BBCode in Comments

Graeme S.

• 11 months later...

It's deliberately not done. The idea of profile comments was to be as simple as possible so as to not detract users from the actual forums.

How would allowing smilies in the guestbook, detract from the forums? That answer really doesn't make any sense at all. You're basically saying, users will now use the forum more, because they can't post smilies in the guestbook. Urghhh OK.

I think the answer is more likely due to the fact that while searching for inspiration for the comments system, you decided Facebook was the site to model but rather than just taking their best bits, you copied it almost exactly. Bad move IMO.

Well, while I didn't work here when the feature was added, the suggestion we got was probably "you should add profile comments, like Facebook!" so probably yes ;)

It's a really simple change though, leave it with me and I'll post some instructions later :)

admin/applications/members/sources/classes/comments.php

Find:

$comment = IPSText::truncate( $comment, 400 ); $comment = preg_replace( "#(\r\n|\r|\n|<br />|<br>){1,}#s", "\n", $comment ); $comment = trim( IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->stripBadWords( $comment ) );

Replace with:

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_html = 0; IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_nl2br = 1; IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_smilies = 1; IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_bbcode = 1; $comment = IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->preDbParse( IPSText::truncate( $comment, 400 ) );

Find:

$comments[] = $row;

Add above:

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_html = 0; IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_nl2br = 1; IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_bbcode = 1; IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_smilies = 1; IPSText::getTextClass( 'bbcode' )->parsing_mgroup = $row['member_group_id']; IPSText::getTextClass( 'bbcode' )->parsing_mgroup_others = $row['mgroup_others']; $row['comment'] = IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->preDisplayParse( $row['comment'] );

Facebook wasn't quite as big and popular as it is now when that feature was added. I don't think Facebook provided any real inspiration for the profile comments feature. We simply wanted a "light weight" parser there instead of full-on parsing of every tag. In fact, at first, no parsing was done, but people requested we add at least b/i/u support, so we did.

Find:

$comment = IPSText::truncate( $comment, 400 );

$comment = preg_replace( "#(\r\n|\r|\n|<br />|<br>){1,}#s", "\n", $comment );

$comment = trim( IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->stripBadWords( $comment ) );

Replace with:

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_html		= 0;

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_nl2br	= 1;

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_smilies	= 1;

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_bbcode	= 1;

$comment = IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->preDbParse( IPSText::truncate( $comment, 400 ) );

Find:

$comments[] = $row;

Add above:

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_html 				= 0;

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_nl2br				= 1;

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_bbcode				= 1;

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_smilies				= 1;

IPSText::getTextClass( 'bbcode' )->parsing_mgroup			= $row['member_group_id'];

IPSText::getTextClass( 'bbcode' )->parsing_mgroup_others	= $row['mgroup_others'];

$row['comment']	= IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->preDisplayParse( $row['comment'] );

Thanks for this. I had already modded my IPB to do this - I was just pushing for a setting, so we don't have to modify the IPB source code in the future :P

Find:

$comment = IPSText::truncate( $comment, 400 );

$comment = preg_replace( "#(\r\n|\r|\n|<br />|<br>){1,}#s", "\n", $comment );

$comment = trim( IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->stripBadWords( $comment ) );

Replace with:

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_html		= 0;

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_nl2br	= 1;

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_smilies	= 1;

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_bbcode	= 1;

$comment = IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->preDbParse( IPSText::truncate( $comment, 400 ) );

Find:

$comments[] = $row;

Add above:

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_html 				= 0;

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_nl2br				= 1;

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_bbcode				= 1;

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_smilies				= 1;

IPSText::getTextClass( 'bbcode' )->parsing_mgroup			= $row['member_group_id'];

IPSText::getTextClass( 'bbcode' )->parsing_mgroup_others	= $row['mgroup_others'];

$row['comment']	= IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->preDisplayParse( $row['comment'] );

I'm currently using this code, however BBCode parsing doesn't work (urls, images, etc). Even though parse_bbcode is set to 1, it has no effect. I double checked the DB and its definitely not getting parsed. it simply shows up as text, like:

[/img]

[img]		

and doesn't parse it at all. Turning off parse_smilies, however, stops smilies from parsing, as it should. I just can't get it to parse BBCode. Any suggestions?

Sorry I missed this :)

There is an error in the second edit I posted, it should be:

IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_html = 0; IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_nl2br = 1; IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_bbcode = 1; IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_smilies = 1; IPSText::getTextClass( 'bbcode' )->parsing_mgroup = $row['member_group_id']; IPSText::getTextClass( 'bbcode' )->parsing_mgroup_others = $row['mgroup_others']; $row['comment_content'] = IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->preDisplayParse( $row['comment_content'] );

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CallieJo

Thanks for this. Not parsing images and smilies in the profile comments was a big dent in our move from vb. Especially when it left a mess of bbcode in the comments from the import. Now all is great thanks to the help in this thread. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived