congratulations on v3!

Guest Mesmer

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did anybody notice how slow it is??? :P

Its been pretty fast for me, the occasionally slow down but this is a new version so I expect that there will be some tweaking involved to improve performance, especially now that its used in the live IPS site.

Mine came across ok. I don;t recall hearing anyone mention this yet, but I certainly could have missed it.

Yeah, mine finally did too but was delayed at first.

Apologies if this has already been asked/answered and I missed it but at what point will we be able to directly start editing skins in the ACP again?

[i]No[/i] software will have a default skin that will please everyone.

And what's the purpose in saying the skin is bad or the skin is ugly? That's not helpful feedback, helpful feedback is when you [i]explain[/i] what's wrong with it, when you [i]explain[/i] why you don't like it. So far all you've said is you don't like the skin, you haven't explained [i]why[/i] you don't like the skin.

If you're going to give helpful feedback then fine, but what you're doing now isn't feedback, it's pointless complaining.

Think you need to use the little search feature you'll see the posts I've submitted in the past in the bets stages on the testing board all my helpful feedback thank you :)

To prove my point of the reputation system be useless, for some reason people have decided to give me a bad reputation for stating my opinion.

To who ever may be adding negative points to my reputation, a big thank you for proving my point.
Children are the only ones who will find this addition useful and will abuse it. Reputation should be a means of determining who can be trusted and who can not be trusted.
How in the hell can this be decided if you can pull negatives right out of your ass?

I fully expect another 10 or 20 negatives my way. At least vBulletin doesn't allow this type of system as it can be abused and holds no merit unless it can be controlled.

To prove my point of the reputation system be useless, for some reason people have decided to give me a bad reputation for stating my opinion.

[b][i]Reputation: -14 [/i][i]Bad

[/i][/b]

To who ever may be adding negative points to my reputation, a big thank you for proving my point.

Children are the only ones who will find this addition useful and will abuse it.[b][i] [/i][/b]Reputation should be a means of determining who can be trusted and who can not be trusted.

How in the hell can this be decided if you can pull negatives right out of your ass?[b][i]

[/i][/b]I fully expect another 10 or 20 negatives my way[i][b].[/b][/i][b][i] [/i][/b]At least vBulletin doesn't allow this type of system as it can be abused and holds no merit unless it can be controlled.[b][i]

[/i][/b]

I think you're being a little overdramatic to be honest. Reputation is a feature that was requested a lot, hence it's inclusion. It also has controls that go along with it, such as disabling negative reps, and limits on the number of reps that can be given per day. We haven't enabled those here yet, though. If you don't like it on your board, you can turn it off or configure it to your liking very easily.

If it has some uses, I'm not sure what they are.

It is possible to switch it off in AdminCP of course. I also understand that it's possible to limit who can vote, and how many times they can vote in any given time period.

Clicking a 'minus' button is oh so easy compared with posting a contrary argument, which is what I'd rather see.

Thus far, I don't think we'll switch it on.

But I would say, don't take it personally Comtech. :)

I do agree a reputation system that allows "negative" reputation is bad, Rikki was that a feature requested or was its simply requested a "reputation system".

What I've seen implemented through a mod is a "Thanks" system, where if you like a post you can click thanks, and your name, along with any others who've "thanked" that post will then appear under the post with option to remove your thanks. This doesn't allow for negative abuse, also shows who's said they agree / thank that comment. Easy enough to make it so if the list gets too long it hides the names with a little "Click to show who's thanked this post" and just not have the who's thanked box there if the post has no thanks, that keeps it from cluttering the forum as well as making it a useful feedback for posts.

Perhaps IPS could think about modding the reputation system to be more like this?

[b]At least vBulletin doesn't allow this type of system[/b] as it can be abused and holds no merit unless it can be controlled.

that's odd considering several VB sites I visit all use a rep system :blink: one of which has just removed the ability to neg, can't confirm for myself that it is a feature by default because I don't have the software but they do have the means for it whether it be a mod or feature

I can see why some people would want such a feature, sure not something I'd use on my board because I know a member of mine who would abuse it :rolleyes: as she does the topic rating feature :rolleyes: but always nice to have a feature that can be enabled / disabled in admin without having to locate a mod to do the job

P.S I am actually finding the forum loading quite fast, quicker than previous times, am annoyed at seeing broken images as Avatars for people who never had them (IPS default) & still a lot of broken smilies but apart from that, good to see 3 in action on a working board

Archived