3.0 slow

Guest rbiss

I find it very slow to type a post. There is a delay like there isn't enough RAM on my computer. I suppose there isn't but I wouldn't be the only one on my site. This concerns me.

Is this on this site or on your own IPB 3 installation?

IPB is slow in my opinion to. I think that it is (at least in part) caused from the fact that it is ioncube decoded, so it must be decoded and processed every time you load a page!

Q. Do encoded files or the loader affect performance?
A. Not much, and when the loader is installed in the php.ini file, encoded files may run faster than the unencoded scripts. Unlike unencoded scripts and those from source based encoders, ionCube encoded files are compiled and optimised at encoding time, and so don't need to be parsed or compiled at runtime. This reduces the usual overhead in PHP, and offsets the performance overheads of the code protection.

The files on this server are not encoded.

As for the slowness, what browser are you using? I find using Firefox that if I leave it open for a few days it slowly creeps up in memory usage until nearly everything in Firefox takes several seconds. Switching tabs, typing, scrolling, clicking links, etc. Usually at that point it's eating up over 1GB of memory on my system. Restarting FF solves the problem usually. (That's not for IPB specifically, that's just usage of FF in general - it needs to be restarted periodically.)

0.4219 isn't slow. You can even say "fast" for a really big framework like the one IPB has.

lol, i thought 0.25 on my own server was bad but 0.4 is gonna be noticable !!!

when your aim is to get rid of hacks to go full php5 and web 2, i expect to hit 2.36 speed of 0.11

You're talking all of the things IPB has to do in less than half a second. I really don't expect backend processing to get much quicker than that for IPB3 I'm afraid.

There may be other optimizations elsewhere that can be made, but in terms of "raw speed", .4 seconds itself is not slow. I can't even blink that fast.

To be honest, .2 vs .5 seconds is not going to be noticable to an end user. There are going to be other factors that come into play when you are talking about those speeds. For instance if some specific request triggered an endless loop (e.g. an ajax request, or a task) you might never notice it, but it might eat up server resources - which would then make the site feel slow even if most pages were fast.

Performance and optimizations are a never-ending task.

Archived