Bug Handling

Guest TestingSomething

Someone really should talk to Brandon about handling bugs if he is going to continue to be the one handling them.

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...;showissue=8941

Look how he keeps locking my bug reports and insisting it "can't be a bug" because it "works for him". I mean seriously hasn't he been working on this software for long enough to comprehend that MANY bugs have been confirmed that "didn't happen to him"? There ahve bbeen several people on here saying the same exact thing happens to them. In both Yahoo and Gmail accounts.

So apparently we are to believe that several people are high and having hallucinations when they post in the bug tracker. I'm not turning this into some big deal or I would link to cases where he insisted something wasn't a bug (not just said he couldn't reproduce, but pretty much mocked the bug report even being made and made fun of me or someone else) and then it turned out later it was a confirmed and fixed bug!

I really think IPS should care about customer support because it gets really old that staff pretty much acts like they are doing a favor by fixing something. Nope. You're doing your job.

As far as the bug itself, I guess I am just screwed and have to change all of my forum email addresses to my domain one to be sure I even get everything. A pain considering how many forums I go to, but hey if something is noteven going to. And it's not a support issue becuase it's not even my BOARD, it's many boards. Started all at once for me and other customers and I have not changed a single setting in yahoo.

Thanks

As regards to the issue that you have linked to and most others like that, the staff only have to check out the problems here on these forums. If it doesn't happen here, then its more than likely something you have done to produce such results. In the case of email filtering (going into Spam folders) that can be caused by your server being blacklisted or an overly strict Spam Filter, amongst other reasons.

At the end of the day, IPS are running their software right here, so if someone reports something, their first port-of-call is to go and see if they can reproduce it here. If that cannot be done then maybe they will look elsewhere but they don't really have the need to. If it does not occur on this site (fresh install with no mods) then they can only presume that its caused by something you have personally done.

Just my thoughts on the subject...

Don't take this the wrong way, but I really think you have too much time on your hands.

Brandon knows what he's talking about - sometimes there are inconsistencies, but come on, the guy is only human.

Sometimes I report a bug and it get's marked as "not really a bug" (or whatever the terminology is) - I might argue my case a bit, but at the end of the day - as I said, he knows what he is talking about - he is bloody good at his job and I think it's a little bit unfair that all you do is complain he doesn't do it perfectly. Don't feel like you're the only one getting their bugs marked as not bugs, I really think Brandon is a bit more mature than that.

If you aren't happy with a decision, why not just edit the code to fix it youself?

Don't take this the wrong way, but I really think you have too much time on your hands.

Brandon knows what he's talking about - sometimes there are inconsistencies, but come on, the guy is only human.

Sometimes I report a bug and it get's marked as "not really a bug" (or whatever the terminology is) - I might argue my case a bit, but at the end of the day - as I said, he knows what he is talking about - he is bloody good at his job and I think it's a little bit unfair that all you do is complain he doesn't do it perfectly. Don't feel like you're the only one getting their bugs marked as not bugs, I really think Brandon is a bit more mature than that.

If you aren't happy with a decision, why not just edit the code to fix it youself?

Well said!

He really has a lot of work to be getting on with to help improve the products that you are using, but if he marks one of your bug reports as "Bogus" or "Unconfirmed" its for a good reason! As Professor P said, he knows what he is talking about so at least give him some respect and talk to him in the correct manor.

No. This software would get NOWHERE if Brandon just tried everythign here one time and then didnt listen to feed back and ask for more questions. You seriously think most of the bugs which have been fixed were bugs he immediately reproduced???

I mean wow, the installer itself wouldn't work for many people if they just say oh it worked here, so it's not a software issue.

I have beenr eceiving emails from forumsd for 4+ years. I think I would know if I changed any setting and if you read what others say, you will see that for gmail some people aren't getting them in spam folder OR inbox (same with me there too, and yahoo i have all junk mail go automatically to trash becuase I was getting hundreds per day).

This isn't about ME. I know how to remedy it for ME already,. it's about the fact that countless people on all of these sites are going to not be receiving emails and never notice it.

What EXACTLY would you like them to do? PHP scripts send emails using the mail() function - there is nothing special about it that would make it not work with a certain provider or domain because that is not how EMails work. If it is not being picked up by the receiver, it is a problem with THEIR service provider, not IPS.

It's like if you try to make a phone call, and it doesn't work - but you can call every other number - the problem is with the person you are trying to call's phone, not yours.

I am getting EMails, Brandon is getting EMails - every bloody person is getting EMails except you (and a few others, but I believe you are using the same provider) so it is a problem on YOUR end.

There is obviously a spam filter with yahoo, msn, etc. Obviously any software which sends an email needs to know what those email providers are picking up to determine that it is spam. For the tenth time this did not happen until the past week. obviously something changed and obviously there arew ays around it or I wouldn't be getting true spam in my main index like crazy every day.

Also in the past I have specifically seen companies talk to AOL and other email providers about issues with emails getting through.

So what do you think should be done? Have people using yahoo never receive emails? Well there's a plan!

Okay I went to check the email box that I use for this forum and it has LOTS of emails from this forum so it works for me.. That is all so using Gmail!

Isn't working for a lot of other people.

I wonder if I change the email method away from phpmail if that would make any difference at all. I don't think methods matter.

There is obviously a spam filter with yahoo, msn, etc. Obviously any software which sends an email needs to know what those email providers are picking up to determine that it is spam. For the tenth time this did not happen until the past week. obviously something changed and obviously there arew ays around it or I wouldn't be getting true spam in my main index like crazy every day.

Also in the past I have specifically seen companies talk to AOL and other email providers about issues with emails getting through.

So what do you think should be done? Have people using yahoo never receive emails? Well there's a plan!

Im using Yahoo! Mail for my site and I receive all topic subscription updates and PM notifications. This mail never gets put into my spam folder. I use my Gmail account for this site and have never had any problems sending or receiving any mail. So I think we can safely say, its not really an issue with IP.Board or any other IPS software...

Im using Yahoo! Mail for my site and I receive all topic subscription updates and PM notifications. This mail never gets put into my spam folder. I use my Gmail account for this site and have never had any problems sending or receiving any mail. So I think we can safely say, its not really an issue with IP.Board or any other IPS software...

You've used it today and it is flat out sent to your yahoo address and not forwarded? I receive ones forwarded from my domain email address to yahoo address. But ones straight to yahoo don't arrive. And it's mighty intersting that I did nothing at all to change settings yet it was working fine last week and the 4 years prior to it and now it stops.

In fact if you receive them that is actually just more reason to believe it's IPB causing it or everyone using yahoo wold be receiving them. Either IPB or server setup maybe. There are bugs that happen on this very site which are called bogus, so whatever I don't know why I am surprised this doesn't even get looked into.

Anyway this is the company feedback section and I gave my feedback. So there ya go. Staff does not act like we have paid them anything. I mean if I go into a store and say a product is doing something undesirable, whether it is the product's fault or not, you seriously think they are going to say it in a rude way and the customer just go on about their business? The customer is not going to like it.

Whatever. i've said my feedback. As more people have it happen to them, something will be done to rectify the situation. It just doesn't exactly help your business if you talk down to customers though.

Anyway this is the company feedback section and I gave my feedback. So there ya go. Staff does not act like we have paid them anything. I mean if I go into a store and say a product is doing something undesirable, whether it is the product's fault or not, you seriously think they are going to say it in a rude way and the customer just go on about their business? The customer is not going to like it.

Whatever. i've said my feedback. As more people have it happen to them, something will be done to rectify the situation. It just doesn't exactly help your business if you talk down to customers though.

Its all very well saying that you were spoken to in a rude manner, but you haven't come across to me as a very well-mannered person on these forums...So if you wish to be spoken to with respect, maybe you should show some respect to other users and especially the staff here! ;)

If you want me to stop being "rude" to you, perhaps you could take a stab at it too.

I don't come across as a well-mannered person becuase I was that way for a year or two and then got tired of how thigns were being said to me and practices I don't think are right. Besides whether I am rude or not shouldn't be a factor because people on staff on company forums are supposed to be able to handle things in professional manners, not get mad at the customer for giving feedback.

Basher, ultimately, it's a support issue. You refuse to renew your support however and instead post every issue you experience in the bug tracker.

Yes, a lot of times we can't reproduce an issue, someone submits a ticket, we reproduce it on their site, and find that a particular server setup or configuration causes the problem. We will fix it to the best of our ability in those cases. But, it first requires you to submit that ticket so we can test it in action...

I'm afraid I don't know what else to tell you. I've explained this to you at least 2 dozen times in our bug tracker. If it's not an issue we can reproduce, you need to submit a ticket. It's your right not to renew your support - more power to you. But please stop acting like every issue you experience MUST be a bug in IPB and that we should immediately be able to reproduce the issue, know what caused it, and fix it just because you are experiencing the problem. It doesn't work that way.

Archived