How about a smiley/avatar contest?

Jamer

Well there was a fantastic response to the skin contest, how about a smiley or avatar contest as I personally feel that the default ones that come with the forum script are a bit old hat now and we could do with a set of really nice quality png files to be included in future releases, thoughts?...

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='18 July 2009 - 08:13 AM' timestamp='1247901225' post='1828268']
The problem is that someone could come across a really nice one that they haven't seen anywhere else and/or know for a fact that it's painfully rare and submit it, claiming that it's their own design.

Well there is that but that could be included within the contest rules that if found out you would be disqualified or something along those lines. I just think that the default ones are pretty poor

What if it's not discovered until after the contest has been over for a couple of years? If the original author can prove ownership, then even if IPS were to remove all traces of it from their software, the damage would already have been done.

Don't get me wrong, I want a few new or updated smiley faces too, as another topic of mine will show. But in there is where the mention of copyright/etc was brought up.

:)

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='18 July 2009 - 08:26 AM' timestamp='1247901972' post='1828272']
What if it's not discovered until after the contest has been over for a couple of years? If the original author can prove ownership, then even if IPS were to remove all traces of it from their software, the damage would already have been done.

Don't get me wrong, I want a few new or updated smiley faces too, as another topic of mine will show. But in there is where the mention of copyright/etc was brought up.

:)

Well there must be a way around this, no different to skin contest really they use smiles how do we know that they have not be taken from somewhere else....just think we could do with upgrading some of the graphics and a contest would draw interest maybe...

The skin contest would be hard to steal because it was for IPB3.0 and even with the beta's and RC's, the 'authors' would have had to keep it up to par until they submitted it for the contest, making it extremely difficult to steal from someone else.

With the smileys, someone could use one that they know is rare to find/see and then claim it as their own. Same with avatars.

Now if the avatars were to be IPB3 specific, like say, it has to be animated and have IPB3 in it, that could work. Same with smilies, although the IPB3 would be hard to squeeze into such a small space. :)

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='18 July 2009 - 09:50 AM' timestamp='1247907019' post='1828315']
The skin contest would be hard to steal because it was for IPB3.0 and even with the beta's and RC's, the 'authors' would have had to keep it up to par until they submitted it for the contest, making it extremely difficult to steal from someone else.

With the smileys, someone could use one that they know is rare to find/see and then claim it as their own. Same with avatars.

Now if the avatars were to be IPB3 specific, like say, it has to be animated and have IPB3 in it, that could work. Same with smilies, although the IPB3 would be hard to squeeze into such a small space. :)

Well yes some good idea's there.

Just think we need some better more up to date graphics, thought this would be a good way of doing it...

Archived