Suggestion: Signature Permissions by Forum

Guest rbiss

To the user disagreeing on complexity...
Its two settings, per forum, per group.

2*(# of forums)*(# of groups) is a lot of combinations.
With a simple setup of ten forums, 5 groups... thats 100 settings.

And I'd be willing to guess most places have a few more than ten forums and 5 groups (admin, super mod, mod, user, banned, validating, guest is seven in the default itself!)

Thank you Michael.

I still don't understand why you don't want to include this setting. It's a common setting in other forums, like Big Boards or PHPBB. In Big Boards forum, moreover, if a user writes two or more posts, it only shows signature in the first one.

Big boards is neither a forum nor a forum software, I'm assuming you're likely talking about The Admin Zone's Big-Boards section.

If that is the case, the signature appearing only in the first post in a thread there, that's a mod, and not a default feature of any forum software that I'm aware of.

To the user disagreeing on complexity...

Its two settings, per forum, per group.

2*(# of forums)*(# of groups) is a lot of combinations.

With a simple setup of ten forums, 5 groups... thats 100 settings.

And I'd be willing to guess most places have a few more than ten forums and 5 groups (admin, super mod, mod, user, banned, validating, guest is seven in the default itself!)

I only want to Enable/disable signature per user group, not per forum. It's only one setting for the whole forum.

I only want to Enable/disable signature per user group, not per forum. It's only one setting for the whole forum.

Thats not a bad idea because then you could set up new members not to be able to have a signature until they have so many posts.

There are many boards with many reasons why it would be good to manage forum signature permissions. I'll provide one example. A pregnancy and infertility site (topics found in just about any women's health site). Sites like that often have issues around inappropriate use of signatures, particularly in certain forums. One forum within the board may be specific to miscarriage, for example. It looks damn tacky for the site to allow responders to parade their own pregnancies around in the same thread as someone who just announced losing a baby. It's not just about the original poster having the ability to turn off signatures, it's the reputation of the site for everyone to see that type of activity. Sometimes these sites shut the signature systems off because of it. What a shame to take down a great feature because it can't be managed properly. A forum permission feature makes the whole issue easier to manage. For some women's health sites that might be the most important feature a board can offer. Women's health is a pretty big market.

There are many boards with many reasons why it would be good to manage forum signature permissions. I'll provide one example. A pregnancy and infertility site (topics found in just about any women's health site). Sites like that often have issues around inappropriate use of signatures, particularly in certain forums. One forum within the board may be specific to miscarriage, for example. It looks damn tacky for the site to allow responders to parade their own pregnancies around in the same thread as someone who just announced losing a baby. It's not just about the original poster having the ability to turn off signatures, it's the reputation of the site for everyone to see that type of activity. Sometimes these sites shut the signature systems off because of it. What a shame to take down a great feature because it can't be managed properly. A forum permission feature makes the whole issue easier to manage. For some women's health sites that might be the most important feature a board can offer. Women's health is a pretty big market.

yep you are very much correct so would love to see this added as a default feature.

Archived