Enabling rte and flashuploader as default

Guest PrefeX

Do you mean Globally, so that *everyone* has them enabled by default all at once and for new registrations as well? That will take modification, I think. I'll leave that to someone better versed in code.

But if that's not what you meant, in: ACP, Topics Posts And Polls, botttom of the page, you can *allow* the user to use them, then they have to go to My Controls to make the two choices.

The clue is that my visitors all have flash and modern browsers, and i only want the setting to enable it as default when users registers, not for all thst have it set already, the option to turn it off should also still be in My Settings...

The flashuploader and rte edittor is much more up-to-date, and as a technology forum, using the more "outdated" function as default is not a good choice. Besides, the flashuploader have a message that tells the user to disable it...

Run these queries, which will change the default values for new registrations.

Flash Uploader

ALTER TABLE  `members` CHANGE  `member_uploader`  `member_uploader` VARCHAR( 32 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT  'flash'

Editor

ALTER TABLE  `members` CHANGE  `members_editor_choice`  `members_editor_choice` CHAR( 3 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT  'rte'

:)

I would say it's generally better/safer to allow your users to change there settings to have the flash uploader and rte as default, just because of compatibility issues with individual user browser/software if that makes sense.

98% of all computers in the world have Flash installed, it would make more sense to give an error for those that have compatibility issues. Besides, they always have the option of disabling it, which only a small percentage of members would want/need to. Which other site/forum disables Flash uploads by default? Even Ebay uses it...nuff said.

Run these queries, which will change the default values for new registrations.

Flash Uploader

ALTER TABLE  `members` CHANGE  `member_uploader`  `member_uploader` VARCHAR( 32 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT  'flash'

Editor

ALTER TABLE  `members` CHANGE  `members_editor_choice`  `members_editor_choice` CHAR( 3 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT  'rte'

:)

This reminds me that there should be a favorite function for topics/posts, just like images, blogs, downloads etc.

[b][size="5"]98%[/size][/b] of all computers in the world have Flash installed, it would make more sense to give an error for those that have compatibility issues. Besides, they always have the option of disabling it, which only a small percentage of members would want/need to. Which other site/forum disables Flash uploads by default? Even Ebay uses it...nuff said.

Also, the only browser i can think of that might have problems with RTE is ie 6, and that is about to get faced out by IE 7/8 and other browsers...
Would make a lot more sense if this was enabled as default, or could be enabled as default without messing in the SQL...

RTE by default is okay, but Flash uploader enabled by default is a really BAD idea imo.

With Flash 10 the flash uploader doesn't work anymore because Adobe added some security things so anyone with Flash 10 (or above) won't be able to use it properly (myself included for example)

[b][size="5"]98%[/size][/b] of all computers in the world have Flash installed, it would make more sense to give an error for those that have compatibility issues. Besides, they always have the option of disabling it, which only a small percentage of members would want/need to. Which other site/forum disables Flash uploads by default? Even Ebay uses it...nuff said.

Many websites INCLUDING popular sites such as FaceBook & MySpace tell you that you're using the BASIC uploader and 'click here' if you want to use the 'FLASH UPLOADER' - Maybe forum admins and so forth have up to date software/browser updates, but many forum users are NOT ALWAYS computer savvy, they are just online to get resources and information and then gone, you would be surprised.

Yes, we're using the Flash 10 version of swfupload.

The simple fact is that the majority of users here are relatively tech-savvy. Yes, for all of us it makes perfect sense to have it enabled by default. However, a great many users are not that tech savvy. Just look at the "IE6 support" topics that have popped up with IPB3 to see how far back some users are. We felt that it was best to require a user to enable it to use it - that way if something doesn't work at least they have an idea of how to fix the issue themself, since they had to change a setting for the uploader which "broke" it, they'll understand changing it back will "fix" it.

How about RTE editor then?
I'm pretty sure IE 6 don't got any huge issues with it...

At least add a message like the one Lee Craventold about above the basic uploader...
Would still love to see an ACP option to set the default for new users...

How about RTE editor then?

I'm pretty sure IE 6 don't got any huge issues with it...

Why do you want to force the RTE editor on your users?
My browsers wont have any issues with it, but I still don't feel the need to use RTE.

And to bring on some numbers. 121 of my 20500 members use that editor.

Archived