Dump IP.Blog and develop bridge module only

Guest ikillbill

IP.Blog , seriously is not competivie at all

It positions itself "NOT a normal blog like", but don't we all here want our members use it as their own blog?
It claims it is not competing with e.g. wordpress, but in reality, IT IS!

I really think IPS should dump the IP.blog project and focus on developing Bridge module to some popular Blog scripts out there

Wordpress and IP.Blog, which one our members will pick up?

don't be afraid of losing $, you could charge bridge module too, so everyone is happy and you will even get MORE sales on IP.Board license. Stay on core please

cheers

This totally depends on what your members like and don't like. I for one know that the vast majority of people on a site I frequently visit, love IP.Blog and how it works with IP.Board. Its personal preference. Some like it, some don't.

If you don't like it, then use something else. You could have tested it here before deciding whether or not you wanted it. Lastly, there is a software bridge available, IPS are in no way affiliated with the authors of that software though. Any problems it has should be directed towards them, not IPS.

http://www.invisionbridge.com/

This totally depends on what your members like and don't like. I for one know that the vast majority of people on a site I frequently visit, love IP.Blog and how it works with IP.Board. Its personal preference. Some like it, some don't.

If you don't like it, then use something else. You could have tested it here before deciding whether or not you wanted it. Lastly, there is a software bridge available, IPS are in no way affiliated with the authors of that software though. Any problems it has should be directed towards them, not IPS.

http://www.invisionbridge.com/

That bridge fails under a huge load. I wouldn't use it if you have a big site.

well, I am aware of that there are some modules, but none of them is working fine so far!
Also, people always like ones from official

to dump a IP.Blog is not a shame, it even brings in MORE incomes to IPS, think it over.

See what happens to nexus now

Get back to CORE, which is IP.Board, and it will help IPS in the end

You will start seeing TONS of wordpress users buying IP.Board for their own forums with good bridge system. Many blogs need a forum too!

I believe there is a plug in or some sort of thing that lets people create their own Wordpress blog.

Wordpress MU it's called.

http://mu.wordpress.org/

(would be really neat to see that integrated)

...but WP isn't very secure.

Leave WP's problems with WP then. If We choose WP, then we are responsible for it, not IPB's bridge system.

IPB could create as many as bridges to all popular blogs systme out there. If only 5% of WP users see bridge module and triger them to buy IP.Board's license, it is $$$$$ already

Leave WP's problems with WP then. If We choose WP, then we are responsible for it, not IPB's bridge system.

IPB could create as many as bridges to all popular blogs systme out there. If only 5% of WP users see bridge module and triger them to buy IP.Board's license, it is $$$$$ already

Even so, why "dump" IP.Blog entirely?

There are hundreds of sites out there that use IP.Blog and are very happy with it. Plus, for some less experienced forum Admins, IP.Blog is perfect. They don't have to edit anything or set other things up, it just installs and then works.

I can see your point about how many users it could potentially bring to IPS, but there is definitely no point in ditching the blog software all together. Regardless of how good the bridge is, nothing will integrate into IP.Board as seamlessly as a module designed for it.

I doubt this would ever happen (the total discontinuation of IP.Blog that is, not that a "bridge" would ever be developed).

The main product IPS offers, is IP.Board. This product has three optional modules and two freely available community developed components. If IPS were to take IP.Blog out of the picture and develop a "bridge" product instead, they would be prioritising another system (Wordpress or whatever) over their own.

You have said many times that it will attract a lot of customers who currently use software like Wordpress and want a forum to run alongside it. That's fine, for the people who want a forum to accompany their blog. So their blog being the main software and IP.Board being the "add-on".

Other people would want this the other way around, they would want a forum as their main application and the blog as an "add-on". Therefore, IP.Blog would be better suited for them.

Like I said before, it depends on personal preference. Some people like IP.Blog, others don't.

You are right ,

but don't forget IPS are doing business here, they pick bigger pie, well ok , maybe they don't, then they need to think about competition

VBB has GOOD bridge moduel for wordpress, so you see people then pick up VBB instead of IPB

We are talking about IP.Blog, but eventually, it will affect IP.Board

live exmaple
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291360

He even mentioned he likes IP.board more, but with lack of bridge modules to another scripts, in his case it is photo gallery, he chooses VBB

Super hero still needs to work with others in the world

^yeahthat! :lol:

it's kind of arogant to come here and tell a company to stop making a product that sells well and is recieved well by it's customers. And unless you are going to pay for everyone's blog license I suggest you take your arguement elsewhere. :rolleyes: I didn't just fork out a renewal for my IP Blog to have it 'dropped' because someone like you decides it's not good enough. :blink:

I'm afraid it would be highly unlikely for us to simply discontinue our IP.Blog software in favor of a bridge to another product. I don't make business decisions, but anyone holding an IP.Blog license shouldn't feel that they have anything to worry about right now.

I don't know if IPB should discontinue their Blog product, BUT I have to say it is waaaaaaaaaay too simplistic for what a lot of us are doing. I don't foresee Invision getting to the same level of details as SixApart or any of the other companies in this area...

I pretty much need something with the power of the forums IPB gives, but also the content management WP or MovableType or otherwise offers.

For a while, I was building my blog and MANUALLY adding links to the forum with an area for people to comment, but I really need this stuff IN THE BLOG.

So, for me, I've pretty much had to tell folks on my sites that they have to create accounts on both the blogs and the forums...it would be great if there was a login scheme that bridged through the major blogs out there as others have mentioned. Invision is going to mention they have Converge, but DAMN...why? Why can't there be some open system...I know the new IPB3 *READS* OpenID and builds an account around it, but have heard nothing about being an OpenID provider. This would be PERFECT...

Or maybe even developing a module that makes it even simpler...I'd buy it...

BTW -- I think IP's Blog isn't bad...it suits its purpose....but it just doesn't give into the content management and integration needed. Heck, I'd love to be able to see individual threads embeded into a site in a way that takes into account the style and look and feel of the site...this too would solve my problem.

The blog is a simple addon for blogging capabilities. If you want a full blown blog system, there are many products that fit the bill. You don't have to buy IP.Blog anyway...

But I will agree that I would like to see better integration between the user and someone's external blog, other than a link. You can view blog entires in someone's profile when using IP.Blog, but you can't when it's an external blog. Many blog softwares out there provide RSS feeds for blog topics... why not use those to display entires in profiles?

I do not agree, however, that a "bridge" would be better than IP.Blog. Reason being it's not very pretty trying to sync two different products with two different login schemes together. IP.Converge fits that somewhat, but it isn't perfect. IP.Blog is more for allowing members to create their very own blog, and having a "bridge" to create another blog in another software is rather pointless. If they have a blog already, they're going to link to it. If they don't, they can use the IP.Blog for simple blogging, and later on they can move on to a big blogging software and convert their IP.Blog to an external linked blog.

IP.Blog , seriously is not competivie at all

It positions itself "NOT a normal blog like", but don't we all here want our members use it as their own blog?

It claims it is not competing with e.g. wordpress, but in reality, IT IS!

I really think IPS should dump the IP.blog project and focus on developing Bridge module to some popular Blog scripts out there

Wordpress and IP.Blog, which one our members will pick up?

don't be afraid of losing $, you could charge bridge module too, so everyone is happy and you will even get MORE sales on IP.Board license. Stay on core please

cheers

Wordpress is designed as a full scale blog software, IP.Blog is designed as a community blog software, a way of allowing all your forum users to have a blog of their own on your site. They aren't the same and never will be, if you want something different from what IPS offers then hire someone to make that something.

^yeahthat! :lol:

it's kind of arogant to come here and tell a company to stop making a product that sells well and is recieved well by it's customers. And unless you are going to pay for everyone's blog license I suggest you take your arguement elsewhere. :rolleyes: I didn't just fork out a renewal for my IP Blog to have it 'dropped' because someone like you decides it's not good enough. :blink:

ya, you are right as long as IP.Blog is not disappearing, LOL

It is like that people worry about their own pension and are stubborn to help company more profitable

Look at US 's GM company now, if company dies, you get nothing

GM always claims that 'No, we don't need to compete with others, we are different and competition is not our purpose"

sound familiar here? :P

Good luck

I don't know if IP.blog has to go away, but my situation is that I'm removing it from my system as it hasn't been popular among my users and especially skinning issues has been a problem.

And I totally agree that it would be awesome if IPS could focus more on making bridges. Bridges are widely available for the competition and many webmasters has to look at how they can integrate content system with forum system.

Cool! And can you tell me how to export the 30,000 users and passwords from IPB into this?

Oh wait, you can't! Meaning that this advice is useless.

You can export whatever you want. Use something like phpMyAdmin. Its simple. Select the table and export its contents, then re-import them into another database. Sure, you would have to change some of the field names but unless every software developer starts using the same database structure, that's expected.

Just my 2 cents.

I chose to get IPB's suite because I liked IP.Blog and Gallery better then any other software out there.
It gets what I need to done and it's easily skinnable.

I can't say how many times I've attempted to use a CMS or Blog or Gallery software and I could never get it to look right. I'd fix something and then something else would look terrible. Fix that and something else wouldn't look right and that circle goes on for hours.

My users like IP.Blog, actually use them because they are right there on a forum they frequent and don't need to do anything special to get to them or have them off on another site.
Sure it's not a CMS, but why should it be? The blog to me is not for managing content, that's what I got Board for. <_<

Archived