RSS feeds for restricted content

KT Walrus

I can't seem to figure out how to set up an RSS feed that is specific to the member. On my board, the members are restricted to viewing different content (some members can view some content while others might be restricted but could view other content.

So, my suggestion is to implement an authenticated RSS feed that is restricted to topic posts that the member has permission to view.

I'm not sure if there is a standard way to implement this, but I could see the RSS feed having a key that is specific to the member and that IPB remembers the last IP Address that the member used to access the board. Then, the RSS feed could check that the IP Address of the RSS feed match the last logged in IP Address for the member and serve up only the topic posts that are visible to that member for the feed. If the IP Address match fails, then a message with a link back to the board could be shown instead so that they can reset their IP Address so the feed works again.

Anyway, however this is implemented, I would like to see it since my board is restricted for guests and I really don't want to be responsible for some members only information escaping through a wide-open RSS feed.

Archived