merging to members - possible? how?

Guest Tariel Zivzivadze

It's a bit tricky to MERGE because each member has their own unique name, email, password, signature, settings, PMs, posts, etc. etc.

SO, it'd be nice to have a feature built in that:

Delete member-x and transfer all Posts and PMs under member-y's name.

-1, it will break many mods. This feature would never be able to tell what it would need to do to merge two accounts that have mod related data separate from each other. And then what about merging all items from 2 accounts on a board that has IPG, IDM, ICB, etc. installed?

It's not pessimism, nor is it negative, it's feedback from a modder's perspective, from someone who knows the ins and outs of how the database works. It's all fine to merge stuff that's built-in with the board, but consider what would happen in a large mod, like a Shoutbox mod. You've got a bunch of items, shouts in this case, associated with what used to be two accounts. The mod would almost certainly be designed so that there is a new database table for shouts, and each shout is associated with a member ID#, which is then joined to the ibf_members table. If this feature comes along and it merges members, it's not going to touch the new table for this mod, now all of a sudden you've got rows in your mod's table that have foriegn keys missing, very very bad for databases.

I don't mind being disagreed with, but simply adding a +1 without addressing the points I brought up doesn't negate anything. ;)

i guess it kinda of depends how the mod works, if it merges X account into Y account then the ID would that of Y account so technically that'd still be in the db, sure all of X's data would be loss but i guess thats something they'd have to live with as simply the merge tool should really only worry about things it knows exists by default. Merging member X and Y and create a new member is another way of doing which wouldn't also break anything since most mods would just see them a new member. If it is a ipb 3.0 feature then its possible to create a hook to take into consideration other mods so modders can extend the function to add in their own merge abilities. As for dead data that falls to the modder to create cleanup tools because if a member is deleted then exactly the same position would arise that you spoke about michael and you can't control that.

At the same time, if said tool exists, there could/should be a way for mods to reach in and tell it to call merge function Y during the process. :)

I've already got this tool somewhere...If I can find it I'll post it.

While I understand that it is going to cause problems with mods - surely if you're wanting to be using the merge tool, what you're going to be doing is going to break these mods anyway?

I mean, you have 2 accounts - rather than deleting one account, this addition serves the purpose of merging them, which, yes, will break mods, but so would have deleting one of the accounts.

Yes, exactly, both are bad for database integrity (which is why I also almost never delete accounts).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referential_integrity

I agree with you - I never delete accounts either, but that feature is there and so the modding issues shouldn't be a reason to not have this feature.

Sometimes people might have problems logging in and create a new account just to PM the admin, then when the problem is fixed, the admin deletes the new account - but it would be much better, really, if the accounts were merged - that way the user could continue to post until the problem is fixed and not loose the PMs they sent to the admin, etc.

Archived