I am sorry to say that IPS has made RSS Imports unusable for me.

BuddyKidd

Even when the RSS Import is set to not increment the posters number of posts it does so on the daily stats. This makes the member ID the RSS feed is set to look like the largest poster of the day if you are using several news feeds. In Version 2 this did not happen. I even set the forum where they feeds show up to not increase the number of posts. Same results.

I thought it was a bug and reported it and was told that the code is working as designed. So apparently the code is designed to ignore the do not increase the posters numbers settings. It would be nice if IPS either did away with the settings which do not work or changed the code so that they do work.

• Management

Actually the devs are just pointing out that it is indeed working as intended. The setting says "increment post number" which is working properly in that the RSS user post count does not get increased for RSS feeds.

You are referring to a totally different thing. The daily stats look at all users and show which user has made the most posts in the last 24 hours - it has nothing to do with an individual user's post count. It may be your RSS user. Of course you might not want this to happen but that has nothing to do with incrementing their post count.

Why did the developers change it? For what purpose? It did not do that in version 2.

I should add that I was told to change the code myself or make a hook to change it. I have the ablility to insert and delete code when told where to do it but I have no idea what to change or how to make a hook to change it. If it is so easy to change then why make it function that way?

[quote name='Charles' date='10 September 2009 - 02:39 PM' timestamp='1252611599' post='1854857']
Hiding members from the member list hides them from the members list as it says it should.

It does not hide them from today's top posters since that's not the members list :)

Yes, but it does hide them from "Overall top posters", which just because it happens to use members list means they are hidden. Seems strange to see a top poster for the day, but not see them for overall list. This is a side effect of wanting to reuse member's list sort for one and not the other.

[quote name='clearvision' date='10 September 2009 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1252613762' post='1854870']
Yes, but it does hide them from "Overall top posters", which just because it happens to use members list means they are hidden. Seems strange to see a top poster for the day, but not see them for overall list. This is a side effect of wanting to reuse member's list sort for one and not the other.

Overall top posters is a particular filter on the actual member list [in this case, post count, descending]. Today's top posters is not and cannot be made as such a filter; the information involved is generated on the fly based on actual posts made in the past day.

Could they make it follow the "hide from member list" setting? Probably, yeah. But the current behavior is technically correct.

[quote name='No1 1000' date='10 September 2009 - 03:24 PM' timestamp='1252614269' post='1854875']
Overall top posters is a particular filter on the actual member list [in this case, post count, descending]. Today's top posters is not and cannot be made as such a filter; the information involved is generated on the fly based on actual posts made in the past day.

Could they make it follow the "hide from member list" setting? Probably, yeah. But the current behavior is technically correct.

I understand the coding and why the two are acting differently. But a user does not care whether it is a filter or not. The lists work differently because of the way they are coded, not because of intent. Certainly if you were to just generate two lists of top of day and top of all time you would not exclude a member from one and not the other.

It is not a big deal for me, just noticed a result that should work the same either way for a user when trying to help the first poster solve his issue.

If I had 3 different RSS feeds, with different names running to my board I would not want them hogging the top poster list everyday either.

[quote name='BuddyKidd' date='10 September 2009 - 04:24 PM' timestamp='1252596258' post='1854777']
Even when the RSS Import is set to not increment the posters number of posts it does so on the daily stats. This makes the member ID the RSS feed is set to look like the largest poster of the day if you are using several news feeds. In Version 2 this did not happen. I even set the forum where they feeds show up to not increase the number of posts. Same results.

[quote name='Charles' date='10 September 2009 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1252596445' post='1854778']
The setting says "increment post number" which is working properly in that the RSS user post count does not get increased for RSS feeds.

Those 2 post extracts seem to directly contradict one another? :unsure:

[quote name='BuddyKidd' date='10 September 2009 - 03:05 PM' timestamp='1252613134' post='1854866']
Why did the developers change it? For what purpose? It did not do that in version 2.

I should add that I was told to change the code myself or make a hook to change it. I have the ablility to insert and delete code when told where to do it but I have no idea what to change or how to make a hook to change it. If it is so easy to change then why make it function that way?

?????

IPB 2.3 filtered out forums that do not increment post counts, while 3.0 does not. Otherwise the code is almost identical.

This change was made mostly simply for resource reasons - it's generally more efficient to join an extra table on (as we do now) than to generate a large list of forums to put into a MySQL IN() clause.

Well then I guess you guys are not going to fix it or tell me how to do it so I will cut my RSS news feeds down to one. That severely limits a board which is about current events and wants to use RSS news feeds for that purpose but it is your decision to enforce limitations on boards similar to mine. So be it.

For the first time in the several years I have used IPB you now have a unhappy customer in me.

[quote name='BuddyKidd' date='11 September 2009 - 01:00 PM' timestamp='1252688417' post='1855168']
For the first time in the several years I have used IPB you now have a unhappy customer in me.

I would think you could get someone to mod your board to revert this behavior back to the IPB 2 implementation. Apparently, all that is needed is to exclude some forums when computing that information. I haven't looked at it, but it might be just some extra bits in a where clause somewhere.

[quote name='bfarber' date='12 September 2009 - 03:26 AM' timestamp='1252679189' post='1855107']
IPB 2.3 filtered out forums that do not increment post counts, while 3.0 does not. Otherwise the code is almost identical.

This change was made mostly simply for resource reasons - it's generally more efficient to join an extra table on (as we do now) than to generate a large list of forums to put into a MySQL IN() clause.

Couldn't you flip it around and do a short list of forums to put in a MySQL NOT IN() clause?

Archived