and they don't stop ALL the bots

alot of bots still get through the "captcha" image

so having something like the

"what is 4 = 9? = "

that system seems to work

but im sorry the captcha is NOT 100% full proof

so a better one would be nice

I'm sorry, but you fail. 4 =/= 9.

That exact system would be no better than capcha. If implemented enough, bots could easily be made to scrape the request and do the math just as they scrap images and process the "code" out of them...(a bit more complicated than simple math don't you think?)

Nothing is, or ever will be, 100% fool-proof. Especially with human run registrations available for cheapo costs (think telemarketing for the web)

There's an exisiting mod by (I think) Calypso that does what you want: Asks a question, and requires an answer that a bot isn't going to know. You can get quite creative with it, too. You can also change it as often as you like.

One of the questions I asked was "What is three, plus four, plus five. Spell the answer in capital letters."
The user has to enter "TWELVE".

It's true that it won't keep "human-bots" out, but should keep out the ones that are terminally stupid.

I would fail to answer that question, I'm sure.

jeez we got some real pernickety people on here :lol:
im pretty sure u gathered what i meant

That exact system would be no better than capcha. If implemented enough, bots could easily be made to scrape the request and do the math just as they scrap images and process the "code" out of them...(a bit more complicated than simple math don't you think?)

re-read i said "something like"
obviously have something more advanced like:
"Type 345 in letters ="

im not sayin math questions are the answer
im saying something more sophisticated than what there is

There's an exisiting mod by (I think) Calypso that does what you want: Asks a question, and requires an answer that a bot isn't going to know. You can get quite creative with it, too. You can also change it as often as you like.

^ Yea i know of this mod
but im asking for one to be built INTO IPB3
not where you have to go get it
because lets face it
no-one wants bots on their forum

Firstly, I've seen no evidence computer bots can read our advanced captcha images. If you have evidence (and not anecdotal evidence such as "lots of bots register on my site") to the contrary I'd be interested in seeing it.

Secondly, at any time you can put additional background images AND additional fonts into the appropriate directories to further randomize the automatically generated image. If you have some crazy (but readable...that is important) font for instance, it's unlikely any bot is going to be prepared to be able to scrape it.

Thirdly, what you want to do is already possible via custom profile fields. I see it all the time in all honesty - you create a custom profile field, allow it to show on registration, etc., and put a question in. Then you put the answer in the "expected format" field. Quite easy, no modification really required, you can change it at any time.

Thirdly, what you want to do is already possible via custom profile fields. I see it all the time in all honesty - you create a custom profile field, allow it to show on registration, etc., and put a question in. Then you put the answer in the "expected format" field. Quite easy, no modification really required, you can change it at any time.

I agree there too. You forgot "mark it as required" as well though :D

Archived