'll practice with it LIF.

No need to say sorry, I actually REALLY appreciate that you answer questions in this thread. Sometimes I think its quite strange that thousands of users have downloaded an app and yet I'm the only one who ever answers common questions, so again, I appreciate it. :)

I know this has been mentioned a couple of times before in this long thread, but the setting for "Remove Ability for User to Collapse Block?" to prevent the box from being collapsible doesn't work for me either (on 3.3.4). I've tried recaching and all that, tried it on the default IPB skin where it doesn't work either, nothing makes any difference and I can still collapse the box.

Any ideas what might be causing this please?

There is a problem with the management of this feature. I've been trying to figure out how to manage each block separately, and you cannot do that in 3.3.4. I've tried several times.

Now, I went through and exported each block separately and then imported each exported block into the hooks management area and when I attempt to move the individual blocks around so that their placement is elsewhere in the forum sidebar, it simply does not work. How about updating this for use with 3.3.4? Because the imported blocks are ignored by the ACP hooks feature.

For some reason, it doesn't work on mine. It won't display the exported hooks when I move them separately in hook management. Fact is, while it may work for soome people, it doesn't work for others.

After exporting the hooks separately, I've imported them into hook management. It doesn't matter what option I use, it simply doesn't work. I've tried the following methods:

• disabling the sidebar hooks within the Custom Sidebar Block
  • disabling the Custom Sidebar Block Application
  • disabling the Custom Sidebar hook for the Custom Sidebar Block Application

The individual hook imports simply do not work. Either you've tweaked the code to get it to work or a fix is needed to get it to work. I've been trying to find a way to create individual custom sidebar blocks, similar to the way that IP.Content works and there simply is no way. I find it hard to imagine why you can create separate sidebar blocks in IP.Content but that, that very same feature has been left out of the IPB forum software.

I haven't altered anything in the code that runs the Application. But, as I said above, it doesn't matter what option I choose, IP.Board refuses to acknowledge the individual blocks.

After exporting the individual blocks from CSB, I then imported those blocks into the hooks management section. The exported blocks simply aren't being acknowledged by the IP.Board system. In layman's terms, it don't work. I'm thinking of just disabling the Custom Sidebar Block App because I don't like the way that it groups all of the custom blocks next to each other when I need something that will allow me to move each custom sidebar block where I want it to, similar to how IP.Content allows you to place each custom block wherever you want it to within the sidebar menu.

I tried that too, it simply doesn't work ... sorry to sound exasperated about this but the application just doesn't work as well as I had hoped. My only recourse is to manually create a block within the actual skin files in IPB because it's just working as I need it to. What's frustrating is that there in no built-in system in IPB to allow the creation of custom sidebar blocks, much like IP.Content allows you to do.

sorry to sound exasperated

no worries on my end :)

sounds like an underlying issue really, it works very well for me on 8 or so skins.

iirc there used to be a skin bug (maybe the key ??) that caused lot of blocks to not show (like they were collapsed/not there) but that was 3.2.x not 3.3.

if you could find any of the IP blocks not moving or showing correctly could then open a ticket,

IPS doesn't provide support for third party addons. They wouldn't be able to provide help for this issue, as they have continued to remind clients of this fact. I even tried uninstalling the application, deleting the original uploaded files and then reupload and reinstall. It simply isn't working. It will display the first custom block (that I imported into hook management) but if I try to import additional hooks from CSB, they simply just do not work. I've given up on trying to figure this out. I'm just going to create the block code and edit it directly into the boardindextemplate skin files.

Apparently, it doesn't work for everyone and it won't work for any of the forum skins I have installed.

First and foremost, it would work with the default skin, but it doesn't. I have a few paid premium skins that I purchased for my members that this wont work on (Custom) and (Fangorn Anime) skin not to mention some free forum skins from the marketplace. All I'm saying is that this doesn't work for *any* forum skin that I'm using. I've simply placed this on my "not recommended" list. IPB should have a built in feature, like it does with IP.Content, where you can create custom sidebar blocks, maybe even having that as a feature in the hooks management section.