[suggestion] Add reputation as criteria for group promotion

Andy Millne

I see one problem with that: the user that "wants" to " "move up" " could just get his friends to create accounts and give him rep. Just as with days/posts - just wait x amount of days (either with or without activity) and & or post spam messages that don't really add to a topic and you'd "move up". Lest I'd see that.

[quote name='lotrdbzfan@gmail.com' date='28 August 2009 - 02:30 AM' timestamp='1251423009' post='1849637']
I see one problem with that: the user that "wants" to " "move up" " could just get his friends to create accounts and give him rep. Just as with days/posts - just wait x amount of days (either with or without activity) and & or post spam messages that don't really add to a topic and you'd "move up". Lest I'd see that.

Not a problem for me. If they have enough friends that are willing to spend time repping them to get them promoted then thats fine the system works. If people don't appreciate them or what they have to say then they won't do that for them.Kind of like a cooperative invite. What you are arguing is the reputation system is fundamentally flawed and open to abuse, in that case why even have it in the first place? Personally I think it does work if set to positive only and if so then why not use the results of it to perform actions such as this?

[quote name='riven3d' date='28 August 2009 - 02:33 AM' timestamp='1251423226' post='1849639']
the vice versa would have to be an option also, if a member gets that rep level to be promoted, they should have to maintain that level to stay there.

I love the new rep feature, but not sure if it should be an group promotion feature

Yes and no. I wouldn't use it personally. In principle I agree but there would have to be some sort of max min range for when people are flirting with the threshold. if they flit back and forth over a couple of rep points it could be frustrating for the end user. So a promote at say 25 and demote at 15 would be a better way of doing it. That way they would have to deteriorate significantly to be demoted. If that were the case then yes I would use it.

[quote name='lotrdbzfan@gmail.com' date='28 August 2009 - 02:30 AM' timestamp='1251423009' post='1849637']

Or they could just make more accounts to rep themselves.

[quote name='Kotonoha' date='27 August 2009 - 09:19 PM' timestamp='1251425959' post='1849645']
Or they could just make more accounts to rep themselves.

^Exactly, similar to the friends things: Just ask friends to register to rep them (but not post). "Easy" promotion.

[quote name='lotrdbzfan@gmail.com' date='28 August 2009 - 03:24 AM' timestamp='1251426268' post='1849646']
^Exactly, similar to the friends things: Just ask friends to register to rep them (but not post). "Easy" promotion.

Yes but again this is an argument against the complete rep system not promotion based on reputation. How many people's friends are going to register to a random board just to get a friend a minor promotion.

The point is, if the reputation system is any use at all, then it should be used for purposes such as this. Otherwise its entire existence is totally pointless. If the reputation system works succesfully, as it does on my board, then we should be able to utilise it fully.And would remove the temptation to reply to every post with inane smilies and comments that add nothing to discussion.

I think it's a great idea. To me, it's not so much using it and making it work, as having the option. It sounds like an excellent option to have, and I agree with you, there should definitely be some systems in place to promote members a different way. The only other real way that I can think of to promote users besides post count is manual promoting. Obviously manual promotion is flawless, but time consuming and tedious. You don't want to sit there and handpick everybody.

Obviously none of you are grasping the concept that it's an optional feature to beging with. We would simple like it to be a built-in feature that will allow those specific IP.Board license holders to utilize such a feature if their own forums are capable of such a thing. There are always the Administrators to watch users who get too high too fast, etc.

[quote name='Dark Slipstream' date='28 August 2009 - 06:18 AM' timestamp='1251436732' post='1849671']
There are always the Administrators to watch users who get too high too fast, etc.

On that note it would also be nice if the member list could be sorted by reputation too ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived