Slow for Other's too?

Guest Yorkshireman

The out of cheese errors are getting a bit irritating as are the random IPS driver errors on some topics.

i am getting a lot of those IPS driver errors ?
i do hope the speed of this forum speeds up also, considering the amount of actual members online its very slow indeed.
whens it going to be optimised ?

It's *BEING* optimized, and has been so for the last several days. There are a couple posts about it here.

They've said that while they're doing this, the access times to the forum will vary, and perhaps considerably.

I was getting some errors earlier today, but they're not a problem now. Speed is good at the moment.

For me speed has been much better overall, but we're still actively working on a ton of things.

Changes from the past week off the top of my head (there have been many more...)

• Clearing old skin templates out of skin files
  • Removing wordwrap functionality on this forum (was a huge slowdown)
  • Super-secret feature Matt is working on :P
  • Moving certain skin templates to other files to reduce memory overhead
  • Changes to skin caching routine to next extend output to reduce overhead
  • Clearing out old code in topics library related to topic markers (no longer used code)
  • Combining of some bbcode libraries to reduce number of classes
  • Some minor changes to custom fields to reduce overhead
  • Some changes to profile page to reduce overhead when listing a user's friends
  • Fixed major bug in session handling that was causing sessions to be kept for 60 hours instead of 60 minutes, causing a lot of overhead
  • Cleanup to access member properties that was causing more resources than necessary
  • Major bug fixes to online list causing a lot of overhead
  • Fixed some areas not properly pre-loading caches it needed
  • Removed auto-detecting of SEO templates causing some additional overhead on board index
  • Some other small changes regarding SEO

We're very actively working on speed and memory. Already this site has begun to get a lot faster, and we're not done. Replying to this topic at this point is like beating a dead horse really. ;)

just wondering what's up with all the caching..

Most are saying the topics are slow.
69 queries for a fresh topic load? (my test site). Is that really benefiting anything? I'm sure the cache is used in other places besides topics (I hope).
After refreshing, the load time isn't even close compared to 2.x. (even after the cache).

I know you are still working on it. So I'll shut up now. :P

(this was using beta 4/ FF3 I noticed this)

Honestly, I don't foresee topics getting much faster than a second. While we're still benchmarking and tweaking, as has been said before it's probably unrealistic to expect speeds better than 2.x. The test is going to be in how well IPB3 scales, not in raw speed of a single page load. There's a lot more modularity and plugin/hook functionality, as well as a lot of new features, so there's going to be some hit from that no matter what way you cut it.

Honestly, I don't foresee topics getting much faster than a second. While we're still benchmarking and tweaking, as has been said before it's probably unrealistic to expect speeds better than 2.x. The test is going to be in how well IPB3 scales, not in raw speed of a single page load. There's a lot more modularity and plugin/hook functionality, as well as a lot of new features, so there's going to be some hit from that no matter what way you cut it.

Is it possible to turn off some of the newer features added and get closer to the performance of 2.3.6?
(in the admin cp)

Just curious.

Possibly, though some of the overhead also comes into being from the modularity as I said. Because things are separated as modules, we can do a lot more stuff (especially in terms of integration) without having to change the core - which means a lot of cool things to come. Things like the centralized search are only possible due to this modularity really, but in turn it means more files need to be required and there's overhead in managing it: a tradeoff in functionality vs performance (though we are working to consolidate some of this where possible).

You could certainly turn off things like friendly urls, the new reputation system, etc. and reduce some overhead, but I couldn't say if you'd hit the same execution speed as 2.3 or not. In all honesty, at present I'm not seeing a lot of difference in speed between 3.0 and 2.3 here on these forums (after our latest batch of optimizations) but that's just me.

I try to describe my issue: When I am scrolling with wheel on mouse I see some kind of "lagging". Page is scrolling fine but suddenly it stops (for 0,5 sec) then starts rolling again, then again stop for 0,5 sec etc.

This issue has appeared only here in threads. It's annoying.

Archived