3.0.3 - Please make IPB 3 more lighter and faster

awaisuk

3.0.3 - Please make IPB 3 more lighter and faster

Please make IPB 3 more lighter and faster so it runs fast on shared webhosting aswell.

Right now for a busy forum IPB3 needs dedicated server, where as 2.3.6 could run fine without any problem.

3.0.2 solved some of the speed issues, but please make it more faster.

Thanks.

why not upgrade to a VPS?

Expecting to run any forum software on shared hosting once it hits over 20 users online at a time is really pushing it. Especially these days the way hosting companies oversell and the features that most modern forum solutions offer.

Software development shouldn't be retarded due to limitations of a host.

Compared to 2.3.6 on my dedicated server, the speed increased tremendously. We get 50+ active users a day, massive amounts of monthly bandwidth usage, several skins, huge topics, etc.

I run my website on a dedicated server as well, 2GB ram. Works perfectly fine.

There's no magic "make faster" button, or "make faster" line of code we can add. If you are having specific issues it might be best to submit a ticket so we can take a look at your site. Perhaps you are missing an index on a database table. Perhaps there's a slow query that we've not seen to date that is running on your site. Perhaps you have customizations that cause this (for instance, I've seen the unreal portal cause massive slowdowns because it does a group by against topics/posts table on the homepage....bad idea).

I mean, "make it faster" is a noble goal, and of course we work to improve performance with every release, but it's not black and white, and if there was something magical that could be done to instantly boost speed we certainly would.

Considering how feature rich IPB 3.0 is I'd say it performs very well, its very configurable so if you want to run it without many resources its just a matter of finding the right balance of features.
If it doesn't run well on shared hosting I'd put that down more to the host overselling than to the performance of IPB.

Archived