Okay, I find myself pouting...

Guest IBSkin

I never used myself also.
But, I manage a big community with more than 20,000 users and 2,077,680 posts.
One time i moved this "top" button a bit, and i got much noise about it.
I think, there's much more than 1% that use it.
Those who do not use it, wouldn't notice if it there or not. For those who use it, it really usefull.
So why to remove it ?

I don't think it's right to force your own habits on others, just because you think it's better.
(so you got 8 button mouse, or use home key ? how is this relevant ?)

Because its Ugly, and the IPS staff yelled across the office when making IPB 3 "Hey, the top button..... Does any one actually use this?", and every one replied "No". Just like a majority of us.

It's going to be a mod anyways, should just stop bickering about it while your ahead.

Want to bet that the majority doesn't use it? And it's "ugly"? There's a button right in that same area right now, so if another button ther eis ugly then so is the report button apparently. With such blunt answers, though, I think nobody cares what the majority would want anyway.

Philippines Zone, what use is the tutorial if you didn't post where it is. :P Someone else told how to get the button back in also, but it didn't seem to work. Since that point I have not seen anyone else mention how. Unless you did it from scratch. But someone was saying it's left in the CSS, but simply commented out.

We;ll worry about what we choose, thanks.

And by the way, notice even staff said this has been "done to death" as did you, which shows a lot of people want it back in. So whoever made that comment that msot people don't want it back in is just assuming agaist the evidence.

Perhaps the main thing that annoys me about VB is that it doesn't have the up button for each post. Way to go in reverse of what people want and then just brag about not including it. The users browsing areas don't look hood either and I think most agree with that also. Isn't a company supposed to try to do what will make it most likely for themselves to sell product rather than being stubborn about things "they" think are best, but others disagree with?

The reason this issue keeps coming up is the same people who have brought it up keep bringing it up. Those of us who don't want the top button or otherwise don't care have learned to master the simple methods provided to us by the browser, OS, and the hardware at our fingertips to accomplish the same task much more conveniently and simply don't care to make our opinion on the matter known. Not to mention it gets tedious reading posts where people are arguing about the removal of a link that can be added back in my editing a skin template.

And, for the record Estranged, your perceived "majority", in this thread alone: only 7 out of 24 people in this thread said they wanted it back.

...only 7 out of 24 people in this thread said they wanted it back.

This is the hard part to get across to someone making a suggestion. :rolleyes:

That's 7 out of 24 in this thread. Care to take a guess how many customers we have total? Just because 7 people posted in a thread they want button x or feature y does not mean the majority of our customers do.

This is the hard part to get across to someone making a suggestion.

rolleyes.gif

That's 7 out of 24 in this thread. Care to take a guess how many customers we have total? Just because 7 people posted in a thread they want button x or feature y does not mean the majority of our customers do.

The other 17 didn't say they don't want it.

If we want to go on numbers let's talk about reputation system. I see there are over 100,000 members here. For even 1% to have said they want the rep system that would be more than 1,000 members. Want to bet on whether 1,000 people posted here saying they wanted it? Let alone a majority, which would have been over 55,000. But I see it added. i would venture to say many more people want the up button than the rep system.

I've seen 2 people say flat out they don't want the up button. Back when people asked for the rep systm, it was a very large percentage syaing no don't add it. Nobody is ever going to notice the up link at the bottom of the page where the copyright is! And no most people don't like pressing keyboard shortcuts when they are already using the mouse and can conveniently click right where the arrow is rather than having to use their other hand or take their hand off the mouse to press a key.

The other 17 didn't say they don't want it.

If we want to go on numbers let's talk about reputation system. I see there are over 100,000 members here. For even 1% to have said they want the rep system that would be more than 1,000 members. Want to bet on whether 1,000 people posted here saying they wanted it? Let alone a majority, which would have been over 55,000. But I see it added. i would venture to say many more people want the up button than the rep system.

People have been requesting the rep system for years, and since this is a major code rewrite IPS added it. The up button as in my case is useless. I have a track ball mouse with a scroll wheel, it's faster to just use it. There could be other reasons it was removed. But IPS are the ones that have to support the code and they have to make the final decision on its code content.

There is an old saying " You can please some of the people all of the time, but not all the people all of the time" Parphrazed.

They evaluate the posted feedback against the needs of ALL of their customer base. (Not just the people who post on the forums here)

Some stuff evolves, some gets removed, and some gets added. Live with it or wait for a mod to come out that has the features you want.

Sometimes i see the "top" button a little useless and even more inside of each post. Besides of that the Rep is a system that need to be coded and is more heavier than the "top" button... the top button is just a "#"

Note: I'm not against the "top button" but we can find it in the forum footer... so why more of them?

Regards

Well everyone has their own opinions. But it's much quicker to "unskin" a top button than to add it. Saying they weigh feedback vs. what is for the good of the majority of the customers.... I definitely don't see how adding a button is against the good of the majority of customers. :) And I'm guessing many members on busy sites will repeatedly ask the admins where the top button went to. I used it constantly and as I said earlier haven't liked that VB didn't have one and now IPB makes it where neither does.

The top button near the copyright is pretty useless. Once people get all the way down to the bottom of the screen it becomes less useful. When you're in the middle of a large screen of text it's nice to have a button to click to get back to the top. And the way I look at it is that when I read posts I am kind of expecting to eventually stop at some post and click some button, whether it be reply, quote, report, or up. So the hand is trained to do that rather than press some shortcut key or use the vertical scrollbar.

The rep system was something added. The top button was something taken away. That's the difference. To please the other people, coding had to be done. To please people wanting an up button it takes not long at all.

No point in me trying to make a case for it though with the comments staff has amde regarding it. But they also said in the past theyw ere not going to add a rep system because it was better suited as a modification. I think the most professional thing to do is to say they care about everyone's opinions and anything is possible in the future. But instead they're blunt and say it isn't going to happen and act annoyed that it's even asked for. :)

For my own sanity there's no point in going back and forth on this, but just to clarify... my point wasn't that since I want some feature in it should be in. My original point was that if you go to a store do you honestly think if you ask about a particular item someone there is going to say such things as "this has been asked to death" or "there's more chance of the world ending than us doing what you're asking us to do"???? It's just not professional. These are customers posting these topics. Just because it's online doesn't mean it's ok to be rude about it. Maybe I'm the only one who cares how these posts came off, but I think if anyone gave these types of answers in person they would be in some trouble...

So that's really all I have to say on it and it's going to do no good anyway, so oh well. And the last thing I am saying about the up button is I liked it and I personally wish it was in there and think it should be considered since it's obviously been asked for by many people (otherwise Mark wouldn't have even made the comment he did). If it's NOT in then fine, everyone can't be pleased. But if not for a couple posts I was never going to say anything other than I wanted it in and that many others did and leave it at that. :P

Want to bet that the majority doesn't use it? And it's "ugly"? There's a button right in that same area right now, so if another button ther eis ugly then so is the report button apparently. With such blunt answers, though, I think nobody cares what the majority would want anyway.

Philippines Zone, what use is the tutorial if you didn't post where it is. :P Someone else told how to get the button back in also, but it didn't seem to work. Since that point I have not seen anyone else mention how. Unless you did it from scratch. But someone was saying it's left in the CSS, but simply commented out.

Indeed, I wouldn't mind betting.

BTW, I wounder if you people complaining actually think your doing good, or getting somewhere. Grow up and move on. It will be a mod.

Archived