IPB 3.1.0 features

Axel Wers

My "Must have-items" - for legal reasons:

[*]Block access to certain member profiles for non-admins - If a member wants to leave my board I am legally obliged to remove their profile information unless I have good reasons to not do this. One of these good reasons could be to prevent them from registering again. However, in this case I have to make sure that the public can't see their profile any longer. So there should be an option based on the member group that says "No access to profile page but for admins" Removing them from the member list is not enough btw.

Nice to have:

A button for every post that says "Find next post by this member in the current thread". Sometimes you want to basically follow someone through the discussion and such a tiny button would definitely help with this.

[*]Force member to accept board rules or terms of service sgain - There should be an option to force all members to once again accept changed board rules/TOS the next time they log in. I could send them emails (if they allow my to do this...) but they could alwasy claim that technical reasons prevented them from getting the mail. I would be standing on shaky grounds. So it would be important to simply say "New rules - accept them to use the board any longer".

[quote name='TheArchon' date='08 August 2009 - 01:46 PM' timestamp='1249753588' post='1840569']
Nice to have:

A button for every post that says "Find next post by this member in the current thread". Sometimes you want to basically follow someone through the discussion and such a tiny button would definitely help with this.

How about clicking a button that would show only their posts in that thread, instead of "prev/next post" buttons?

Something I like from Zetaboards (oh my god! . . .) is that the "all topics" & "all posts" now (for them) are arranged by month, I really like that. How about something similar (for each serivce: Forum, blog, gallery). . . .

For the boards who use more than one language in their board...

Make different default languages depending in the forum users are...

Forum 1 --> Default language 1
Forum 2 --> Default language 2
Forum 3 --> Default language 1
Forum 4 --> Default language 3
Forum 5 --> Default language 1

and so on...

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='08 August 2009 - 08:29 PM' timestamp='1249756162' post='1840597']
How about clicking a button that would show only their posts in that thread, instead of "prev/next post" buttons?

No, it is supposed to be a navigation tool, not a way to change how the page is displayed. The post(s) should still be viewable next to to the adjacent ones to preserve the context.

[quote name='TheArchon' date='08 August 2009 - 08:34 PM' timestamp='1249778083' post='1840718']
No, it is supposed to be a navigation tool, not a way to change how the page is displayed. The post(s) should still be viewable next to to the adjacent ones to preserve the context.

Perhaps a 3 way system.. "<prev |filter| next>"

Pop up menu so it doesn't clutter the post view.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='09 August 2009 - 03:56 AM' timestamp='1249782997' post='1840741']

Cluttering the post view? It's just one icon, two if you want to include a prev button.

Just one example of how this could work, look at the blue green icon on the right (Note that there only moderators have this icon.)

It does not even have be as prominent as in the example above but that's up to the skin designer anyway.

[quote name='TheArchon' date='09 August 2009 - 01:17 PM' timestamp='1249838232' post='1840934']
Cluttering the post view? It's just one icon, two if you want to include a prev button.

Just one example of how this could work, look at the blue green icon on the right (Note that there only moderators have this icon.)

It does not even have be as prominent as in the example above but that's up to the skin designer anyway.

I'm thinking about if someone wants to see all of one persons posts or go back and forth. Can be helpful if someone is offering help and you want to review all of their posts only, etc. If you're gonna have a next, may as well have a prev, and in that case, a filter would totally rock.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='08 August 2009 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1249782997' post='1840741']

[quote name='TheArchon' date='09 August 2009 - 12:17 PM' timestamp='1249838232' post='1840934']

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='09 August 2009 - 12:41 PM' timestamp='1249839688' post='1840946']
I'm thinking about if someone wants to see all of one persons posts or go back and forth. Can be helpful if someone is offering help and you want to review all of their posts only, etc. If you're gonna have a next, may as well have a prev, and in that case, a filter would totally rock.

If you wanted to see all posts of only one member (or a select group of members (by group?)) why not click a button (or something) that then loads that same topic but with only that member's (or group of members) posts. If you want to see all posts again (Normal) another (that isn't visable normally) button or link.

[quote name='dlf' date='09 August 2009 - 02:13 PM' timestamp='1249841580' post='1840963']
If you wanted to see all posts of only one member (or a select group of members (by group?)) why not click a button (or something) that then loads that same topic but with only that member's (or group of members) posts. If you want to see all posts again (Normal) another (that isn't visable normally) button or link.

That's what I said.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='09 August 2009 - 07:41 PM' timestamp='1249839688' post='1840946']

That would be harder to implement and would require more clicks by the user, I suppose. I only want a quick and dirty way to follow someone through the discussion without hiding other people's posts. Of course you may have other ideas, but I only wanted to make clear that I think that the feature would grow too big compared to the simple concept I have in mind.

[quote name='dlf' date='09 August 2009 - 08:13 PM' timestamp='1249841580' post='1840963']

Once again: It could work this way but then it would change the way the thread is displayed. My idea was just a link to jump through it.

How about highlighting (or in some way) changing the user's (or groups) post? And I just thought of an idea of my own (though it might be somewhat useless) --- A little lock (to the right (left?) of a topic on the main forum -- weather the topic is still open or closed.

Here are my top suggestions:
1. Improve multi-language support (also for RTL languages!!)
2. Bring back the recently activity feature (from beta).
3. Bring back the AJAX search (from beta).
4. Better addo-ons integration with IP.Board.
5. Show who repped the post. (can be viewed by group permission).
6. Show who repped the user (reps history such as display name history feature in user profile page - can be viewed by group permission) + who the user has repped (can be viewed by group permission - also fulfillsthis feature request: http://forums.invisi..._fromsearch__1).
7. Quick ban in mini profile (have some suggestions if needed).
8. Quick check box to qoute a post with the multi-quote button in the fast reply feature (like in vBulletin). A screeshot added:
suggestion3.jpg
9. Quick sort listing ordering (like in vBulletin). A screenshot added:
suggestion2.jpg
10. Let the user to see his own unapproved posts same as the admin sees it.
11. Tags System.
12. Split the AJAX windows, and also fixes the problem of the X button being placed in the wrong side. A mockup added:
suggestion1.jpg

Something that vB has that IPB doesn't.. "Smart" marking of read topics. If you read a topic that has new posts but you don't read the last page of the topic, then it's still marked as unread (because really, you have unread posts in that topic). If you happen to start reading the topic (say the first of 5 pages) and your first unread marker is in page 3, then it'll take you to that first unread post on page 3. If you go to page 3 and then look at the topic list again, I believe it'll take you to the first post on page 4 (since you didn't look at it or the last page yet). Basically only marks all the posts read that you might have actually read, instead of the entire topic.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='15 August 2009 - 10:12 PM' timestamp='1250370720' post='1844247']
Something that vB has that IPB doesn't.. "Smart" marking of read topics. If you read a topic that has new posts but you don't read the last page of the topic, then it's still marked as unread (because really, you have unread posts in that topic). If you happen to start reading the topic (say the first of 5 pages) and your first unread marker is in page 3, then it'll take you to that first unread post on page 3. If you go to page 3 and then look at the topic list again, I believe it'll take you to the first post on page 4 (since you didn't look at it or the last page yet). Basically only marks all the posts read that you might have actually read, instead of the entire topic.

This sounds great, but probably won't make it into 3.1, maybe 3.2? :)
I believe there are too many features that are badly needed and or promised in the 3.1 release.

[quote name='Kfir' date='13 August 2009 - 03:04 PM' timestamp='1250172260' post='1843141']
Here are my top suggestions:
1. Improve multi-language support (also for RTL languages!!)

Completely agree with this point.

A week for an user can start on Monday and on Sunday for another one => an entry in language files not in settings.

All the messages like the board offline's one => an entry in language files

Boards rules ditto

Anything that can be translated via PCA and depending on the language of a member should be in language files including date, time and number format.

There is always a default language so we can image a 'date_short', 'date_long'... entries in language files not in settings.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='15 August 2009 - 10:12 PM' timestamp='1250370720' post='1844247']

i know matt will love this idea, took him long enough to get it working the first time round. Although i can see the sense in this feature.

Archived