Profile option suggestion

Guest Amy T

maybe this is already part of the system or going to be but one of my own members asked if it could be done.

Basically my idea is if you put some one on ignore make it so they can not view your profile and has a message saying this member has you blocked.

Maybe but its done on some of those social networks.

Or even an option to make your profile private would be nice.

The main idea for this is some members have links to sites in their profile and if They do not like some one and do not want that member on their site or to see the link they can block them. That and it keeps them from commenting although I think that is already blocked when you block some one.

Oh maybe instead of saying This member has you blocked say this member does not have a public profile and have the option for private profiles as well.

I agree with Jura... it would likely just lead to drama.

Also, I think there's one thing that should be pointed out, despite the fact IPB offers a lot of "social networking features", in the end it's still a forum software, and too many social networking features will end up hurting rather than helping. Forums focus on discussions, social networks tend to focus on profiles.

While I don't think private profiles or blocking people from viewing your profile should be default (or will be default for that matter), I'm 99.99% sure these features will end up as mods for 3.0, and I think I've seen them for 2.3 before.

Why not a 'limited profile' in that if a member is blocked, they can only see basic stuff (number of posts, link to view topics/posts, etc.) but leave off communication details (MSN, AIM, etc.), website, etc because a profile is still useful to see and it has more then a link to a user's site.

Why not a 'limited profile' in that if a member is blocked, they can only see basic stuff (number of posts, link to view topics/posts, etc.) but leave off communication details (MSN, AIM, etc.), website, etc because a profile is still useful to see and it has more then a link to a user's site.

Now I like that idea and it will help with the drama issue.

Come to think of it, that sounds pretty useful, no one wants people they're ignoring contacting them, as long as it doesn't give anyone a way to know they're being ignored that would be a good idea.

Archived