IPB 3.1.0 features

Axel Wers

I would require the following:

- Tags for topics (and be able to set the markup in a special color or with [] braces, also allow to choose from certain tags in certain forums)

- Search options when choosing a "group" from the dropdown it should also show people who have that group as secondary group (or have an option to choose this)

- ACP where the group permissions are you should be able to see how many people the settings have effect on (in other words once again include people that have that group as secondary group set)

Perhaps a feature that alerts users to new posts if they have been in quick reply or full editor. Basically when the user goes to post, an AJAX or similar popup could say:

"New posts have been made since you have last viewed this topic. View New | Continue Post"

Where View New would redirect them to the topic, saving their post in the quick reply, or opening a new window/tab for the topic. If they select Continue Post, it should update the topic by posting their post, but redirect them to the 'New Posts' that were made before they posted, but have yet to see.

[quote name='Edward V' date='18 August 2009 - 09:00 PM' timestamp='1250643643' post='1846009']
Perhaps a feature that alerts users to new posts if they have been in quick reply or full editor. Basically when the user goes to post, an AJAX or similar popup could say:

"New posts have been made since you have last viewed this topic. View New | Continue Post"

Where View New would redirect them to the topic, saving their post in the quick reply, or opening a new window/tab for the topic. If they select Continue Post, it should update the topic by posting their post, but redirect them to the 'New Posts' that were made before they posted, but have yet to see.

If something like that were to be implemented, I don't think it should be a popup that would interrupt the user from typing a reply.

[quote name='Brett B' date='18 August 2009 - 10:46 PM' timestamp='1250649966' post='1846041']
If something like that were to be implemented, I don't think it should be a popup that would interrupt the user from typing a reply.

Gmail has something like this, where a small pop up window notifies you that the there's a new reply to the conversation. It's not a traditional popup that steals focus but more of an overlay window. Think of it like the little "Loading" tab that you see at the top sometimes. It's like that. I think something like that could be beneficial, although I'm not sure what the point would be. Either you'd finish your post and then go add in a reply to that new post or you'd lose your post to read the new one.

[quote name='Brett B' date='19 August 2009 - 03:46 AM' timestamp='1250649966' post='1846041']

It doesn't have to be a real time pop-up. Could just be like the PM notification window (when refreshing the page).

Making the report center more useful...

[*]Make updating the status a new post and allow for a comment on the update (again, like the Tracker, and this would address the first bullet) [*]Show that there are new comments on a report with a "go to first unread post" icon (again, like the Tracker)

[*]Show who the last person to post/perform an action in the report thread is (similar to the Tracker)

I would like to see....

Similar Threads
'Search forums' / 'Search threads' boxes being at the top of the pages close to 'Add Reply' etc., as where they are at the footer they get missed by the majority.
View First Unread - (at top of threads) saves hitting the back button and then the small arrow on the forum page to go to the first unread post in a thread
Social Bookmarks - digg, Delicious etc.
Tags
Google ads (or similar) - with the ability to display adds in a number of places (between say 1st & 2nd post), inside the first post, in the header / footer. above the quick reply etc. All these being controlled by usergroups as to who does and does not see the ads.
When a restriction is in place for a period of time, give a countdown in seconds - saves people clicking the search button time and time again (which probably is a greater load that running a countdown).

[quote name='Funnykat' date='20 August 2009 - 01:51 AM' timestamp='1250729466' post='1846580']
I'd like to suggest an option for the members to choose between a 12 or 24 hours time format display ( like 8PM or 20:00) and the date format like dd/mm/yy or mm/dd/yy

+1 :)

[quote name='isdoo' date='23 August 2009 - 06:04 AM' timestamp='1251021865' post='1847929']
Similar Threads
'Search forums' / 'Search threads' boxes being at the top of the pages close to 'Add Reply' etc., as where they are at the footer they get missed by the majority.

Similar threads = searching for other threads based on topic I presume?

+1 on The search box being at the bottom but moved to the top or being in both places.

[quote name='isdoo' date='23 August 2009 - 06:04 AM' timestamp='1251021865' post='1847929']
View First Unread - (at top of threads) saves hitting the back button and then the small arrow on the forum page to go to the first unread post in a thread
Social Bookmarks - digg, Delicious etc.

Currently, if someone reads a topic, then that topic is marked as read, so backtracking and then clicking on the arrow would only take you to the last post, even if it's not the first unread. Thus, a link for "first unread" would take you to the last post as well, unless multiple replies have been made since the time you read the topic.

As for social bookmarking, this may not be exactly what you're talking about, but this is an idea that I coined up and could potentially have a similar function:
3.1 request. "Favorite Posts"

Google ads (or similar) - with the ability to display adds in a number of places (between say 1st & 2nd post), inside the first post, in the header / footer. above the quick reply etc. All these being controlled by usergroups as to who does and does not see the ads.
When a restriction is in place for a period of time, give a countdown in seconds - saves people clicking the search button time and time again (which probably is a greater load that running a countdown).

Placements of ads would be best as a mod, even though I think it would be nice if skin templates were to pre-exist for that purpose so that if you add the html code it would automatically show it. But other than that, best left as a mod.

The countdown, eh.. Being told that that the user must wait XX seconds between searches along with "You must wait another YY seconds for your next search" would do the trick. Edumacate them on the delay and tell them how much longer at the same time.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='23 August 2009 - 08:10 PM' timestamp='1251054621' post='1848042']

As for social bookmarking, this may not be exactly what you're talking about, but this is an idea that I coined up and could potentially have a similar function:
3.1 request. "Favorite Posts"

Placements of ads would be best as a mod, even though I think it would be nice if skin templates were to pre-exist for that purpose so that if you add the html code it would automatically show it. But other than that, best left as a mod.

The countdown, eh.. Being told that that the user must wait XX seconds between searches along with "You must wait another YY seconds for your next search" would do the trick. Edumacate them on the delay and tell them how much longer at the same time.

Re social bookmarking - this would not be within the browser / forum, but on external sites - now used by most of the larger sites - helps with search engines etc.

Ads - not sure why the ability to have ads built in should be a mod - many do not have the coding skills to place them between say first & second posts or above the quick reply box - so a built in option would be nice. Even if it just a couple of locations. 'Tis better than nothing:)

[quote name='isdoo' date='23 August 2009 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1251059589' post='1848085']
Ads - not sure why the ability to have ads built in should be a mod - many do not have the coding skills to place them between say first & second posts or above the quick reply box - so a built in option would be nice. Even if it just a couple of locations. 'Tis better than nothing:)

Because some of the IPS customers are large businesses that have no need for advertisements on their company run boards. Also with IPB3, you don't need to have coding skills, only be able to upload files and then install the mods (via hooks/applications) to use them. :)

It can be done but the problem with just a simple refresh is.. How do you know when it's the user who refreshed -vs- an ajax refreshing? Also what if they see something and want to compare it with a view from a different browser and automatic refreshing clears it away? They no longer have the option of doing a screenshot, etc.

[quote name='MindTooth' date='23 August 2009 - 05:36 PM' timestamp='1251066981' post='1848140']
I would really love to a "View My Posts". Where you can track your threads where you have participated. phpBB, SMF, PunBB has had this feature for years.

Birger :)

I had to add this to 2.3.6 and I added the same thing to my 3.0.2 forum two days ago. I have a "My Posts" link on my forum index that returns all threads (well, it's limited to 1,000) that you have participated in. I still have to tweak it a bit, but it works. I converted to IPB from phpBB, so my users were pretty unhappy that IP.Board was missing this feature. When I upgraded to 3.0.2 I can't tell you how many people asked why that feature was missing. I had to scramble to add it back.

Sure would be nice to see this as a stock feature since Invision is already so close. You can view all your posts and see all the threads you've started, but not all the threads you've participated in.

I will submit this mod once I've had a little more time to work on it.

..Al

The ability to add multiple domains (Multiple forums with different categories) to 1 invision database install that shares members/post stats/etc.

when you login on the homepage it displays your websites instead of all your forum categories.

a.com
b.com
c.com

When you click on a website it then displays the forums like IPB does now.
Each website would have the ability to have its own categories/forums/sub-forums.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='23 August 2009 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1251066689' post='1848138']
How do you know when it's the user who refreshed -vs- an ajax refreshing? Also what if they see something and want to compare it with a view from a different browser and automatic refreshing clears it away? They no longer have the option of doing a screenshot, etc.

How do you know when it's the user who refreshed -vs- an ajax refreshing?
Ask your members ?

Also what if they see something and want to compare it with a view from a different browser and automatic refreshing clears it away? They no longer have the option of doing a screenshot, etc.
Probably very rare, but I see kind of what you mean, if someone sees a topic they want to click on the index then go away to the door or something they then come back and it could be gone from the topic view and they would have to go into the forum and look for it.

[quote name='ClanFeC' date='24 August 2009 - 05:48 AM' timestamp='1251107291' post='1848264']
The ability to add multiple domains (Multiple forums with different categories) to 1 invision database install that shares members/post stats/etc.

when you login on the homepage it displays your websites instead of all your forum categories.

a.com
b.com
c.com

Each website would have the ability to have its own categories/forums/sub-forums.

Wouldn't be possible because in the License Agreement when you purchase and use IPB, you are limited to one install at one URL. The most you could get away with would be to have a domain name point to a specific forum/subforum, but from there it would still be the same board.

[quote name='Gaffney' date='24 August 2009 - 10:05 AM' timestamp='1251122725' post='1848334']
How do you know when it's the user who refreshed -vs- an ajax refreshing?
Ask your members ?

"Are you refreshing the page or is this Ajax?"

Um yeah that could get really annoying.

By the way, who's that little creature munching away endlessly in your sig?

Although my suggestion is pretty simple and could be implemented as a hook, I'd like it to be a default feature of IPB.

So here it is: I'd like the Reputation system to act as a Thanks mod, like for example people who reped be mentioned below the reped posts like

Like: list of nicknames

Dislikes: list of nicknames

[quote name='ClanFeC' date='24 August 2009 - 10:48 AM' timestamp='1251107291' post='1848264']

a.com
b.com
c.com

Would be a great feature - however it would require additional licences - something that I would be prepared to buy in return for this feature.

it is a feature that many people have tried to achieve over the years.

The only way to do similar is to use converge - but this would not allow the sharing of forums :( but at least a site could use multiple domains.

Archived