Something is not working properly here

pisaldi

[quote name='pisaldi' date='06 August 2009 - 05:16 PM' timestamp='1249593418' post='1839522']
It is not the first time that I see a message with some replies but with 0 views, and that's ilogical !!!

To expand on what Chuck said (don't hurt me Charles hehe)..

There is an option to have the views updated periodically instead of instantly. It's primarily for very busy boards and helps to increase efficiency by just making a quick save of the topic number (nothing else, just the topic number) to a table. When it's all updated, the topics are counted up and that total is added to the view counter for that topic. So it's nothing wrong and in fact can help the performance, speed and reliability of a board.

:thumbsup:

[quote name='savoybc' date='10 August 2009 - 09:57 PM' timestamp='1249955868' post='1841647']
Or just have it update when someone posts a reply to a thread :)
[/quote]

That is the default option in IPB, however it causes increased locking to the topics table, a table that is hit on almost every page load already. Updating views on a delayed basis relieves a lot of SQL "pressure".

[quote name='bfarber' date='11 August 2009 - 08:43 AM' timestamp='1249994613' post='1841774']
That is the default option in IPB, however it causes increased locking to the topics table, a table that is hit on almost every page load already. Updating views on a delayed basis relieves a lot of SQL "pressure".
[/quote]
Could the option be expanded into "Delayed based on schedule" / "Delayed based on schedule or reply is made" / "Instantly"?

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='11 August 2009 - 08:51 AM' timestamp='1249995114' post='1841779']
Could the option be expanded into "Delayed based on schedule" / "Delayed based on schedule or reply is made" / "Instantly"?
[/quote]

Why does every setting have to have 87 other settings to control that first setting in your mind? :P

[quote name='bfarber' date='11 August 2009 - 11:09 AM' timestamp='1250003375' post='1841897']
Why does every setting have to have 87 other settings to control that first setting in your mind? :P
[/quote]
I'm just tossing out an alternative.

Small boards (like mine), instantly.
Medium boards, periodically or when a reply is made.
Large boards, periodically.

Would certainly get some people to stop fussing about how the view count isn't updating right before their eyes. :D

Brandon - What Wolfie is suggesting is perfectly logical. If you update the number of views at the same time as you update the number of replies (which you have to do anyway), the amount of writes to the topics table is not increased. It's also not an extra setting, merely another option on an existing setting. :unsure:

[b]Edit:[/b] Alternatively, you could just use innodb and have done with it. ;)

[quote name='IPBSetup' date='12 August 2009 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1250100565' post='1842736']
But its more settings to screw with. I made the switch from vBulletin in part because of the ease of use of IPB. When you start adding 3 more options for each setting you'll end up with bloated software, unmanageable code, and a lot of other useless trash (See vBulletin for reference)
[/quote]

That's all well and good, but this would actually be a *useful* setting, especially when compared to a lot of the older ones. ;)

[quote name='IPBSetup' date='12 August 2009 - 02:09 PM' timestamp='1250100565' post='1842736']
But its more settings to screw with. I made the switch from vBulletin in part because of the ease of use of IPB. When you start adding 3 more options for each setting you'll end up with bloated software, unmanageable code, and a lot of other useless trash (See vBulletin for reference)
[/quote]
It'd be only one more option to an already existing setting. Of course, the existing setting could be changed to update views upon updating the number of replies which would just take care of the problem as it is. :P

Archived