Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Danny Michel

IPB 3.0.2 vs VBulletin with VBSEO Installed

Guest lancerocke

Im hearing great things about IPB and i want to switch from VBulletin but i feel VBSEO has been good for my forums.
Is there some kind of VBSEO equivalent for IPB? and if so, is it as good? if so, why/how

You'll never get the exact replica of your URL's from vBSEO to any IPB product without countless hours of testing, and help. However there are a few SEO modules for IPB, and so far from what I've seen most IPB templates are more SEO friendly to begin with.

You're best bet is to make the switch, and setup a 301 redirect from the old URL format into the new format, and all you'll have is a short term hit. (I also made the switch from vB+vBSEO to IPB, and I dont regret it for one second)

communityseo serves a good purpose..they are even having a discount running right now..check it out.

vBSEO appears to be very similar to the built-in SEO in IPB, so as far as functionality, there shouldn't be any problems. It's probably possible to set up a script to redirect search engines to the new URLs (it definitely is with the old URL format but I'm not 100% sure with vBSEO), but I'll wait for Mark to post and clarify that.

We have a script available to ensure that your old topic IDs map correctly to the new ones so you won't lose traffic from inbound links. This could be adjusted to account for VBSEO's link structure, I'm sure.

For supporting your old friendly URLs: The only thing I would be concerned about is conflicting URLs, but, I suppose vBSEO is ultimately done with htaccess redirects? If so, you could just keep the htaccess from vBSEO and use our linker scripts to redirect people to the new URLs.

For a similar modification for IPB, there's one called Community SEO, but you may find the built-in SEO features mean you don't actually need one :)

vBSEO is really good, especially as it does a lot more than just simple SEO. Frankly, I find it far better than IPB's stock SEO methods, but that's to be expected, as vBSEO is a rather expensive add-on to vB. I'm sure with IPB 3, though, a similar add-on product could be developed for IPB.