IPS ever thought of sales or packages?

Guest ^^MeX^^

How about: everything, FOREVER, unlimited support forever for like $$$

They tried that with IPB once before. $199 for unlimited support and upgrades.

It's not economically possible. There is a point where a customer costs more to retain than they paid in the first place, and that's when you get degraded service.

Yep its just like hosts that oversell you get less and less support.

I do have a life time License though and got it back when they offered it.

I still have to pay for the blog and gallery though.

You mean you don't have to pay for IPB updates... ever?
I contemplated buying a lifetime IPB license back in like 2004 or 2005. I really wish I had done it. :(

You mean you don't have to pay for IPB updates... ever?

I contemplated buying a lifetime IPB license back in like 2004 or 2005. I really wish I had done it. :(

Correct. We don't pay for support or upgrades. Unlike new customers, we even have phone support included (however unlike new customers, we don't have an SLA on our support agreement)

Not to sound stupid but whats an SLA?

A service level agreement (frequently abbreviated as SLA) is a part of a service contract where the level of service is formally defined. In practice, the term SLA is sometimes used to refer to the contracted delivery time (of the service) or performance.

I think a lifetime or if you have over X options be allowed to get into a bulk package and then just pay one renewal fee and have the option of getting no support but just pay for upgrades. Half the times I needed support it wasn't an issue with IPB it was a messed up server configuration or a modification triggered something. I don't even have IPB upgrade my board - I do it myself.

So that $25.00 I am really paying for is just so I can get updates. And $50.00 a year is really steep. I know we have IPS Resources now, and 3 is in development, but still a better solution needs to be found.

And allowing license transfers between active customers only! Thats another topic I have to start...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I miss the old licence options, they were exactly like vBulletin's with one small difference.
vB had a yearly and perpetual licence, but you still had to renew each year for upgrades, the only advantage of vB's perpetual licence is that you can continue to use the software when the support/upgrades expire. vB's yearly licence, if it expires, they require you to delete the forum software.

IPB had a yearly and perpetual licence, both gave you perpetual use of the software, unlike vB. The perpetual one had the advantage of perpetual upgrades. I can see why they removed that licence option, but it was a major saver considering that I have never needed IPB's support.

The Community Suite is nice, and considering that for most of my Standard Licences, I have a matching Gallery and Blog licence, I would prefer the option of converting some of those into community suite licences... to reduce the renewal costs... but at the same time.. as with any good piece of software, I'm happy to support it.

I think to make blog system free is the best option to go because IP.Blog is far far behind most FREE blog systems out there

our MOST FAQ
Q1: Why we cold not change logo/header while facebook and myspace is do-able?
Q2: why so few themes to choose while even free wordpress have so many free templates to pick up
Q3: give me 3 reasons to use your blog instead of yahoo's blog

I think to make blog system free is the best option to go because IP.Blog is far far behind most FREE blog systems out there

our MOST FAQ

Q1: Why we cold not change logo/header while facebook and myspace is do-able?

Q2: why so few themes to choose while even free wordpress have so many free templates to pick up

Q3: give me 3 reasons to use your blog instead of yahoo's blog

The community blog is NOT a replacement or a comparable product to, for example, Wordpress. It is a different approach to blogging, and as such will not function the same.

Still, (1) will likely be addressed, (2) we have no real control over (though Rikki has indicated he'd like to make a few themes to help people get started once he has time, and (3) ...Yahoo has a blog?

Archived