Scrolling down just to see/press the "Post New Topic"/"Add Reply" button

Jim_K

One gripe that I have with the IPB software is that I have to do so much scrolling up and down just to post a topic/reply after editing the content.

There's so much wasted space above the message body. Could it go there?

post-121253-124804189382_thumb.png

[quote name='JaProMa' date='19 July 2009 - 04:23 PM' timestamp='1248045811' post='1829182']
It would be nice to have an option for this.
On one hand, I like options. But, for some things (like good software usability) there's a right way and a wrong way. Of course, I think I'm right, in this case :blush: What's your use case for wanting to have to scroll all the way down each time you post?

1. Default (Where it is now)
  2. Secondary (Your suggestion)
  3. Both

Moving the post button out of the work flow is counter intuitive. When filling out any form, electronic or not, it's natural to work from the top down. In this case, after you write your post content you would look down for the submit button. I wouldn't mind seeing the attachment system hidden like the post options, which would clear up a bit of space between the editor and the post button.

If a post button was added above the editor (which I'm not against), then the one below would need to remain, and it would have to be added in such a way that it doesn't clutter up the post screen.

[quote name='Brandon D' date='19 July 2009 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1248047615' post='1829191']
Moving the post button out of the work flow is counter intuitive. When filling out any form, electronic or not, it's natural to work from the top down. In this case, after you write your post content you would look down for the submit button. I wouldn't mind seeing the attachment system hidden like the post options, which would clear up a bit of space between the editor and the post button.

If a post button was added above the editor (which I'm not against), then the one below would need to remain, and it would have to be added in such a way that it doesn't clutter up the post screen.

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the response. I think you're right that the submit button should be at the bottom as well as the top. GMail's email composer does this:

post-121253-124804941346_thumb.png

Here's the main issue that I have: polls and other options are only useful to me about 1% of the time -- attachments are useful about 50% of the time. However, because I always have to scroll way down every time I post, it means that these features get in my way 100% of the time.

These less-than-always used features should be made as small and unobtrusive as possible, IMO.

Let's continue with the GMail analogy. How about putting "Add a poll" in a location similar to GMails "Add event invitation" button? How about doing the same for attachments?

Also, another thing that bugs me about IPB is that the "Insert Image" toolbar button only allows image URLs -- it should also give you the option to specify a local file path. Right now, inserting a (local file) image into a post (inline with the text) is too hard -- I have to upload it as an attachment and then choose to insert into the post.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant. I really like the improvements in IPB 3.0, and I'd love to see it totally dialed in.

What about leaving everything the way it is except having the post/preview buttons being directly under the post box with the additional options under the buttons (like uploading a file for example)? Then you're not scrolling down but a teeny bit, if at all.

Oh also, if you're in the post box and press the tab key, it lands on the button to submit the post. :)

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='19 July 2009 - 08:27 PM' timestamp='1248060453' post='1829258']
What about leaving everything the way it is except having the post/preview buttons being directly under the post box with the additional options under the buttons (like uploading a file for example)? Then you're not scrolling down but a teeny bit, if at all.

When I was editing that skin file, I was about to do that, and then I had a really really good reason not to. That reason has now left me.

For the sake of it, I am going to edit my skin templates again and do that. :thumbsup:

[quote name='Collin1000' date='19 July 2009 - 08:21 PM' timestamp='1248060103' post='1829255']
I agree with your polls issue, It bothered me so much on my personal forums that I manually edited the skin to move it down.

That thought crossed my mind, too.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='19 July 2009 - 08:27 PM' timestamp='1248060453' post='1829258']
Oh also, if you're in the post box and press the tab key, it lands on the button to submit the post. :)

That would be nice. I'd also like it if Ctrl+Enter would submit the post.

[quote name='Collin1000' date='19 July 2009 - 08:31 PM' timestamp='1248060705' post='1829260']
When I was editing that skin file, I was about to do that, and then I had a really really good reason not to. That reason has now left me.

For the sake of it, I am going to edit my skin templates again and do that. :thumbsup:

If you end up getting this working, would you mind posting your mods for me (and others) to take a look? I'd like to do the same for my site, but I'm probably not as handy with HTML/PHP/Templating as you all :)

Cheers,

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='19 July 2009 - 08:47 PM' timestamp='1248061665' post='1829269']
That would suck, especially if you do it by accident and were no where near ready to submit the post.

There are a lot of things that suck if you do them by accident -- fortunately it's not easy to accidentally press Ctrl+Enter.

It is a common standard that Ctrl+Enter is assigned to the OK/Submit button on forms/pages/windows where there are text entry fields that allow multi-line (where the Enter key just adds a new line in the text being entered). I'm pretty sure that if you tried it, you'd agree with me and you probably would never accidentally press Ctrl+Enter by mistake. :)

BTW, FogBugz works this way (Ctrl+Enter is mapped to submit in nearly every context) and it's designed by some pretty smart people.

[quote name='Jim_Kring' date='19 July 2009 - 11:58 PM' timestamp='1248062288' post='1829274']
It is a common standard that Ctrl+Enter is assigned to the OK/Submit button on forms/pages/windows where there are text entry fields that allow multi-line (where the Enter key just adds a new line in the text being entered). I'm pretty sure that if you tried it, you'd agree with me and you probably would never accidentally press Ctrl+Enter by mistake. :)

BTW, FogBugz works this way (Ctrl+Enter is mapped to submit in nearly every context) and it's designed by some pretty smart people.

I'm used to using CTRL+ENTER when I want to add a line when pressing enter by itself would submit. Otherwise, I don't use it. People who use mIRC (and there are a lot who do) would get mad at that. Same with Trillian users and those who use other popular and well known programs where CTRL+ENTER allows a "line break" instead of a submit. I'm heavily opposed to CTRL+ENTER being used to submit the post. ALT+ENTER, perhaps?

[quote name='Collin1000' date='20 July 2009 - 12:02 AM' timestamp='1248062564' post='1829277']
Knock yourself out.

Could there be a separation from the buttons and the attachment options? Like a single line for the buttons and then a gap and then the attachments as usual.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='19 July 2009 - 09:13 PM' timestamp='1248063186' post='1829281']
I'm used to using CTRL+ENTER when I want to add a line when pressing enter by itself would submit. Otherwise, I don't use it. People who use mIRC (and there are a lot who do) would get mad at that. Same with Trillian users and those who use other popular and well known programs where CTRL+ENTER allows a "line break" instead of a submit. I'm heavily opposed to CTRL+ENTER being used to submit the post. ALT+ENTER, perhaps?
I'm not a mIRC or Trillian user, but I use Shift+Enter on Skype to force a line break (although, upon test I see that Ctrl+Enter does the same). I'm not married to the idea of Ctrl+Enter for submit in IPB, but I'm absolutely positive that it is a current standard, at least on Windows.

[quote name='Jim_Kring' date='20 July 2009 - 12:20 AM' timestamp='1248063623' post='1829285']
[quote name='.Wolfie' date='20 July 2009 - 12:13 AM' timestamp='1248063186' post='1829281']
Could there be a separation from the buttons and the attachment options? Like a single line for the buttons and then a gap and then the attachments as usual.

Ya, maybe. I'm not married to the idea of Ctrl+Enter for submit in IPB, but I'm absolutely positive that it is a current standard, at least on Windows.

That was in reply to Collins' little screenshot of his skin edit.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='19 July 2009 - 09:13 PM' timestamp='1248063186' post='1829281']

Huh? :huh:

[quote name='ikillbill' date='20 July 2009 - 05:32 AM' timestamp='1248093143' post='1829433']
I would suggest move button right above "manage attachment"? maybe more intuitive

http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/288489-scrolling-down-just-to-seepress-the-post-new-topicadd-reply-button/page__view__findpost__p__1829277 :thumbsup:

[quote name='Collin1000' date='20 July 2009 - 08:04 AM' timestamp='1248091451' post='1829424']
Huh? :huh:

Look at your screenshot. The post/preview buttons are in the same shaded area as the word "Attachments". I was saying to have a single line (of that background color) for the post/preview buttons, then a blank 'line' of unshaded, then shaded with the word "Attachments".

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='20 July 2009 - 05:53 AM' timestamp='1248094418' post='1829447']
Look at your screenshot. The post/preview buttons are in the same shaded area as the word "Attachments". I was saying to have a single line (of that background color) for the post/preview buttons, then a blank 'line' of unshaded, then shaded with the word "Attachments".

This?

Archived