What needs to be done for 3.0.1

rbiss

I've been talking about this since the first day of IP3 previews in 2008. My hunch is now supported by feedback from my membership.

View New Posts and Today's Active Posts.

View New Content is a step down from View New Posts. Not sure what prompted it but it makes no sense. People want to follow their own threads through that feature. Was it that difficult to keep their own read posts in it? I'm trying to understand the logic for making that change.

Both of the above also need reference to the original posters in threads.

Without reverting back to those features it doesn't matter how much better the rest of the board is. They immediately detract from what should be a huge leap forward.

[quote name='rbiss' date='04 July 2009 - 02:14 AM' timestamp='1246670054' post='1819900']
I've been talking about this since the first day of IP3 previews in 2008. My hunch is now supported by feedback from my membership.

View New Posts and Today's Active Posts.

View New Content is a step down from View New Posts. Not sure what prompted it but it makes no sense. People want to follow their own threads through that feature. Was it that difficult to keep their own read posts in it? I'm trying to understand the logic for making that change.

Both of the above also need reference to the original posters in threads.

Without reverting back to those features it doesn't matter how much better the rest of the board is. They immediately detract from what should be a huge leap forward.

Many people found the old method confusing, and we used to receive many tickets about it. That is why it was changed, and I can't imagine it being changed back.
There is an article on IPS Resources to revert it back to the old behaviour if you're so inclined.

Long before IP3 was introduced I surveyed my members on surfing habits. 56% used view new posts as there sole method for using the board. All the hard work of the development team is overshadowed by this issue. Very misguided change. Both unfortunate and unnecessary.

[quote name='Μark' date='04 July 2009 - 02:26 AM' timestamp='1246699579' post='1820067']
Many people found the old method confusing, and we used to receive many tickets about it. That is why it was changed, and I can't imagine it being changed back.
There is an article on IPS Resources to revert it back to the old behaviour if you're so inclined.

I tried what the article said and it created errors. Perhaps someone on the development team can volunteer to make the change for me on my board.

When I use the code noted in that article this is the result I get when using the function:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ELSE, expecting T_FUNCTION in /home/home/public_html/forums/admin/applications/forums/extensions/searchPlugin.php on line 443

[quote name='rbiss' date='04 July 2009 - 02:27 PM' timestamp='1246714062' post='1820151']
I tried what the article said and it created errors. Perhaps someone on the development team can volunteer to make the change for me on my board.

Certainly, if you're having problems: by all means, submit a ticket :)

[quote name='Patrick Shaw' date='04 July 2009 - 03:05 AM' timestamp='1246691145' post='1820024']
I also think it vital to get links in RSS feeds FURLed... I figure if I keep mentioning this thread, someone will write me a patch...
http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/286627-making-rss-feed-links-furl/

[quote name='Charles' date='04 July 2009 - 09:06 AM' timestamp='1246712808' post='1820138']
I'm getting the feeling Patrick wants RSS feed URLs using the FURL system.

Gee Charles, where ever did you get that idea from? :whistle:

[quote name='Μark' date='04 July 2009 - 07:46 AM' timestamp='1246718789' post='1820190']
Certainly, if you're having problems: by all means, submit a ticket :)

I notice the modified version only finds posts from the homepage. What code would go in to work on all forum pages.

Fix view new posts. (not content)
Fix search.
Provide us with a decent skin.

Those are three huge flaws and you may find not many big sites upgrading unless they are sorted.

Out of interest, is there a mod out there to get the stats on board index and forum index in two columns as in every other version of IB. I don't like them in the same column underneath each other.

Works fine for me.

Again, works fine for me.

Ummm.... not sure what you mean "decent". If you don't like the look/feel then by all means... design one you think is better or grab one from the various resource sites.

Fix view new posts. (not content)

Fix search.

Provide us with a decent skin.

[quote name='marklcfc' date='04 July 2009 - 07:55 PM' timestamp='1246751757' post='1820452']
Those are three huge flaws and you may find not many big sites upgrading unless they are sorted.

Um, big sites pay big money and can afford to hire people to update the skin to match their site. If there's that much of an issue with the search, then they can submit a ticket to IPS and being a $pecial ¢lient I'm sure they'll whip up something rather quick to suit their needs. There's already a mod on how to change the new content behavior and that's all of your listed issues.

Anything else? :)

I'm on what I would regard as a big site. I won't be upgrading until a few issues are sorted out e.g. view new posts.

The skin issue one is nonsense. Just a matter buying a good skin from the likes of Dragonfly who make professional looking skins for a very modest price. The new IPB3 skin for me is about as boring as the previous default skins were and I would never contemplate using it.

3DKiwi

I would like to have a chat with the people who apparently had an issue with the old view new posts. How many went to IP asking for this existing conversion on 2.3.6 and exactly which planet are they from? Lets bring it on ... turn this into a UFC match.

[quote name='Andy D' date='05 July 2009 - 11:41 AM' timestamp='1246786882' post='1820581']
Have a look at this post from Matt :)

I've seen it and I currently have that very chunk of code in my globalTemlate. However, it seems like a temporary solution to me.

[quote name='3DKiwi' date='04 July 2009 - 07:26 PM' timestamp='1246753569' post='1820463']
I'm on what I would regard as a big site. I won't be upgrading until a few issues are sorted out e.g. view new posts.
Same here, I have large site (1.6 million posts) and the "View New Content" issues are going to be a nightmare for me. I love most of what has been done with 3.0.0, but this one issue just boggles my mind as far as the changes made. I've posted extensively on this in the past, but Invision has been very resistant on making significant changes. Some improvements were made to the "View New Content" output to add in some of the information that was removed, but overall it's still a far cry from the 2.3.6 "View New Posts" feature and it's just going to aggravate the heck out of my userbase. I just want it to work like it did with 2.3.6--show me any new posts since my last visit, and show the same amount of information in a tabular format as before. I am not adverse to change by any means, but the changes that were made just seem like they were done so without being well thought out. This is such an important feature of forum software that it really has me looking at alternatives to IP.Board.

[quote name='rbiss' date='04 July 2009 - 07:47 PM' timestamp='1246754879' post='1820464']
I would like to have a chat with the people who apparently had an issue with the old view new posts. How many went to IP asking for this existing conversion on 2.3.6 and exactly which planet are they from? Lets bring it on ... turn this into a UFC match.

Yeah, this really dumbfounds me. I can't even imagine how the heck people would get confused about the old "View New Posts". I'd love to see some of those tickets. The old format is not too dissimilar from the Topics view. The new format is vastly different.

I understand from one perspective what Invision was trying to do with "View New Content" in that they wanted to blend search results from each of the different application modules. That's a noble goal, but when the search index feature was removed, the reason for having these dumbed-down search results was negated. Now that people are converting their 2.3.x boards to 3.0.0, I've seen many Invision customers complaining about "View New Content" for various reasons. I really hope Invision finally listens to their customer base and makes the necessary changes to fix this important feature. And by "fix" I mean at minimum at least revert it to the previous functionality.

[quote name='rbiss' date='03 July 2009 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1246670054' post='1819900']

Wholeheartedly agreed.

..Al

I have had one positive comment about the new board. The rest have been nothing but complaints about view new content. I can assure you, if there had not been a change to VNP I would have members doing cartwheels and raving about the board.

This silly change has ruined a good forum. Needlessly, and no one seems to give a crap.

:(

Unfortunately, this thread is evidence we can't please everyone - people found the old way confusing, so it was changed - now other people don't like the new way.

Again, if you don't like view new content, just change it back. I even offered to do it for you ;)

You do have to realise though, things do get changed over time - while we can appreciate that not everyone is going to love these changes, we have to go by the majority of the feedback we get, which I'm sure you can understand :)

You, rbiss, might not "give a crap" - but that doesn't change the opinion of the many, many people who appreciate the change ;)

Archived