Practice forum

Wolfie

So I had this idea. Install a forum, put some real data on it (ie, not just a few posts saying "this is a post", but the members can be fake or have fake email addresses). Then backup the database, upload all the files for all the add-ons (blog, downloads, gallery, links, shoutbox, subscriptions, tracker) and some of the hooks. Then clone that folder to another folder (as a backup).

Then arrange it so that someone (or a select group of people) would be in charge of the setup. If someone wants to be taught how to use certain features, they would be given an account and shown how to use something. They could be taught how to install an application/hook then how to configure the options. Shown how to uninstall the same things, what changes happen upon the install, etc.

Then when it's over, one of the 'admins' (someone who is helping to run it) could just press a button and have it all reset again.

In short, a training board. Or allow someone to sign up and create a training board where they could have a preloaded board that would be available for up to 2 hours. If they want another training board, they can just reapply with no problems. This could let an admin create a training board and then walk someone through different parts of the ACP (or mod options, etc) in order to let them try out different options/functions, without worry of messing something up. Also, during that 2 hours, the member should have a reset button that they could press to reload all the data.

The reason for the 2 hour limit is that it shouldn't take that long to take a tour through some functions, the member could always get a new demo pre-loaded board and then continue where they left off. It should be available only to those who own an active license (including those who pay for hosting), ie not available to alternate contacts.

I know we have talked about this already but just to add publically, I think it would be a great idea if it was easy enough to do. I suppose it could be easily reset like the demo board here. I am sure it would help a lot of people understand for installing applications/hooks etc.

It could be used by board admins when they want to show someone new the different features of the ACP, but without risk of live data being messed up. Would also allow admins to test out functions as they teach themselves with an easy 'reset' button.

I know it might not be too feasible to make available (even if only to those with active IPB licenses) but figured it couldn't hurt to mention the idea.

Archived