Suggestion: Signature Permissions by Forum

Guest rbiss

I don't know if this is in the works but if it isn't it would be great if it could be integrated. I would like to be able to change a couple of forums so that signatures don't appear. I would like to control that from the admin side and not have to edit out signatures or rely on members to remember to disable the signature when posting. If the ability to do that can be integrated into 3.0 it will be appreciated.

Not only permissions by forums, I need as well signature and avatar permissions per user group. My forum is growing and growing and I need to create premium members with subscription. Premium members must have more privileges than free users. I think this mod is not difficult to implemet.

More permissions means more problems, more to worry about, etc.

I really agree here, it shouldn't be default, however I'm curious now as to the IPB 3 permission system and whether it could address this...

2 settings more means more problems? I think you are exagerating a lot.

Not only permissions by forums, I need as well signature and avatar permissions per user group. My forum is growing and growing and [b]I need to create premium members with subscription[/b]. Premium members must have more privileges than free users. I think this mod is not difficult to implemet.

If they add this, everyone will start pushing for permissions they want you know.

For this reason I need to create subscriptions, with payment of course.

For this reason I need to create subscriptions, with payment of course.

I meant everyone would start pushing IPS for permissions, not you.

If they caved into this one, then more and more the software would become a bloated mess.

They'll add what they add, and as Josh confirmed, it will be possible to add new permissions with IPB 3's permission system, so you could always ask for a mod. ;)

I can't see any need of this. Even adding it wouldn't be a problem for IPS -like many of other suggestions-, it's better to stay away from extreme details. It won't add any value to the software and adding more unnecessary controls, more unnecessary queries would make IPB a piece of junk.

You said adding an extra query wouldn't hurt so here you go:

Think that you've 15 posts on one page of topic (which is the standard) it means 15 queries more to parse the page. Let's say this topic has 3 pages (45 queries) and 3 people is viewing it at the same time. Each user reads a page in a minute so you'll have 135 more queries just in 3 minutes on only 1 topic. (without caching or join queries)

Not only permissions by forums, I need as well signature and avatar permissions per user group. My forum is growing and growing and I need to create premium members with subscription. Premium members must have more privileges than free users.

I totally agree! This is exactly the type of thing that I requested a year ago in this thread about User-Group Permissions.

It's not "needed", and it should be a mod, not a standard feature.

If anything's not "needed" and should be added with a mod it's the signatures themselves! What are they good for?! Signatures are, in general, a visual diarrhoea that pollutes many online forums. For example, who wants to read through all that gibberish you've got in your sig (again and again, every single time you post)? I mean... seriously.

Unfortunately, in IP.Board, there's currently no effective way for admins to control the use of signatures (i.e., which groups can use them and whether they can add links and signature graphics, etc.). Since signatures are a standard feature, it would be nice if admins could have some form of permission-based control over them!

If anything's not "needed" and should be added with a mod it's the signatures themselves! What are they good for?! Signatures are, in general, a visual diarrhoea that pollutes many online forums. For example, who wants to read through all that gibberish you've got in [i]your[/i] sig (again and again, every single time you post)? I mean... seriously.

Unfortunately, in IP.Board, there's currently no effective way for admins to control the use of signatures (i.e., which groups can use them and whether they can add links and signature graphics, etc.). Since signatures are a standard feature, it would be nice if admins could have some form of permission-based control over them!

Just to let you know, you have a signature too. :rolleyes:

Also, "Maximum length (in bytes) for user signatures", set that to 0 and you can't add a signature I believe, since you seem to hate them so much. <_<

Just to let you know, you have a signature too. :rolleyes:

I am aware of that. But my signature is just one simple URL. It's not packed with multiple links, useless random quotes, annoying banner graphics, or any other repetitive mess that is so prevalent in signature files these days.

This is something that can be accomplished very easily with the addition of one single setting to select which forums to suppress signatures in, and one change to the Topic View -> RenderRow template to check that setting. It hardly even constitutes making a mod out of it.

EDIT: Made this tutorial to show you how to achieve this.

Who said they didn't want to include this setting? Just because a setting exists in one brand of forum software, does that mean all others need it too? What would make IPB IPB then if it just copies settings and features of other types of forums?

Archived