Essential Features

sike

I just wanted to say Great work on IPB so far guys! I really like it, and I realize that 3.0 isn't even out yet, but there are a couple things that I think you could've included, which vB has had at least since vB3... It makes me contemplate really going with vB (I just don't like the look of vB4)

1) Hover over topic title gives preview of content

2) Topic Prefixes!!!! (I don't like installing "mods")

3) Show a post's edit History (as mod or admin)

EDIT feature: 4) On the forum view, instead of having the (rename, open/close, delete, and pin) icons, they should've been on the actual topic view next to the topic name
(maybe align:right in the topic title bar) because that is where you would make your "Mod" decisions. Not before or after you open the topic title, you would usually only pin/close/delete one topic at a time, after viewing it to see you need to make that decision.

Maybe these can be included in 3.1.0 because I really think these are necessary. Any others you would like to see? I am on the fence right now between vB and IPB and have been reading these forums for days, checking on feature implementations and looking around on my friends board.

Hello,

1) Most of us are against this feature, I'm afraid. It's a preference type thing. However, I'm positive there will be mods/hooks to accomplish this, as there have been in the past.

2) Again, we're not very fond of this feature. We do want to implement a fully featured tagging system, which would likely cover the use cases most people have brought up for this, however.

3) You can see moderation history on a topic if you are an administrator using the moderator dropdown at the bottom of the page ("View Topic History")

4) You can already accomplish all of these things on topic view from the bottom of the page. Many people, however, do use the quick mod tools in the forum listing (e.g. to correct a typo in the topic name, or pin a topic they know they want pinned). :) Are you saying you'd like the functionality duplicated on topic view page by adding links to the top of the page that do the same thing as the options at the bottom of the page?

[quote name='bfarber' date='29 May 2009 - 01:08 PM' timestamp='1243602519' post='1806123']
3) You can see moderation history on a topic if you are an administrator using the moderator dropdown at the bottom of the page ("View Topic History")

Alright, I would like to see what a member edited each time they edited their post (each specific post), not just what moderators did in the thread.

4) You can already accomplish all of these things on topic view from the bottom of the page. Many people, however, do use the quick mod tools in the forum listing (e.g. to correct a typo in the topic name, or pin a topic they know they want pinned). :) Are you saying you'd like the functionality duplicated on topic view page by adding links to the top of the page that do the same thing as the options at the bottom of the page?

Alright thank you for your response. I think the images would be nice in the topic title bar (to the far right of it, under where Watch Topic and Start New Topic buttons are) and at the bottom in the drop down list (the icons just add a little flair) They are very distracting on the forum view on rollover, even though they are very light.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading posts from 2007 and 2008 about the planned tagging system. A lot of my members are recent converts from vB that are missing the thread prefix and tagging systems.

The sooner, the better, dudes. ;)

1. need that tagging system to help search !!! but dont need it on the forumview !!! TOO MUCH CLUTTER. tagging topics, forums and users

2. need the revision history so the users can revert to earlier post, 1-3 revision is amble backup

[quote name='m4rtin' date='13 June 2009 - 03:26 AM' timestamp='1244860003' post='1809533']
Storing three revisions will in worst case scenario triple the size of ibf_posts, which already is the largest table.

kick it out to another table !!

[quote name='chasz' date='12 June 2009 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1244857603' post='1809528']
2. need the revision history so the users can revert to earlier post, 1-3 revision is amble backup

[quote name='m4rtin' date='12 June 2009 - 10:26 PM' timestamp='1244860003' post='1809533']
Storing three revisions will in worst case scenario triple the size of ibf_posts, which already is the largest table.

[quote name='chasz' date='12 June 2009 - 10:38 PM' timestamp='1244860718' post='1809538']
kick it out to another table !!

Copy data to a different table (as suggested) with all necessary information (original poster, original post time, editor name and time, topic post was in, etc) along with extra options such as keep (protect from deletion). In the ACP, turning the system on/off, which groups have their edits saved, which edits to delete (how old before it gets deleted), etc.

Only thing is that after edits are auto cleaned, the table would need to be optimized every so often to clear out the deletes.

Also, what about storing a copy of the changes, similar to a wiki comparison? Could be useful for huge posts that have minor edits and used when it will be smaller than storing the entire post.

lol i am new to mysql, but you dont need to copy the full topics/posts table, you can do an association based on the post/topic id.

doing a comparison like the skins difference check is the next logical step

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='13 June 2009 - 01:10 PM' timestamp='1244913027' post='1809726']
Copy data to a different table (as suggested) with all necessary information (original poster, original post time, editor name and time, topic post was in, etc) along with extra options such as keep (protect from deletion). In the ACP, turning the system on/off, which groups have their edits saved, which edits to delete (how old before it gets deleted), etc.

[quote name='chasz' date='13 June 2009 - 08:38 PM' timestamp='1244939917' post='1809825']
lol i am new to mysql, but you dont need to copy the full topics/posts table, you can do an association based on the post/topic id.

doing a comparison like the skins difference check is the next logical step

When I said "topic post was in", that was a reference not a full copy. Also, the post comparison isn't always the best idea as the data needed to regenerate the differences could outweigh the final result itself. That's why I said about using comparisons when it would be smaller than the post itself. If it's a huge post and the differences could be stored using data that is anywhere from 5% smaller to being 95% (or more) smaller than the saved data. Of course there is also the overhead involved with regenerating the data not only for the final product but also when viewing the history of several changes. Also keep in mind that for the first edit, you'd want to save a copy of the original post and not only the changes made.

Archived