Php 4 To Php 5

Guest bwyatt

We tried to upgrade our server to php 5, but all the php on my forum wouldn't parse, the browser just tried to download it. Is there a setting(s) I need to change that tells IPB that we're now using php 5? Any tips on migrating to mysql 5 while we're on the subject would be nice too. :)

Thanks for any help.

are you on apache [cgi / mod ??] ?

did you check your webservers config-file and did you reload [[i]invoke-rc.d apache2 restart[/i]] the configuration file/s?

for me it seems that your apache(2?) config file was not properly setted up...

i

• 2 months later...

My host is 1and1 and they recently advised me that I must move to PHP4 from PHP3 as they were removing PHP3. They also suggested moving to PHP5 if I could to gain security benefits.

Their advice was this:

guarantee that PHP 4 scripts will function 100% correctly under PHP 5. Please note that in contrast to PHP 4, the default for the variable RegisterGlobals is "off". By default Apache uses PHP 4 for .php extension. If you don't want to rename all your scripts to .php5 you can do the following: Create a .htaccess file and place the following line AddType x-mapp-php5 .php in it. This will tell Apache to use PHP 5 instead of PHP 4 for the extension .php in the directory the .htaccess is placed and all sub-directories under it.

While the PHP developers have done their utmost to ensure compatibility, we cannot

As it was only one file I tried it, place the .htaccess file at the root of my forum directory and am now running on PHP 5.2.4.

Archived