Will there be an upgrade pack...

Guest jhutch

If I were to install the Beta 4, will there be upgrade packs that would bring me all the way up to the final release? Or does it start over for the RC's? Or how exactly does that work.

I would love to start skinning, organizing forums, etc. But I don't want to start that if I am going to have to start all over later.

They won't make any guarantees and they've said repeatedly not to install betas on a live board.

From bfarber in another post about release candidates: (we're still on beta)

We won't support an RC site. When we get to RC stages, we are saying we believe it is ready for production use so you can upgrade if you want, but it is unsupported until Final.

Right, thanks.

I'm not planning on making it a live site. I'm smarter than that. But I would like to have the site going for a few staff members to look at. Just so we can start designing and editing skins and formats to get it perfected for the launch of the new boards, and the final release

The way it's worked in the past is if you use RC you will be fine eventually, but until it reached final you're stuck if soemthing happens and you can't find someone with answers on how to fix it. With beta I would not even consider using it live. With RC I will probably use it live, but people who have huge sites shouldn't risk even RC ones in my opinion.

Although I suppose if you back everything up properly there would be no harm in trying it when it's at RC.

Archived