Ctrl+Enter should submit post

Jim_K

Is that a common shortcut? Is it used anywhere else?

It would save a lot of scrolling, yes, but if it isn't actually going to occur to someone who doesn't [1] find out about it from here or [2] discover it by accident [which would be a bad thing], I don't think there's much benefit.

From a quick google, as far as I can tell nothing uses this specific shortcut and action beside Outlook, and it's not very well known at that.

CTRL+S is the common shortcut for submitting content, so I think we'll stick with that.

@Sherri, no, it's not configurable exactly.

I dunno about that - Ctrl+Enter is far more common for a submission type event (mIRC, Trillian, Outlook, and so forth) while Ctrl+S is used for saving content, rather than submitting it.

I dunno about that - Ctrl+Enter is far more common for a submission type event (mIRC, Trillian, Outlook, and so forth) while Ctrl+S is used for saving content, rather than submitting it.

Trillian defaults to Ctrl+Enter being to add a new line without sending the current message.

mIRC allows you to do the same thing, where you can type multiple lines before sending them.

Well, in most web forums that have the shortcuts setup, I've found CTRL + S submits (akin to "saving content" as you mentioned).

Admittedly, I don't use too many shortcuts in my editor. ;)

Also, I don't use mIRC or Outlook, but in Trillian if I hit ctrl + enter it goes to a newline, it doesn't send the message. I just tested it. To Brandon D. He thinks I'm crazy now.

• 4 years later...

I would like to revive this, as both Gmail and Outlook use ctrl+enter to send, and it seems like it's starting to become sort of a standard akin to shift+enter for new line.

That, plus the fact that CTRL+S is mostly used for saving content, leads me to this being a good idea.

(For instance, ctrl+s in chrome saves the page, and does not submit the post.)

Would be nice if IPB could be part of this standardization.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived